Glock Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK as you can tell I'm extremely new to the Glock world.
I see post about Gen3 and Gen4.
What is the difference and how would I know what my G20 is?

·
Registered
960 Posts
OK as you can tell I'm extremely new to the Glock world.
I see post about Gen3 and Gen4.
What is the difference and how would I know what my G20 is?
Hi Mike, First of all, the Glock 20 isn't available in Gen 4, yet. It will say Gen 4 on the left side of the slide right behind the number (23) for me. The Gen4 has a new recoil spring that helps reduce the power of the recoil. And, yes, I can tell the difference. The Gen 4 comes with the Multiple Backstrap System allowing the user to change the feel of the grip to aid in the comfort of the grip. Doesn't change the angle, just the depth of the grip. It has a larger magazine release that can be changed for left or right hand users. They changed the feel of the grip to the Rough Textured design which, by design, is supposed to give you a better grip on the firearm. All of the Gen 4,s I looked at came with 3 magazines instead of 2. I'm sure there is more and someone else will chime in! No worries though, you will love the Gen 3 no doubt!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
There are GEN 1 (first Glocks), GEN 2, GEN 3 and the latest is GEN 4. ArmyCobra1 did a good job of describing the GEN 4. Finger grooves on the grip, and texture are the main differances between differant generations. The GEN 1 had no finger grooves. Each Glock enthusiast has their favorite generation it seems. My favorite is GEN 3 as evidenced by my collection listed below. I am sure someone on the Forum has pictures of the different generations and will be along soon.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
There are a few Gen4 20, 29, 30, and 33 out there...seems there were a few released to a distributor, then shipments stopped for now.. Great job on the descriptions...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Looking from the outside:

Gen1 has a smooth, pebble-like frame with no finger groves cut into the grip

Gen2 has different finger texturing on the grip (but no actual groves) and a more checker-like finish

Gen3 adds groves & rails

Gen4 actually says Gen4 on the slide :)

There's also a 2.5 with groves but no rail

1 - 6 of 6 Posts