Glock Forum banner

Glock 17 tune up?

7K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  glockpro. 
#1 ·
Hi All. New to this forum. I have a Glock 17 gen 1, purchased new in 1992. Gun has been great and I've shot 1000's of rounds through it, never any issues. The gun is completely stock and I've kept the gun clean and maintained over the years. Is there a Glock "tune up" that maybe need for the gun? If so, is that something Glock does or possibly my local Glock Armorer. Let me know and thanks.

Jtelli71

#2 ·
I would think a good detail strip and a change of springs would do it. A Glock Armorer could do it, or if you live close to Glock in Georgia a visit to them and they will do it free.

#4 ·
Nope. Glocks are tanks. Detail strip, clean all parts, and maybe a foaming bore cleaner for the barrel to do an extra cleaning and you're golden. Spring change while you're at it and that's all.

However, your gun is 20 years old. Possibly maybe even older if you bought it in very early 1992. In Glock terms, that is a classic. I would really pamper it and keep it as new & stock as possible. I know there are collectors out there who'd love to buy it off of you. Even if you replace the springs, hold on to the old ones. I know if I were collecting Glocks, a Gen1 G17 would be on top of my list.

Enjoy

#7 ·
The last old one I touched like that for a friend I ended up just detail stripping and cleaning good. He had less than a 1000 probably through it. If you have a high round count I'd suggest the same thing others have, detail strip and replace the springs. Glock springs are pretty cheap and if you have one pin punch the proper size you can get an armorers manual online that will show you how to detail strip it.
Glocks Armorer's Manual: 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 17L
Also (again like others) I'd snatch up a pristine unmolested first generation 17 like yours if I could find one for a reasonable price. It really is a classic gun in my mind.

#9 ·
If it were my gun I would take or send it to glock in ga. They will inspect and update any components free of charge. I don't know which if any items may need updated but things such as trigger bar,trigger spring housing,ejector or ras will be checked. You also say the gun is stock so I assume you are happy with the stock sights. I would suggest changing the sight to steel should you ever need to rack slide with rear sight. Glock will do this for a very minimal cost. Lastly let's face it, every glock deserves a trip to the glock day spa in ga. I know my girls come home refreshed and ready to serve after a trip there. Welcome to the forum.

#10 · (Edited)
1000 rounds, don't worry about it, just add ammo and you are good to go. If 1000 rounds is an issue for a modern pistol, it belongs in the junk heap. My issued Gen3 model 22 has over 6000 rounds through it and only the recoil spring assembly has been replaced within the last 200 rounds. I almost forgot, the striker assembly was replaced recently. Defective primers on frangible rounds were becoming pierced and flame cutting a groove in the striker nose of our department issued Glocks. Once a groove was cut in the nose it would chip. This was solely an ammunition issue. The rounds were sent back to the manufacturer. All in all, don't sweat it, go shooting.

#11 ·
How old is the gun? What generation is it? There have been some "upgrades" over the years. You can call Glock customer service and they will probably ask for your serial number and tell you if it needs anything.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a friend who has a gen-1 that he uses in the local IPSC match every month. We were talking about it one day and he said he bought it new when he was in the Army and stationed in Germany and went through the hoops to being it back with him. It choked on him during a match one day and he said that he had approx 20K rounds through it and had never changed anything. After this failure, he changed all the springs and it's running like a race horse.

#19 ·
If you have a GSSF shoot close to you the Glock factory tech's will be there and they'll check it out for free. I've had them do it for me. I too have a Gen 1 17. I bought a barrel or two for next to nothing. Google Glock Shooting Sports Foundation for info. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.