Glock Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I retired from the Army, I decided to get a real grownup job, which is a Deputy Sheriff. In the past, my ONLY option for a semi automatic handgun was a 1911 in any size, but only one caliber-45ACP. But when I started looking into using a handgun as a duty gun, I started talking to guys that had been cops for a very long time. The one thing everyone agrees on is it MUST be reliable.

I have not owned a glock since 98 or 99, and it was a 23 which I hated. In my department we can carry any quality 1911, HK VP9, any glock, any S&W M&P, and a caliber of your choice of 9mm, .40, 45acp or 10mm. I went shopping for like 6 months. I picked up a Glock 41 and immediately fell in love with it. I was going to use my Kimber tactical entry II, but after shooting side by side and not ignoring the 13+1 capacity advantage I picked the Glock. Does it print pretty little groups as well as any of my 1911s? No. But it shoots very soft in comparison and goes bang every time. It's a tool, and IMHO the best tool for the job.

I like it so much, I picked up a little brother for it in a 30s......

Any more 41 guys out there?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
This forum is dead bud, you might as well try elsewhere.
.45ACP is the required caliber? Me, if given a choice I would go with capacity VS caliber. My brother has been with the FHP for 2+ years. Their duty weapon was the G37. (G17 frame 10+1 .45GAP) Their new duty pistol is the G45. I have had the G45 for several years. In my opinion it's the best designed Glock ever built.

With the G41 all that length is a disadvantage. Not necessarily in any order:
1. Long barrel with .45, lots of weight especially when figuring in extra mags.
2. Long barrel again, if you have a cramped patrol vehicle and are right handed (Charger for sure) It bangs into the console and makes it very uncomfortable. Not a problem with the G45.
3. Long barrel again, there was a reason the Peacemaker was shorter than the Colt Army. It was quicker to "clear leather."
4. Without getting into a caliber pissing match, I like capacity over caliber.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
I like a .45+P or a 10mm if given a choice of caliber. I have a 1911 .45, and I trust the gun and caliber.
Are you familiar with the cop in Illinois who was a shooting instructor that got into an extended gun battle with a bank robber. He had a G21. He almost ran out of ammo after landing solid vital organ hits, and even a heart shot with it. What finally stopped the bad guy was one or two shots to the face! They both ended up in the same ER room. Eventually the bad guy died.

This cop shelved his G21 and replaced it with a G17, and a G26 for a back up. He also has 143, or 148rds on his person at all times.

Ever see the youtube video of a drunk shot 5 times with a .357? The cop got hit with a .22lr from the drunk above his vest. The bullet went to his heart and he died. Bad guy is in prison for life.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
"It seems to me a certainty that the fatalistic teachings of Mohammed and the utter degradation of the Arab women are the outstanding causes for the arrested development of the Arab. He is exactly as he was around the year 700, while we have been developing." George S. Patton

President/executive director of the NQNP STFU awards foundation.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Are you familiar with the cop in Illinois who was a shooting instructor that got into an extended gun battle with a bank robber. He had a G21. He almost ran out of ammo after landing solid vital organ hits, and even a heart shot with it. What finally stopped the bad guy was one or two shots to the face! They both ended up in the same ER room. Eventually the bad guy died.

This cop shelved his G21 and replaced it with a G17, and a G26 for a back up. He also has 143, or 148rds on his person at all times.

Ever see the youtube video of a drunk shot 5 times with a .357? The cop got hit with a .22lr from the drunk above his vest. The bullet went to his heart and he died. Bad guy is in prison for life.
No, I haven’t heard of that, do you have a link, or is it a distant memory? Hold on a minute and let me look up a crazy mess,that is hard to believe. OK, I found it. Here is a link for a a guy that attacked some cops. You may have read it already.

https://www.frontsight.com/pdf/officer.pdf

I am not a do or die about any caliber, and after reading stories about failures to stop, I will save some rounds for the head. My guns are a .45, a .40 and a .357, and I prefer power. Plus P in the autos, but in the .357 I am fine with the white box stuff.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts