Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with my cousin (LEO) that hates Glocks. So i told him that I converted to the dark side and bought a G20. First he told me that i was stupid, then I was crazy, then stupid again. His dislike for Glocks comes from his agency. There happened to be one that went off when a new guy closed there nightstick on the back of the gun. That would be one hell of an AD but it happened and hurt a guy. I guess the problem was the firing pin safety and/or firing pin safety spring. My question is are the aftermarket firing pin safety and/or spring worth a look at or are they ok stock. I took out the one on my gun and it looks like stainless steal and seems pretty sturdy, but the spring is a little cheesy.

Thank in advanced.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good question. I havent had any problem with mine. I actually dropped it on accident one day and thought I was a gone'er. It literally fell slide plate down pointed right it my face when I went to sit on the toilet...part of the reason I need a new IWB holster, They would have found me like that @ walmart too Thats the worst part.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
so your saying that some numbnuts closed an expandable baton on the rear cover plate of the receiver which caused the AD and your cousin is blaming the firearm? Wow! The after market springs from what I have read are a little more durable for extra life but there is nothing wrong with running stock springs. For the average shooter you should never have to replace them. For someone in competition shooting then they would probably benefit from the aftermarket.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so your saying that some numbnuts closed an expandable baton on the rear cover plate of the receiver which caused the AD and your cousin is blaming the firearm? Wow! The after market springs from what I have read are a little more durable for extra life but there is nothing wrong with running stock springs. For the average shooter you should never have to replace them. For someone in competition shooting then they would probably benefit from the aftermarket.
Yeah that is what I was saying. I figured that the stock one was more then sufficient for me, but if the need for a new one comes up then replacement would be needed. I just wanted to make sure I was thinking the right. My wife would kill me if I shoot my ass off. ;)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yeah that is what I was saying. I figured that the stock one was more then sufficient for me, but if the need for a new one comes up then replacement would be needed. I just wanted to make sure I was thinking the right. My wife would kill me if I shoot my ass off. ;)
I still have a hard time believing that was the cause of the AD. I have seen videos of people towing a Glock behind their vehicle at 30 MPH+ and the weapon never dropped the firing pin. If the officer was so stupid to collaps his baton on his weapon there is no telling what else he did.

If I was buying a used Glock that I had no idea how many rounds were sent down or it was older than 5 years then I would definitely change out the springs all around, but new off the shelf I am good with stock. It would be a bad thins to shoot your butt off.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Good question. I havent had any problem with mine. I actually dropped it on accident one day and thought I was a gone'er. It literally fell slide plate down pointed right it my face when I went to sit on the toilet...part of the reason I need a new IWB holster, They would have found me like that @ walmart too Thats the worst part.
lol...ok, not funny...Glad it all came out ok...scarey moment #1

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
They work fine, but there's tons of aftermarket stuff out there to make you happy

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I still have a hard time believing that was the cause of the AD. I have seen videos of people towing a Glock behind their vehicle at 30 MPH+ and the weapon never dropped the firing pin. If the officer was so stupid to collaps his baton on his weapon there is no telling what else he did.

If I was buying a used Glock that I had no idea how many rounds were sent down or it was older than 5 years then I would definitely change out the springs all around, but new off the shelf I am good with stock. It would be a bad thins to shoot your butt off.
+1

Unless there was some manufacturing defect...I've never seen a Glock fire without the trigger being pulled by something.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
yeh...things happen, but engineering-wise, I struggle with that one...like the officer in Georgia I heard of that sat down in a chair in such a way that caused his weapon to discharge...but said his hands were nowhere near the weapon...hmmm

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
However, Mr Murphy has been known to be involved in many of these situations...lol

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

Not to mention the pain factor...lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to mention the pain factor...lol
Yeah that is the main problem with shooting your but off. I am glad that everybody reconfirmed my thoughts. A Glock is just as safe as any other gun, you just have to treat her right and she will be good to you.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yeah that is the main problem with shooting your but off. I am glad that everybody reconfirmed my thoughts. A Glock is just as safe as any other gun, you just have to treat her right and she will be good to you.
I struggled with that when issued our first Glock G17 service weapon back in the late 80's. After a day at the range with the Range Officer I left feeling like it was the safest weapon on the streets.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I struggled with that when issued our first Glock G17 service weapon back in the late 80's. After a day at the range with the Range Officer I left feeling like it was the safest weapon on the streets.
Got my first one when they went on sale in this country...It was a little different (1911), but I knew there was something special about that ugly, black plastic gun...After a couple of hours shooting it, I knew it was a winner

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Been fond of 'em ever since... Gaston Glock knew he had created something special...so did I.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an ASP collapsible baton and it takes a pretty good whack to get it to close. If the LEO in question was STUPID enough to actually use the back of his issue weapon as the hard surface to collapse his baton, then I would say let natural selection take it's course and thin out the gene pool a little.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was talking with my cousin (LEO) that hates Glocks. So i told him that I converted to the dark side and bought a G20. First he told me that i was stupid, then I was crazy, then stupid again. His dislike for Glocks comes from his agency. There happened to be one that went off when a new guy closed there nightstick on the back of the gun. That would be one hell of an AD but it happened and hurt a guy. I guess the problem was the firing pin safety and/or firing pin safety spring. My question is are the aftermarket firing pin safety and/or spring worth a look at or are they ok stock. I took out the one on my gun and it looks like stainless steal and seems pretty sturdy, but the spring is a little cheesy.

Thank in advanced.
Glock pistols are striker fired weapons, with a built in safety to guard against AD's when dropped which makes them even safer than a traditional firing pin equipped semi-auto with a hammer. I seriously doubt the accuracy of the tale you were told:confused:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have an ASP collapsible baton and it takes a pretty good whack to get it to close. If the LEO in question was STUPID enough to actually use the back of his issue weapon as the hard surface to collapse his baton, then I would say let natural selection take it's course and thin out the gene pool a little.
+1 exactly. He needs to be a fry cook somewhere. 'No Procreation For You!'

1 - 20 of 30 Posts