Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Story:
I just bought a G29 and put 100 rounds through it (50 CCI Blazer 200g and 50 Winchester Super X 175g). Well....8/100 of those rounds jammed. Two of the jams were failures to extract, and the rest resulted from the rounds failing to get behind the extractor when feeding. Also, the ejected brass sometimes flies backwards instead of out to the side. Overall, the ejection trajectories of the cartridges are pretty random. Just one of the jams was with the blazer ammo.

Aftermath:
I don't believe that this is the way a brand new glock should operate. Based on my limited knowledge, I think that the recoil spring isn't strong enough to let the glock cycle. I believe that the slide might be retracting too early/too fast. I just called glock, and all they told me is to send it in. I however, don't really desire to send the gun back so I pressed them to see if there was a standard fix for this issue. All they said is that they could send me a new recoil spring.

My Question:
I'm hoping some of you glockies can give me a little more insight on the problem. Such as: What component is causing the issue? Is it a common problem? Should I send my gun back or attempt to fix this myself?

Additional Info:
The gun is a gen 3 that was test fired in the middle of July this year.

Thx in advance!
~SBK

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It does sound like a spring issue. Are they still making new Gen3 G29s? and are you sure the test date was this year. It was reported that the Recoil spring issue had been worked out so I would assume that there shouldn't be any new models shipping with them. I would have them send me a new one anyway and try it.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I didnt know there was ever a problem with the recoil spring on the G29. My G29SF, Serial prefix RWW, test fired 8-12-11 and purchased November 2011, does not have a number on the recoil spring. The only thing I have noticed with mine is that it takes a firm rap to seat the magazine and the mag release is very stiff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the fast replies!

I realize there wasn't a recall on my gun, however I still believe the problem is most likely the spring. Maybe mine is defective or something. Speculation on other causes of the jams would be greatly appreciated. Also, I don't think the gen 4 G29 is out yet, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No offense but it sounds like you are limp wristing the gun. Do you keep a firm hold on it even when shooting rapid fire or one handed? I am assuming that you are sure the extractor is not catching the rim. In that a case doesn't eject, you pull back the slide, and the case is still in the chamber. How hard is it to get the case back out? Just pulling it out with your fingernail easy?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also from the Glock armorers manual in front of me...
Failure to eject or erattic.
Probable causes: Broken or damaged ejector
Under-powered ammunition
Dirty chamber
Shooting with an unlocked wrist
Lack of lubrication
Dirty gun

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info dude! I'll go down the list

Probable causes:
Broken or damaged ejector. It would have been defective from the factory. Jam happened on the eighth shot

Under-powered ammunition. Jams happened less often with the CCI than the Super X, and the CCI is the underpowered stuff, so i'll go with no.

Dirty chamber. Nope its clean as hell

Shooting with an unlocked wrist. Strong possibility. Jams happened most when my 100 lb sister and my skinny hipster friend shot the gun. It only happened once when i was shooting, and I keep the gun pretty solid. I'm like 210 lbs benching 355 lbs squatting 450, so it barely moves when I shoot.

Lack of lubrication. Haven't lubed it, but its still pretty greased from the factory assembly.

Dirty gun. Nope...clean as hell.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
From what you stated above, I would go with unlocked wrist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not your spring. That brass should be flying out 4-5 feet (or more) at about the 4 o'clock position.

Check the barrel, specifically the valley where the cartridge feeds in as it may not be rounded down deep enough. I've read online where other shooters have replaced with another Glock or KKM barrel (KKM has a deeper valley) and the jamming/eating brass issue was solved. Contact Glock - they should be able to help you. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Let us know if you have fired the G29 again. If you do i would suggest that you do the firing as I still suspect that the others were not giving the weapon a firm platform upon which to recoil.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the info dude! I'll go down the list

Shooting with an unlocked wrist. Strong possibility. Jams happened most when my 100 lb sister and my skinny hipster friend shot the gun. It only happened once when i was shooting, and I keep the gun pretty solid. I'm like 210 lbs benching 355 lbs squatting 450, so it barely moves when I shoot.

Lack of lubrication. Haven't lubed it, but its still pretty greased from the factory assembly.

It's the way your sister & her friend are gripping it.

Also, I'd go ahead and do the 3-2-1 lube on it as Glock recommends. The copper anti-seize isn't really a replacement for the light lube Glocks like. Yeah, it's a Glock and it'll run OK dryer than almost any other pistol, but it will appreciate the lube :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts