Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a Gen 4 Glock 19 that she's had issue's with ever since we bought it. Almost every time she fire's it the brass flies back and hits her in the face or head. Often it will land on top of her safety glasses and burn her forehead. It's really starting to annoy her and she realized recently that she has actually started to anticipate and flinch sometimes because of it. She tried my Gen 2 19 and it does the same thing. I'm assuming she's just got the wrong combo of arm length, stance, grip etc. My questions are, has anyone else had this problem and if so, were you able to find a solution? I thought perhaps an aftermarket extractor might throw the shells differently but I'd like input on that before I buy one. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Odd that both 19's do the same thing. Is she left handed?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
There were a couple other threads that described the same issues. Not sure if it was specifically the G19. I think one of them sent it back to Glock and they didn't find anything wrong. If you can spare to part with it, Glock will always look at it for you before you invest in a new extractor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's right handed. There's really nothing wrong with the gun. It's doing what it's supposed to do. I can shoot the same gun all day and not have one shell hit me. I think it's just the combination of her arm length and height and stance. She's about 5 ft. I just wondered if anyone had experience with aftermarket extractors throwing shells differently. As far as sending it back, that'd be more expensive than just buying the new extractor. Can't send it through the post office and Fed Ex and UPS require overnight shipping for handguns.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If the gen2 and gen4 are doing it when she shoots, but neither when you shoot, I would guess it's her grip. Make sure she's up high with a very tight grip.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
If the gen2 and gen4 are doing it when she shoots, but neither when you shoot, I would guess it's her grip. Make sure she's up high with a very tight grip.
That's what I'm thinking...May take extra concentrated focus effort in her practice/training...Encourage her in that area...don't let her get discouraged with it. If she can't get that corrected, she may have to try a different weapon platform...That particular weapon with her size, grip, etc., just may not work for her...good luck!
A different extractor would definitely be worth a shot...(No pun intended)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had a friend who's GF was shooting a Glock a lot and it was a case of limp wristing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can tell you without a doubt that it's a combination of the 9mm caliber and weaker wrists. We women don't usually have wrists as strong as you men :p and I've found that with a 9mm glock I need to shoot a premium ammunition to not stove-pipe the cartridge, and I get consistent throwback to my face and chest. I'm a typical fluffy 5'2" mom and wife, who isn't an athlete but who isn't a slouch either. My solution? I upgraded to a .40 caliber glock.

No problems any more! I love my .40 calibers, both the G27 and G22. They're actually easier for me to shoot! I'll still plink around with my beloved G17 because it was my first pistol, but sometimes SIZE matters!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I would be willing to bet this would not happen with a GEN 3 with the single recoil spring. I still say that 9mm does not need a dual recoil spring ! But then I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Happens to me a lot with my Gen 3 G17, I think I need a new extractor, I know for dang sure its not my grip lol I've trained with SWAT to make sure that is solid.... but yeah, not just an issue with the double RSA, Ive got the Tungsten Single RSA for my gen 3 and it still does it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a relatively new G19 gen3 that's giving me a face full of brass from several brands of 115gr FMJ ammo. It has the 336 ejector; and I think that's the problem. I'd like to change it; but understand it's part of the trigger group; and Glock won't sell the "other " ejector except to a certified Glock armorer. I'm not real happy with the trigger either; but, don't want a - connector. I'm thinking the NY spring and a + cruciform. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have a relatively new G19 gen3 that's giving me a face full of brass from several brands of 115gr FMJ ammo. It has the 336 ejector; and I think that's the problem. I'd like to change it; but understand it's part of the trigger group; and Glock won't sell the "other " ejector except to a certified Glock armorer. I'm not real happy with the trigger either; but, don't want a - connector. I'm thinking the NY spring and a + cruciform. Opinions?

How does the brass fly with snappier ammo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a G30sf and out of 200 rounds fired I'd say about 15 hit around my face/neck area... I'm use to shooting a .45 so I don't think it has anything to do with my grip, it's the first time I've ever had this happen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If it does it with one person and another cant replicate it with the same 2 guns id say its a shooter issue. You could have her try is a higher grip. You could also tune your ejector. You cant bend the factory ejector (I tried it snapped) but you can stone it to make it throw differently. I believe an after market company makes titanium ejectors also and I have heard that they work well at least in lighter loads to clear them of the chamber where the factory wouldnt. And they are easy to change.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I like a casing to the head every now and then,it's like my G19 is giving me a little kiss.....plus I usually am wearing a hat and always have eye protection,no harm no foul....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Never quite heard of this but did witness a similar event. When I was a street cop, the department used HK USP .40's. My pistol would eject almost straight up and to the right. The range master's gun would eject straight back. He and I were nearly identical in size and height but, I fired from a true Weaver stance while he used an isosceles stance. When I fired his pistol, it ejected like mine did. So, the way the gun is held and fired will dictate how the cases eject.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts