Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I bought a new Gen 3 Glock 17 a few weeks back. I took the Glock to the range today. Loaded up 10 rounds (California mags) of PMC FMJ 115gr and starting firing. Well first round went bang, the second round had a FTF. Had to remove the mag all together to be able to clear it. Put the mag back in and every other round or so same thing! After 2 mags worth of issues I decided to take the Glock apart, nothing looked out of place. I put some CLP on the rails and feed ramp. Shot 2 rounds and FTF again. I started holding the pistol tighter in my hands and the problems were not as bad but I was still having at least 2 FTF per mag. This is my second Glock and I have been shooting Glocks for years without issues. Any idea what could be wrong with my pistol?? I lost a lot of confidence in this gun as this is my home defense gun. I uploaded some pictures and hope maybe someone can help me.

When I came home I did a detailed cleaning of this gun. Took the slide completely apart and cleaned everything. Nothing seemed out of place.

http://espoman.branspace.com/Glock/20140717_134303.jpg <Shouldn't this be straight and not bent? On my G22 its straight as an arrow.

Thank you guys!

Index of /Glock

pictures ^

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. The pic posted is of the ejector that pops the spent case out of the ejection port. It's possible it could be an issue but I would think that would only cause ejection issues unless it was really out of spec. When's you say FTF do you mean failure to fire or failure to feed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum. The pic posted is of the ejector that pops the spent case out of the ejection port. It's possible it could be an issue but I would think that would only cause ejection issues unless it was really out of spec. When's you say FTF do you mean failure to fire or failure to feed?
Thank you for the quick reply. I am having failure to feed.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
the ejector is fine, the smaller the round the more "bent" the ejector has to be to make contact with the case head. you are right about the grip, on the 17 they are very picky about the grip. high and tight is what you want. third change the ammo, some brands have case rim issues and the extractor doesn't always grab like it should and last give it a 250 round break in period before you cry foul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ejector is fine, the smaller the round the more "bent" the ejector has to be to make contact with the case head. you are right about the grip, on the 17 they are very picky about the grip. high and tight is what you want. third change the ammo, some brands have case rim issues and the extractor doesn't always grab like it should and last give it a 250 round break in period before you cry foul
Thanks for the reply. I take your advise and put more rounds through it. The point for me buying a Glock was to avoid these issues. My girlfriend took her new S&W Sigma today too. We both shot the same rounds and she had 0 issues..... What an embarrassment

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Did you have the failures with both mags? If not you may want to see if the failures happen with your second mag.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
like I said try a different ammo and see if the problem still exists. my two Glocks have never had a problem so sometimes this happens

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you have the failures with both mags? If not you may want to see if the failures happen with your second mag.
Yeah, failures with both. Did you guys clean and lube your glocks before shooting it the first time?? I was told not to by the dealer but when I got home today after the range I cleaned and lubed the entire gun. I will give it another go tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I second the try both mags. but since it is failure to feed, I might take the mags apart and clean them and make sure the follower is moving smoothly. It is always possible to be having mag spring problems. Happened to me on my Para Ord P14-45 went to wolf +power springs and have never had another problem and that was right out of the box like your problem.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I second the try both mags. but since it is failure to feed, I might take the mags apart and clean them and make sure the follower is moving smoothly. It is always possible to be having mag spring problems. Happened to me on my Para Ord P14-45 went to wolf +power springs and have never had another problem and that was right out of the box like your problem.
I was thinking the same thing. I would tear those mags down and make sure everything looks right. The odds of two mags being messed up is unlikely but you never know. Also to answer your question, beyond a basic field strip and bore inspection most Glocks are ready to shoot out of the box. You also may want to make sure the rounds are seated well against the back of the mag when you load them. I usually tap the back of my mags on my palm after loading them (the back where you can see the primer area through the holes in the mag.) I for one do not buy into the limp wrist suggestion that usually comes up. It is true that extreme limp wristing can induce failures but I personally do not want to own a gun that is so sensitive that a less than perfect grip causes problems. I would strip the mags down, try different ammo and if you still get malfunctions give Glock a call or try to have a local Glock Armorer take a look at it.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
why does everyone blame the mag. I'll put my money on grip

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why does everyone blame the mag. I'll put my money on grip
Like I said. I have been shooting for years, including Glocks. I never had problems with other glocks. If this glock is that sensitive to how I grip it, then I wouldnt want it. I will give it another go tomorrow and see how she does.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
[video=youtube;H_Uqtz2asE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4[/video] watch

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
[video=youtube;H_Uqtz2asE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Uqtz2asE4[/video] watch
I've seen this before. Notice he even said that he couldn't cause a malfunction while holding the gun normally? He is severely limp wristing that gun. A regular grip while if weak I do agree could cause some occasional jams I don't think a weak grip would cause a jam every other round. I had a Ruger P95 that would jam on almost anyone who shot it besides me. The gun must have been very finicky about grip. The same people who shot my Ruger could shoot an xd or Glock without any issues. Again in my opinion a gun that is that picky cannot be trusted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would say switch ammo up and see what happens and put some more rounds through it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen this before. Notice he even said that he couldn't cause a malfunction while holding the gun normally? He is severely limp wristing that gun. A regular grip while if weak I do agree could cause some occasional jams I don't think a weak grip would cause a jam every other round. I had a Ruger P95 that would jam on almost anyone who shot it besides me. The gun must have been very finicky about grip. The same people who shot my Ruger could shoot an xd or Glock without any issues. Again in my opinion a gun that is that picky cannot be trusted.
This is exactly my thoughts. I could see an issue here or there if I was limp wristing, but my grip is normal. Its the way ive shot thousands of rounds through other guns. Like I mentioned, when I gripped a little tighter the FTF were not as frequent, but I was still getting FTF in a mag.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You'll have to report back later after you try it again. Definitely use different ammo though this time just to rule that out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So yesterday I did a completely clean and lube of my Glock. I took the slide assembly apart, cleaned and lubed everything. I sprayed a little bit of ballistol on the sides of the followers in both mags.

Today I took the gun to the range again. I shot over 200 rounds.

Using the PMC ammo I originally used, I still had 3 FTF. Which is way better results than I had yesterday, which was almost every other round.

I shot 50 rounds of Federal white box ammo and had 0 failures.

Both mags had failures.

To dispute the limp wristing, I purposely held the gun very loose in my hands a few times and I had no issues and that was with both the PMC and Federal. So that's NOT the problem.

At this point I am not sure what the problem is. 3 FTF again today is not a good sign for me. Since some mentioned that it might be the ammo. Well I did some research on this ammo today. I have not found one instance of people having problems shooting this ammo through Glocks. Even from the sight I purchased it from, it had great reviews.

Im running out of ideas guys. Only thing I am thinking of doing is changing the springs and maybe followers on the mags. I tried contacting Glock USA again today and no one picked up. Will try again monday.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
In this FTF is the slide locking back or is the slide moving forward and not feeding?

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In this FTF is the slide locking back or is the slide moving forward and not feeding?

AD

Sent from the Glock Range Bag iPad using Tapatalk and a screwdriver
Its not feeding the rounds. Itll shot one or two fine then itll get stuck and not feed the round

1 - 20 of 34 Posts