Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people carry an extra magazine for their EDC, no matter which model Glock it is. I've heard people say they do carry an extra for ammo capacity, malfunctions, etc. I feel that my 23 has ample capacity for any encounter I might need. But, in the heat of a dangerous encounter, the last thing you would want to do is clear a weapon and reload. I love the 36 because the single stack makes its easy to conceal an extra magazine. Just curious. :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
While capacity is not a problem, an extra mag makes sense if only from the "failure" standpoint...If your carry mag has an issue, at least you can drop it, and and load the spare... :)..only makes sense...with any semi-auto pistol.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Yes sir sure do, if I had a crystal ball and could tell the future I could tell if I needed one I would but you can't preempt a gun fight. A mag failure in the middle of a gun fight would be devastating without a change out

·
Banned
966 Posts
From what I've read by people who write self-defense books, if you need more than a full mag in a deadly encounter, and you're not a soldier or a LEO, you're in WAY over your head and probably need more than a spare mag to get out alive. But, the gun retailers have mags to sell so they'll politely disagree.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It doesent cost a thing to carry an extra mag, so I do just that. I have more than one mag per Glock anyway.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
From what I've read by people who write self-defense books, if you need more than a full mag in a deadly encounter, and you're not a soldier or a LEO, you're in WAY over your head and probably need more than a spare mag to get out alive. But, the gun retailers have mags to sell so they'll politely disagree.
What happens if you have a failure or a jam and you have to drop the mag to clear the gun and lose it are you going to going to hold your hand up and ask for a cease-fire? Most of us will never be in a gun battle but I hate to be the one that is and run out of ammo
This won't happen to most of us but it does happen to someone

[video=youtube;THqDidIr4Xs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THqDidIr4Xs[/video]

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

While there is some validity in what you're saying, the real issue is not whether you have enough rounds, but what happens if your "carry" mag has an issue...and you're not carrying a spare mag, because "you have enough rounds in your carry mag"
That which you shared applies to those same soldiers and LEO's as well...they can get in way over their head, too...They just usually have more back up...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the great responses. No doubt I will carry an extra for the 23. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I carry a Glock 36 with a Ghost 3.5 connector, extended mag release, extended slide release, a Pierce 0 Extender, an Ameriglo front sight and Falcon grips. Although, I have several extra mags for the range, when carrying , I have one in the pipe, making a total of seven rounds. Although, I have a carrier for IDPA. For daily carry, I do not carry extra magazines.

·
Banned
966 Posts
While there is some validity in what you're saying, the real issue is not whether you have enough rounds, but what happens if your "carry" mag has an issue...and you're not carrying a spare mag, because "you have enough rounds in your carry mag"
That which you shared applies to those same soldiers and LEO's as well...they can get in way over their head, too...They just usually have more back up...
And they're in situations where that might actually happen. Look, carry a suitcase full of mags if it makes you feel safer, I'm just saying I see no advantage to it in modern "urban warfare", which is 99.999999% going to the grocery store and saying Hi to that neighbor lady whose name escapes you.

And besides, I've had mag failures (FTL, FTE, etc.) at the range and to fix them I always had to clear the round from the chamber first, then re-rack and I'm good to go. How does having 50 spare mags in my underwear make that any quicker? It's still faster than clearing the round, dropping the "bad" mag, fumbling around in your pants for a spare, putting it in and racking, and I still have 13 of the 14 rounds I thought I had and now we're right back to my original statement.

Not trying to convince anybody of anything, just telling you why I don't clutter my life with yet another worry. The worry that I'll ever need to even have a gun is near nil, but I realize a lot of people can't go to the refrigerator for a beer without holstering up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Odds are the bad guys will have extra hi cap mag's , that's why most of the time I carry two guns, three mags and two knifes...

Listening to your built in warning and awareness meters , being aware of who and what is around us and not setting yourself up...
Sorry to say there is a thin line between critical survival skills and paranoia ...

That being said, it puts the good guys at a disadvantage in that most of the time trouble is started from the bad guys(predators) first causing us to react "action is faster than reaction" to overcome this...

1. Its critical who gets the jump and the first shots off ...
2. Shoot placement is critical , learn and practice one hand instinctive shooting(weak and strong)...
3. Figuring how many shooters, most bad guys (predators) hunt in packs..
4. Finding cover not exposing your back or backing out while firing...
5. The best reload is another gun ,best if mag and ammo are the same as primary ....

Finally:
Yes bring a knife to a gun fight , it just may get to hand to hand just make sure your knife is bigger than his and you know how to use it ,visual intimidation does work...

Reactions: ZombieKiller57

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I had posted in a different thread, I may start carrying the Sig .380 as a pocket pistol along with one of my Glocks. I already carry 2 very sharp knives, one in each front pocket for quick access. I always carried an extra magazine for the 36, but after reading a lot of the good knowledge here, I keep an extra mag loaded for the 23 as well! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Odds are the bad guys will have extra hi cap mag's
sorry but I strongly disagree with this; most bad guys have Wal-Mart brand ammo and whatever gun they got from another BG. the internet cafe shootout with the 71 YO man the punks had a NON-working 45. I am not saying this is a golden rule but most of them won't know nothing when it comes to guns except you point it and pull the trigger. on top of that I would lay odds that most of the punks with a gun in a holdup have never shot the gun they have (or any gun) so with that in mind most if not all of us have more ability to shoot and hit a target then that do. keep in mind we (gun enthusiast) are a small group of people and if you through a gun on a table in any place where there are people most wouldn't have a clue as to how to load it or aim proper

IMO to carry more than one knife is not necessary. I carry a knife as a utility tool and not a combat weapon if I have a gun. And when I don't its moves to the forefront

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have never mentioned this before but here I go...........My father worked at a small convenience store just outside Birmingham in a "not-so-good" neighborhood. In 1998 while working on a Monday night (watching Miami vs. Denver on Monday night football), 4 thugs came into the store to rob him. They shot my father several times with stolen firearms and stolen ammo. He was trying to make his way to his car in the parking lot but fell dead about 10 feet from his vehicle. They made a nice loot of $35.00 and some change. Reward money of $1000.00 was offered to anyone having knowledge of this crime. Since a thousand dollars is a lot of loot to some people, a friend of the thugs turned in one of the perps. The police had said all along that they knew someone would talk for 1k. And they were correct. The thug was arrested and the other three turned themselves in and their stolen firearms. They were in the age range of 17 to 21. It was the belief of Birmingham detectives that not one of them had ever shot a pistol. So, that kind of goes hand in hand with what you are saying barstoolguru.

I still get calls and letters from the State of Alabama telling me that I can be present at their "parole hearings" which I never could bring myself to go to. Doesn't look much like parole is going to happen anyway. (Only 2 of the perps are doing prison time)

(Anyone that knew my father knew him as a kind, gentle and caring person that would give you the shirt off of his back)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
sorry but I strongly disagree with this; most bad guys have Wal-Mart brand ammo and whatever gun they got from another BG. the internet cafe shootout with the 71 YO man the punks had a NON-working 45. I am not saying this is a golden rule but most of them won't know nothing when it comes to guns except you point it and pull the trigger. on top of that I would lay odds that most of the punks with a gun in a holdup have never shot the gun they have (or any gun) so with that in mind most if not all of us have more ability to shoot and hit a target then that do. keep in mind we (gun enthusiast) are a small group of people and if you through a gun on a table in any place where there are people most wouldn't have a clue as to how to load it or aim proper

IMO to carry more than one knife is not necessary. I carry a knife as a utility tool and not a combat weapon if I have a gun. And when I don't its moves to the forefront
Maybe "most" is a bit of an exaggeration but let's look at the major shootings just in the last couple of years for example Jerad Laufner, James Holmes, the Sikh Temple shooting in Wisconsin. When the time comes and you need it wouldn't you rather be prepared for the worst than not? I would not speculate that the BG doesn't know jack about the weapon he's holding. I expect him to be an expert and then I act accordingly. JMO.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Keep in mind that a gun is an equal opportunity employer , it does not discriminate , is not a respecter of individuals at the other end , will be your friend as long as it in your hand ...

Most thug s are cowards they do this full time and are prepared , please do not underestimate them ,they are always on the lookout for any weakness and opportunity to strike...That being said , on training most killings in third world countries and gangs here in the US are done by kids and teenagers ...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Maybe "most" is a bit of an exaggeration but let's look at the major shootings just in the last couple of years for example Jerad Laufner, James Holmes, the Sikh Temple shooting in Wisconsin. When the time comes and you need it wouldn't you rather be prepared for the worst than not? I would not speculate that the BG doesn't know jack about the weapon he's holding. I expect him to be an expert and then I act accordingly. JMO.
and I pointed out most; when you are looking at major shootings they are planed and calculated and just not the neighborhood stop and rob hold ups so they are in going to be prepared and somewhat bettered armed but let’s take a look at what they do carry and YOU just might look at it differently
But how much time does the average CCW permit holder spend on the other portion of that quote? How many of you spend an equal amount of time studying criminal behavior in order to "know your enemy?" Most of my students don't study criminal behavior nearly as much as they should.
read:Criminals and the Guns They Carry

·
Registered
188 Posts
and I pointed out most; when you are looking at major shootings they are planed and calculated and just not the neighborhood stop and rob hold ups so they are in going to be prepared and somewhat bettered armed but let’s take a look at what they do carry and YOU just might look at it differently

read:Criminals and the Guns They Carry
I have read Mr. Greg Ellifritz article I respectfully disagree , these are for the most part ,low level thugs that got caught ,not to speak of gangs and organized criminals and Pro's that never get caught ...

That being said, it's not about assuming that all BG are Jerks and untrained , nor even matching or equaling what the BG has, it's about overwhelming superiority and dominating the game on the streets or in a home intrusion situation with training and right fire power ,when it comes to the safety of my family and my own personnel safety more is better than less...

That being said ,hand guns are such a poor stopper in any caliber, that I keep a Benelli M4 for home defense and if I could open carry my AR15 I would as a primary ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts