Glock Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't shot my Gen 3 G17 in about a month, and everything was perfect with no issues. Today, I went to chamber a round, and it jammed. The slide won't go into battery. I've tested the recoil spring, it's fine. I've used different magazines, they're fine. Whether I manually rack the slide, or lock it back, insert the mag and use the slide release, the gun jams. It won't load in any way. When I do it slowly, it looks like something is actually hitting against the round, and preventing the slide from going into battery, and that 'something' looks like the LCI/extractor (I hope that's the part I think it is.)

Just to be certain, I field stripped it, and put the barrel back into the slide. It fits back together when it's empty, but not with a round (dummy round) inside of it. It looks like the claw is pressing up against the round and preventing the slide from going back all the way forward. I've tried everything, but there is no way to get this gun loaded. Has anyone ever had this problem? This gun is a year and a half old, and hasn't been used much. I've put maybe 500 rounds through it, and it was bought new. Again, never any malfunctions before today. How do I fix this?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Did you detail strip it after the last time you fired it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do a detail strip and make sure its all operating how it should.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, did a detail strip and inspected everything carefully. Everything looks normal, best I can tell. In any case, I'm certain that something is wrong with the extractor because when I go to chamber a round, the extractor gets jammed against the back of the casing, blocking the slide from going into battery. It's so frustrating... Any idea what causes this?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Unless the extractor is bent forward, I dont know what could be causing the problem. Time to see your local gunsmith or call Glock (hard to diagnose without seeing the problem), not that I am an expert anyway. :}

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I know it may sound strange, but I had something similar happen before, and it was the ammo. If you keep the gun chambered, and then unload the weapon, by dropping the mag, extracting the round, what do you do with the extracted round...?...put it back at the top in the same mag? Sometimes, over several repetitions of clearing the weapon, the rounds can become "changed"..i.e. bullet seating, etc...It's a matter of physics...That same round being chambered repeatedly, and unloaded can take it's toll on a round...Take the mags you use on a regular basis, and remove a couple of rounds from each, to insure fresh rounds...Now do a function check on loading a round again...this might be it, or it might not...This happened to me with a 1911...

Check out the seating of the bullet in the case, vs a new round...

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 on Rowabi's comments above. It didn't happen to me, but I've once read that a lot of LEO's remove the chambered ammo from their firearm and place it at the bottom of a magazine when they/re off duty for the day...

Quick question, are you sure you reassembled the extractor depressor plunger (EDP) back accurately? Or maybe have other Glocks? Because the EDP has three different color coded bearings and I was thinking maybe you used a white or olive colored one instead of the black ones that go in G17s... Also look at the EDP spring and see if it's bent out of shape or over/under expanded. The EDP is the sole responsible part for applying proper amount of tension&pressure on the entire extractor, hence very crucial.

Also firing pin safety and spring interacts with the EDP - make sure it's spring doesn't fall when you shake the firing pin safety - It has to be somewhat wound in it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts