Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just joined the forums in the hopes of reading and gaining more information about glocks. Currently our family has a Sig Mosquito .22 (for plinking/learning etc), Sig 2022 aka Sig Pro, and a Glock 22 and I shoot/love all of them. I was looking into picking up a Glock of my own, a G34 Gen4 in fact, but had a question about them being sold in my state. I live in CA and have read that they arent legal for sale to non LEO's and Ive heard other people talking about buying them as SSE and then changing them back, but I dont know how that would be in terms of legalization. So basically, can a non LEO buy the gun and if not, is it legal to buy it SSE and then convert it back or would you still be in violation of the law? I realize its info that may not be known to many people around the forum but any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BTW, Ive searched google for info on it but it seems that the majority of threads/info I find about the question Ive asked seems to be old and more current to when the Gen 4's were originally introduced. So maybe somethings changed?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome, awm.

I'm not familiar with CA laws, and hope someone from CA will chime in. Out of curiosity, why do you think it wouldn't it be legal?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Kansas.

I am sure that there is someone on hear that knows the gun laws of CA. They will be along shortly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, awm.

I'm not familiar with CA laws, and hope someone from CA will chime in. Out of curiosity, why do you think it wouldn't it be legal?

Well if its not legal for purchase, why would it be legal for me to get it as SSE and then revert it back? Seems kinda like an oxymoron, no?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I'd call your local gun store and ask them, or just Google it.

Btw why not go with gen4 G17? I have a G17 upper for my G22 and love shooting 'em both. It can also be used for CCW, G34 not so much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd call your local gun store and ask them, or just Google it.

Btw why not go with gen4 G17? I have a G17 upper for my G22 and love shooting 'em both. It can also be used for CCW, G34 not so much.

Okay so I did some more research and I believe Ive answered my own question. I was able to find a link that talked about CA DOJ List and googled the list... Well turns out that the list actually shows all legal firearms in the state, therefore all the illegal ones also. ALL Gen4 Glocks are illegal for civilian purchase in CA. Looks like the only way to get it is PPT or the SSE route if I wanted to attempt that. Another thing I thought of would be a family transfer and again, Im looking into info on it. My grandparents live out of state in CT so I was thinking maybe I could get them to buy it and transfer it to me as a gift as that would be PPT and legal (again, still looking at info and im not 100% sure on it). However, Im not sure how I could get them to send it to me. Would they need to send it to an FFL down here? Basically trying to figure out details.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The more I hear about the laws in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, the more I appreciate Texas. Here is what I had to do to buy my G17 GEN 4. Walk up to the counter and bought it, showed my CCW and that was it. If I had not had a CCW they would have phoned in for an instant background check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the Forum. The more I hear about the laws in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, the more I appreciate Texas. Here is what I hado to do to buy my G17 GEN 4. Walk up to the counter and bought it, showed my CCW and that was it. If I had not had a CCW they would have phoned in for an instant background check.

Yeah, since its so difficult to get a gen4, im just debating on getting a gen 3 and changing out some of the parts to get features that I like from the gen 4. Such as the extended slide release and recoil spring to name a few.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yeah, since its so difficult to get a gen4, im just debating on getting a gen 3 and changing out some of the parts to get features that I like from the gen 4. Such as the extended slide release and recoil spring to name a few.
I don't find there are any huge benefits from a Gen3 to a Gen4. I would definitely cut around the red tape and go the Gen3 route.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I don't find there are any huge benefits from a Gen3 to a Gen4. I would definitely cut around the red tape and go the Gen3 route.
I agree, the one GEN 4 I have is the G17, I dont use any of the backstraps so the grip is basically the same as a GEN3 and IMHO you dont need the dual recoil spring for the 9mm. Of course you can always buy a recoil reducer (aftermarket dual recoil spring) if you want one.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The gen3 comes stock with the extended mag released & extended slide lock lever, so you'd be good to go there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gen3 comes stock with the extended mag released & extended slide lock lever, so you'd be good to go there.

Ahhh. So there we go, didnt know that. As you can see, Im still learning about glocks. Big thing is the slide release. On the Glock 22 we have, it has the normal slide release and I find it hard to use with my hands because its so compact and close to the frame unlike the Sigs we have. Guess thats personal preference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing is that I looked at an AD for a local chain and they have the G17 and G34 on sale for $529 and $639 respectively. Anyone have advice on sticking to my original plan of G34 or going with the G17 for $100 less and adding some aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ahhh. So there we go, didnt know that. As you can see, Im still learning about glocks. Big thing is the slide release. On the Glock 22 we have, it has the normal slide release and I find it hard to use with my hands because its so compact and close to the frame unlike the Sigs we have. Guess thats personal preference.
It also has a slightly lighter trigger and adjustable sites :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Another thing is that I looked at an AD for a local chain and they have the G17 and G34 on sale for $529 and $639 respectively. Anyone have advice on sticking to my original plan of G34 or going with the G17 for $100 less and adding some aftermarket parts?
You can't go wrong with either.

I just recently had to decide between a gen4 G17 and, for $50 more, a gen3 G34. I choose the latter and have no regrets, but I'd probably love the gen4 G17 equally :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can't go wrong with either.

I just recently had to decide between a gen4 G17 and, for $50 more, a gen3 G34. I choose the latter and have no regrets, but I'd probably love the gen4 G17 equally :)

Nice. I just went and shot a G17 earlier this morning at the range to get a feel for it. Really liked the way it shot. Liked it more so than the G22 we have. Def think im gonna get the G34, however, a lot of places around here are out of stock on them right now including the place that has the sale on them. So instead of $639 im gonna have to get it for $679.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Nice. I just went and shot a G17 earlier this morning at the range to get a feel for it. Really liked the way it shot. Liked it more so than the G22 we have. Def think im gonna get the G34, however, a lot of places around here are out of stock on them right now including the place that has the sale on them. So instead of $639 im gonna have to get it for $679.
Bud's has a gen3 for $598.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bud's has a gen3 for $598.

Yeah Ive seen it online for cheap but I would have to get it sent to an FFL and they can be expensive. Ive heard that they can be in excess of $100 which means itd be more expensive to buy online then getting it from the store. /frown

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yeah Ive seen it online for cheap but I would have to get it sent to an FFL and they can be expensive. Ive heard that they can be in excess of $100 which means itd be more expensive to buy online then getting it from the store. /frown
$100 wow your FFL's rip you off. The highest transfer fee I have seen here in Va is $35. Most everyone is $25 bucks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Bud's has an online lookup to find them in your area. They range from $20-$40 here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts