Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tragedy as Father Accidentally Shoots 7-Year-Old Son Outside Penn. Gun Shop

Joseph V. Loughrey, 44, of Sharpsville, was holding the gun while when the 9 mm handgun discharged, hitting his child Craig Allen Loughrey in the chest, according to state police. The boy died at the scene at Twigs Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township, 60 miles north of Pittsburgh
just a reminder as we get closer to the holidays and get some new toys or play with the old ones... double check that gun, never assume. This man will relive this for the rest of his life; as a parent I couldn't!

Tragedy as Father Accidentally Shoots 7-Year-Old Son Outside Penn. Gun Shop | TheBlaze.com

·
Registered
115 Posts
Utterly senseless. How many "empty" guns kill people? I worked with a guy years ago who was squirrel hunting with his son, his son stopped to take a dump behind a bush, his dad thought he saw a squirrel in the bush, didn't know his son was there, and he intentionally fired on the bush killing his son. It nearly killed him. Even 20 years after it happened he was an avid deer hunter, but he was an utter wreck if his son or squirrel hunting ever crept into the conversation. I cannot imagine...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stopped hunting with some people because of poor gun handling. This guy violated a couple of gun rules and his son paid the price; I just hope he finds peace

·
Registered
115 Posts
So... I'll share one on myself. I was elk hunting with my cousin in the Spanish Peaks in SE Colorado about 6 years ago. While walking around on the top of one of the mountains, with my fingers completely away from my trigger or even the trigger guard, my gun went off - a Remington Model 700 bolt action .30-06 - apparently something on my gear hit the trigger. The muzzle was about 2" away from my left ear. I've had permanent hearing loss of some degree in that ear ever since. The only thing I did wrong there was carrying the rifle around with the safety off... something I was taught by my dad, be it good, bad, or indifferent. I don't carry any gun with the safety off anymore - learned that one the hard way. Fortunately, the gun was pointed up and away.

I've been hunting since I was 8, started "bird-dogging" with my dad and grandpa when I was 3 or 4. Now at 54, after successfully taking 50 or more deer, hundreds of squirrels, rabbits, and other various little things (snakes, rats, etc.), I thought I was pretty good around guns. I have a far more healthy respect for them than ever. ALL GUNS ARE LOADED until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not... and even then the guns are potentially loaded.

This stuff is just plain sad.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
So... I'll share one on myself. I was elk hunting with my cousin in the Spanish Peaks in SE Colorado about 6 years ago. While walking around on the top of one of the mountains, with my fingers completely away from my trigger or even the trigger guard, my gun went off - a Remington Model 700 bolt action .30-06 - apparently something on my gear hit the trigger. The muzzle was about 2" away from my left ear. I've had permanent hearing loss of some degree in that ear ever since. The only thing I did wrong there was carrying the rifle around with the safety off... something I was taught by my dad, be it good, bad, or indifferent. I don't carry any gun with the safety off anymore - learned that one the hard way. Fortunately, the gun was pointed up and away.

I've been hunting since I was 8, started "bird-dogging" with my dad and grandpa when I was 3 or 4. Now at 54, after successfully taking 50 or more deer, hundreds of squirrels, rabbits, and other various little things (snakes, rats, etc.), I thought I was pretty good around guns. I have a far more healthy respect for them than ever. ALL GUNS ARE LOADED until proven beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not... and even then the guns are potentially loaded.

This stuff is just plain sad.
True...Tragic, indeed

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is gut wrenching. I hope the father finds a way to live with himself, I have two sons who mean the world to me, I can't imagine being responsible for the death of one of them .... uggg

·
Registered
960 Posts
This really sickens me. Very sad indeed. I've posted this before but "ALL GUNS ARE LOADED"!!! You can never pick up a gun without clearing and checking. Always!!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That just sucks, some people are way too careless and casual with guns. Even if I just checked and made sure the gun was unloaded I still would not point it at anyone's direction.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That is just a tragic accident. There aren't words that can describe what that father is going through. My thoughts and prayers are with that family.

·
Banned
966 Posts
Which is why I don't carry chambered. I'm only human, but not one's who going to live with something this stupid the rest of his life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts