Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to forum. New to handguns. New Glock 19 gen 4.

I did a search but couldn't find the info I need. Apologies if this has already been discussed.

The FrogLube site directions say "NOTE: You should discontinue the use of petrochemical-based cleaners and lubricants since they negate the optimal effects of a FrogLube-treated weapon."
Step 5) of the CLP instructions say "Lubricate per manufacturers instruction."

Can anyone recommend a non-petrochemical-based lubricant?

Updated 2013-12-06
Guess I'm just too, too literal.
I also sent the above query to FrogLube. The intent of their instructions was that you ensure that you apply CLP to all Mfg suggested lubrication areas. No separate lubricant is required.

The following is what FrogLube sent in response to my email:
" Use our solvent to remove the petroleum stuff. And it is also a copper and lead cleaner too. That's what it was originally designed for; the fact that it also removes excess FrogLube was a benefit we discovered when we needed to clean the filling machines. No petroleum product that I know of does as good of a job and is so harmless to the firearm.
Our Liquid CLP does a fine job of lubricating; use that.
"

·
Registered
21,516 Posts
forget everything you read and get son simple 3-in-1 oil. any oil that gets washed off at the range let me know

·
Registered
29 Posts
forget everything you read and get son simple 3-in-1 oil. any oil that gets washed off at the range let me know
Can we discuss the above for a moment?

Oil and water do not mix. As we understand it oil will float to the top.

- Will oil in general displace water/moisture?
- When that does happen, where does the water/moister go?

Surely some of any lubrication (oil) is better than none at all, but, try and factor in the environment of the person and/or said persons' firearm. Your turn :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like MC2500 Oil. It is a synthetic lubricant that I have no problems using it on firearms that I have first used Frog Lube. Militec-1 is a good synthetic lubricant that works like Frog Lube. You might want to check it out as an alternate lube you can use with other oils.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been using Seal 1 CLP Pro ...similar to Frog Lube...for a few months. I thoroughly cleaned my handguns prior to first Seal 1 CLP Pro application...per their directions. After that, Seal 1 CLP Pro, liquid and/or paste, is all I ever use to clean, lubricate and protect. My guns...Gen 4 G19 and Shield 9mm...operate smoothly. And although dry to touch, when the metal parts start to heat up while shooting, I can see/feel a thin film of Seal 1 CLP form on the warm metal parts. Love this stuff.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use Mobil one or any synthetic on most of my guns.... but I'm slowly moving towards the spray lube that I used on my Motorcycle chains. It's a wax base and made to stay put at high speeds and high temps. Doesn't attract dirt! I've been using it on my Glocks with no adverse effects. It's made by Dupont and I can't remember the name. I have two cans in my garage and I'm no where near there.. LOL. If I remember I will post it here later or if anyone wants to know the name message me. That will jog my memory..

Don

·
Registered
21,516 Posts
oil might float on water but when applied to a metal surface first water will not penetrate without a lot of force. I for years have used oil right off the shelf in the garage and I have guns that are over 40 years old with no sighs of rust or wear.

I grew up in NJ and my dad was a mechanic, I watched him take car engines that sat out in the rain with no heads on them and clean them up and install them. they ran just fine even after sitting out in the rain. oil of any kind will displace water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.