Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys, Im new to the Glock realm, so go easy on me!

I have a new G22 Gen 3 and got a chance to fire some rounds tonight. It has not had many rounds through it at all yet, basically, I have fired 20 so far. I am using Independence target ammo (It has "Blazer" printed on the bottom of the case). It seemed as though every few rounds the slide stayed back like it was the end of the mag, but it was not. the old case ejected fine, but the slide lock engaged. if i pulled down on the slide lock, the next round would feed fine. That made me think it was not the ammo, but i may be wrong.

Is this just a "break in" period i am going through, or am I doing something wrong? I was sure not to touch the slide lock while firing. I really hope its not a problem with the gun, i hear all the time how dependable they are!

Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I would say check your grip and make sure that your thumb is not pushing up on the slide release during the recoil. I find that if I take too high of a grip that happens to me. It threw me the first few times it happened. I checked for jams, mags and then I had a face palm moment.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would say check your grip and make sure that your thumb is not pushing up on the slide release during the recoil. I find that if I take too high of a grip that happens to me. It threw me the first few times it happened. I checked for jams, mags and then I had a face palm moment.
ZK57 has teh correct (as always).

Your left thumb is being bad :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
another thing I did by mistake once was when I changed out the OEM Slide Release to the Extended Slide Release I did not check the spring before firing. About every 3 round the slide would lock back. I looked and noticed that the Slide Release spring was out of alignment and was allowing the release to flop around. I don't know that is a point of failure for you but just putting that out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I will try to be sure my thumb stays out of the way...

i will have to check that spring, never thought about that, Thanks Zombiekiller! i did have the slide release out, and it was difficult to get lined back up... any good pointers to make sure it is lined up correctly and in the right place?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I will try to be sure my thumb stays out of the way...

i will have to check that spring, never thought about that, Thanks Zombiekiller! i did have the slide release out, and it was difficult to get lined back up... any good pointers to make sure it is lined up correctly and in the right place?
What happened to mine was that the top of the spring that slides up under the locking block was bent over to the right side and was not applying tension in a downward manner. This caused the the slide release to just flop up and down. So when the slide came back it was enough to flip the slide release up and catch it as the slide moved into reset. I just pulled the pin, took out the slide release and then placed it back in properly. It should slide in easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you guys may have figured it out for me! I had the trigger assembly out and i believe that was my downfall!

When I was putting the pins back in, i put the slide release in before the upper pin and the spring was above the upper pin. it seemed like the sklide release was flopping around. so I took the pins back out, took the slide release out and put the top pin in before replacing the slide release lever. now the spring is under the pin and feels much more taught! I think this may very well fix my problem! Cant wait to fire a few off tomorrow!

Thanks guys!! I will let u know how it does!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You're brave stripping the frame down so early in your glocklife, but it's a great way to learn :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You're brave stripping the frame down so early in your glocklife, but it's a great way to learn :)
With a Glock you really can't screw it up unless you start ripping out springs and bending the hell out of them. I carried a Glock for almost 10 years as an LEO but never personally owned one. I bought my first, a G23G3 a couple of years ago. The first thing I did when I got home was did a complete tear down including slide components and trigger assembly, pulled up some youtube videos and began my learning. I'm a hands on learner. For me that was the easiest and best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RMD...lol, I thought about that! I guess im like Zombiekiller, I have to know and understand how things really work! It started when I was young tearing apart my toys i guess!! it does get me in trouble sometimes!! haha :D

I watched a few videos and read up on the process, then tore into it! I feel like if something happens in the field, i know a little bit more about the way the pistol works now and might have a little better chance of servicing it right there and getting back to the action!

I am just trying to learn all I can about this because I think I will really enjoy it and to me, knowledge is power!

you guys have been an awesome help so far!! thanks!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
RMD...lol, I thought about that! I guess im like Zombiekiller, I have to know and understand how things really work! It started when I was young tearing apart my toys i guess!! it does get me in trouble sometimes!! haha :D

I watched a few videos and read up on the process, then tore into it! I feel like if something happens in the field, i know a little bit more about the way the pistol works now and might have a little better chance of servicing it right there and getting back to the action!

I am just trying to learn all I can about this because I think I will really enjoy it and to me, knowledge is power!

you guys have been an awesome help so far!! thanks!
Be sure and let us know how it does at then next range visit. If that change made the difference.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yeah, Gaston was a friggin genius. Probably the easiest pistol to detail stripped that's ever been made.

It took me a while though before I did the frame. I was afraid I'd put one part in backwards and it would ka-boom me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys, great news! shot another 30 rounds today, no problems what so ever! no further slide locking except when it is supposed to!! That spring was the culprit!

Thanks again for your help!!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I'm a chicken when it comes to detail stripping !

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm a chicken when it comes to detail stripping !
+1 on that...not ready for that yet...
Have you guys stripped the slide yet? It's pretty easy and hard to mess up. It was my first foray into the guts.

Nice thing about Glock is that you can own and shoot one for years and never need to do anything other than field strip, clean and lube every so often.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Nice thing about Glock is that you can own and shoot one for years and never need to do anything other than field strip, clean and lube every so often.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the reasons i like Glocks !

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
If Chuck Norris was letting that gun use him, things like this would never happen!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts