Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently , Glock 17 occasionaly has a light strike in primer ( small dent ) and fails to fire ., so have to eject. Also noticed that when this happens the slide sits back maybe 1/8" but why does this happen . Firearm clean and in good condition , ammo ok , have used other shooters ammo , have had other shooters use and inspect firearm . Had a lot of suggestions but can't seem to find or fix problem . Problem does'nt seem to have a rythem as to when it happens Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
sounds like the extractor may be interfering with the slide seating against the round properly. Have you ever done a detail strip down or have you taken out the extractor. How old is the weapon? What Generation is it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the extractor may be interfering with the slide seating against the round properly. Have you ever done a detail strip down or have you taken out the extractor. How old is the weapon? What Generation is it?
Firearm is 5 years old - not sure what gen firearm is ( i live in small area of Western Australia - not a lot of info available and firearm dealers really just sell firearms ) Yes has had a complete and full detailed stripdown

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Firearm is 5 years old - not sure what gen firearm is ( i live in small area of Western Australia - not a lot of info available and firearm dealers really just sell firearms ) Yes has had a complete and full detailed stripdown
This will help identify the generation you have.
1st thing you might try is to strip it down again and reassemble it paying particular attention the the extractor assembly and spring as well as the striker assemble, spring and sleeve to ensure they are properly seated. Check fire and see how it works

glockframesv1q10.jpg

2nd thing, did you buy it used or do you know the approximate round count through the gun? If it's used and unknown then I would suggest replacing all of the springs in the Glock and then check fire and see if you see any difference. You can get spring packs fairly cheap.

3rd thing is you could call Glock directly and see what suggestions they have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will help identify the generation you have.
1st thing you might try is to strip it down again and reassemble it paying particular attention the the extractor assembly and spring as well as the striker assemble, spring and sleeve to ensure they are properly seated. Check fire and see how it works

View attachment 427

2nd thing, did you buy it used or do you know the approximate round count through the gun? If it's used and unknown then I would suggest replacing all of the springs in the Glock and then check fire and see if you see any difference. You can get spring packs fairly cheap.

3rd thing is you could call Glock directly and see what suggestions they have.
Glock was bought new and less than 8000 rounds been thru it . Also it is a Gen 3 . I willtry what you have suggested and will post reply on forum with results ( may take a week or 2 ) Thanks for the help

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd make sure the firing pin channel is clean and dry. There is a simple test you can do without disassembling the slide - while depressing the firing pin safety plunger with your thumb, shake the slide front & back. The firing pin should rattle freely (in & out). If it doesn't, it's hanging up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also do a full function test. One thing I noticed when I disassembled my slide was that the striker safety spring got stuck sideways, and when I would cycle the slide with the trigger depressed it would not come back to full battery (it was stuck about 1/8" - 1/4" like you said in your initial post). After I took out the striker safety and the strike safety spring and reassembled it, it worked great afterwords. Sometimes it's best to hold the striker safety on the end of your finger, put the spring in it, and then push it upward into the slide with the slide right side up instead of trying to drop it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update on the problem of an occasional light strike on primer . Decided to replace firing spring pin only because i had a spare but mainly had no idea how to fix fault.( Only getting a light strike occasionally ) Spring looks fine , But replacing the spring has fixed fault. Not one bit of problem all afternoon ( about 600 rounds ) in fast and slow firing . Had a good day Thanks to all the responses and suggestions This is the first forum of any kind that i have joined and will keep a regular eye on forum . Again thanks

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Glad to hear you got the G17 back up and running. There is a lot of Glock knowledge on this site.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Good news rider. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the suggested spring change out count is somewhere around 10K rounds so that would be expected since you say you were at 8K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tried a lighter Wolf striker spring in my G17. It did lighten the trigger pull but gave me one light strike out of 200 round range visit so I put the stock spring back in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also think I have a light striker problem compounded by bad ammo. I bought my first Glock, a 17 second gen. It was reported to have less than 2000 rouonds. I bought it for IDAP and home def.

I bought some cheap 9mm ammo TulAmmo 115 gr to practice with (steel casings). I have had 1-2 fail to fire rounds out of every 8 to 10 rds. Every cartridge had a dent in it and generally worked when I reloaded it. I switched to some Remington 115 gr brass ammo and I had 1 misfire out of about 20 rounds. I then used some 124 gr American Eagle and one misfire out of abt 25 rounds.

I think the TulAmmo sucks and I am going to return it but I still think I have a light striker problem. I broke the gun down and cleaned out the striker channel (it was not very dirty) and the problem persisted. Is this a a problem I should bring to a gun smith or should I just buy a new striker?

thoughts?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Seating could be a possible motive; another is a weak firing pin spring and last; too much trash in the firing pin housing ( a place no one goes unless something is wrong)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, what are some of the issues that cause seating problems?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
It’s called going into battery and usually happens when the slide slams forward and something like a damage bullet or dirty breach face will not allow the slide to seat against the bullet. Remember the firing pin sticks out just thousands of an inch so contact is a must. Rare is it a weak or broken main spring but never rule it out. As I said before get the firing pin out and clean the chamber so the pin can make full contact on the inside

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd never go past 3000 rounds with factory springs. 6000 rounds with Wolff springs. This is below what I found they would last years ago doing thousands of rounds per month between practice and competition with my 23C. This is well below what they will last but that is the point for me. Springs are cheap insurance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the firing pin out last night before I had the problem today, I thoughly cleaned the firing pin channel. Actually it was not that dirty. The problem was very significant with the 115 gr Tulammo, I am going to return this ammo. The problem was much less with the 115 gr Remington and 124 gr American Eagle but I also had some light strikes with both of these. This is what lead me to believe it was not just the Tulammo.

I aslo had several slide jambs, it was a messy day.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I got the firing pin out last night before I had the problem today, I thoughly cleaned the firing pin channel. Actually it was not that dirty. The problem was very significant with the 115 gr Tulammo, I am going to return this ammo. The problem was much less with the 115 gr Remington and 124 gr American Eagle but I also had some light strikes with both of these. This is what lead me to believe it was not just the Tulammo.

For starters, ditch the ammo, man...for sure...hope ya get it worked out...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

Are the light strikes centered or off-center?

·
Registered
17 Posts
good question. generally dead center light stikes as far as I can remember. But I also remember a few off center. I reloaded all misfired ammo and even the Tulammo eventually shot. Since I'm a new shooter, it messes up my technique or what little technique I'm trying to develop. I want to get this straightened out fast so I don't develop bad habits. I was so happy when I loaded a 15 rd mag with the remington ammo and I got thru all the rds with no misfires. But that only happened once with the Remington ammo I eventually got light strikes with that ammo too

thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts