Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in the state of Massachusetts , with its restrictive laws, has delayed my entrance into the Glock family. It took me a bit of time to figure-out a way to purchase a new Glock without having to pay upwards of $750 through a private sale. I'm ecstatic to report that I am now the proud owner of a spanking new Gen 3 G23!

It's currently at my gunsmith getting a carry trigger job (Ghost 5lb. tactical connector and polishing), Warren Tactical black rear, tritium front sights , extended slide catch and extended magazine release installed. Can't wait to get it back and pop in a Scherer Slug Plug and head to the range.

I've shot a G17 and loved it. Feels great in the hand and was able to get nice groupings. There's no turning back now; I've got the bug and am thinking about my next addition to the family.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the new Glock !!! Let us know how the range trip goes.

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
welcome lel! i live in mass also and it is not the law that says you can't have a new glock. matter of fact all glocks are approved for sale here on the dept pulic safety approved firearms list. where the problem comes in is that the attorney general has a regulation that says new glocks can't be sold in this state.

·
Registered
960 Posts
welcome lel! i live in mass also and it is not the law that says you can't have a new glock. matter of fact all glocks are approved for sale here on the dept pulic safety approved firearms list. where the problem comes in is that the attorney general has a regulation that says new glocks can't be sold in this state.
Question, That being said, is it legal to purchase a new Glock on line, and have a local FFL do the transfer for you? Or do simply, have to go out of state, hope someone will sell it to you, then bring it in? Thanks. Just curious.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Welcome from Texas, one thing about being a multi-state forum is we get to hear how other state regulate sale or place restrictions on items. What bothers me is they just seem to slip it in and call it "for safety reasons" and it just restricts the legal buyer and not the thug that doesn't fill out paperwork and do a background check.
But all in all I am glad you could get one and looks like you are going all out. Be safe and follow the rules of gun safety and that Glock will serve its master well

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Question, That being said, is it legal to purchase a new Glock on line, and have a local FFL do the transfer for you? Or do simply, have to go out of state, hope someone will sell it to you, then bring it in? Thanks. Just curious.
you can purchase on line but it has to be sent to a ffl. no ffl will transfer it to you here because it is against the ag regulation. particular to glocks are the triggers and no magazine disconect. ag says 10.5 pd trigger and magazine disconnect. even if you go out of state and get one it will not be legal in this state. and i wouldn't want to be caught with an illegal gun.

·
Registered
960 Posts
you can purchase on line but it has to be sent to a ffl. no ffl will transfer it to you here because it is against the ag regulation. particular to glocks are the triggers and no magazine disconect. ag says 10.5 pd trigger and magazine disconnect. even if you go out of state and get one it will not be legal in this state. and i wouldn't want to be caught with an illegal gun.
Wow! I feel fortunate to live in a "Class 3" state. That really sounds like some good political BS that they created there for you guys. I can only hope it will change for the sake of people that are "legal" to own and carry any firearm that they would like to!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
So, if I'm reading correctly, you can't even legally own a Glock in the state of Mass?? So, with this new member getting the ghost trigger, and other mods, he would be in big trouble if he gets caught with it? If that's the case, how can a gunsmith legally even touch this gun? Unless he took it out of state to get the mods performed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't purchase it through a private sale out of state. All private sales must be between Mass residents. The trick is to order online and find an in-state FFL willing to do the transfer.

·
Registered
960 Posts
You can't purchase it through a private sale out of state. All private sales must be between Mass residents. The trick is to order online and find an in-state FFL willing to do the transfer.
And you were able to find an FFL that would do the transfer? In state, right? Did they charge you to do the transfer?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, if I'm reading correctly, you can't even legally own a Glock in the state of Mass?? So, with this new member getting the ghost trigger, and other mods, he would be in big trouble if he gets caught with it? If that's the case, how can a gunsmith legally even touch this gun? Unless he took it out of state to get the mods performed?
It's legal for a private citizen to own any handgun in Mass. An FFL is bound by two state lists of approved handguns - Executive Office of Public Safety & Attorney General's. You can only view one list (I believe it's the EOOPS list - if memory serves me correctly), which lists Glocks as approved. The "secret" AG's list is not available for view and lists Glocks as unapproved (a real cluster f*@#).

It took me a while to get in the know, but there are FFLs in Mass that will transfer in Glocks. You just need to know who they are. Their names are a highly kept secret among the shooting community in Mass. God bless them. As far as the modifications go, it works the same way it would in most states. In the event it winds-up in court a sharp prosecutor could call into question the modifications.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And you were able to find an FFL that would do the transfer? In state, right? Did they charge you to do the transfer?
Yes, $40, which would be the equivilant to the sales tax if it could be bought at the MSRP in-state.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once you purchase an handgun in MA it is legal to perform any modifications. I have a Mass compliant S&W M&P that came with a 10lb trigger pull. My gunsmith was able to bring it to 5lbs., with an audible reset. Perfectly legal for gunsmith and myself. Crazy Mass laws. I've been shooting/gun owner for a little under two years and it took me close to a year to get it all figured-out.

We in Mass envy folks who live in free states and don't have to deal with this nonsense.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Once you purchase an handgun in MA it is legal to perform any modifications. I have a Mass compliant S&W M&P that came with a 10lb trigger pull. My gunsmith was able to bring it to 5lbs., with an audible reset. Perfectly legal for gunsmith and myself. Crazy Mass laws. I've been shooting/gun owner for a little under two years and it took me close to a year to get it all figured-out.

We in Mass envy folks who live in free states and don't have to deal with this nonsense.
And I feel for yuze guyz that have to...we have relatives near Boston...heard all the horror stories on the stupid laws...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sounds to me like these FFL's would be in serious jeopardy of loosing their license if caught. Hmmm......not something I would share on a forum, to a friend, anything! Just my opinion. I know, everybody has one.........you know the rest!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts