Glock Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a Gen 4 Glock Model 19 last week - a perfect birthday present. I was surprised, however, to read in the owners manual the Gen 4 gun won't work with Gen 3 magazines - is this accurate, or did I misread something? I opted for the Gen 4 over Gen 3 because:

• The LGS was out of Gen 3 guns
  • The Gen 4 came with a dual-spring recoil configuration
  • The Gen 4 came with a bigger mag release button (something I was going to fix otherwise)
  • The Gen 4 came with 3 magazines

But to learn after-the-fact that the magazines aren't interchangeable was a surprise to me. I just wanted to confirm with the guys "in the know" if this is indeed the case and if there's any particular reason why. I know the guy who sold me on these guns made such a pitch regarding the interchangeability... that was one of the selling points for me. But I suppose it is what it is... I still really REALLY like the gun.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
GEN 3 mags will work in GEN 4 Glocks except they are not compatable if you move the mag release to the other side of the weapon. You will notice the GEN 4 mags have cut outs on both sides of the mag while the GEN 3 only have the recess for the mag release on the left side.
For that matter, GEN 1 and GEN 2 mags will work also with the same caveat.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
You should never have to switch the mag release, this is a right handed world!
GEN 3 mags will work in GEN 4 Glocks except they are not compatable if you move the mag release to the other side of the weapon. You will notice the GEN 4 mags have cut outs on both sides of the mag while the GEN 3 only have the recess for the mag release on the left side.
For that matter, GEN 1 and GEN 2 mags will work also with the same caveat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may be a right handed world, but us southpaws are very proud to be left handed. This is also a reason that I went with a Gen4 handgun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, if I were a southpaw, I'd sure opt for the Gen 4 too knowing what I know now. It's my understanding you can easily add an ambidextrous mag release too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts