Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings folks I'm a new forum member and new to pistols. I've shot skeet for years with my Ruger over/under so I'm not new to guns. I've decided to get a pistol for home defense and to try out this IDPA stuff (for fun and learning I have no delusions of grandeur, just like my skeet shooting). I live in Mass and for those of you in the know the Mass AG (somebody bless her liberal heart) does not like Glocks. To be compliant with state laws I have to get a Glock manufactured prior to October 1998. So I have identified the Glock 17 gen 2 as a potential purchase. A Mass dealer showed me a new Sig Sauer SA/DA. The dealer will not sell Glocks because of the AG (he has nothing against them, just does not want to mess with Big Sis). The Sig is a nice piece but its real expensive and I been warned about the SA/DA for IDPA. In my readings it appears Gen 2s are all compliant in Mass and some Gen 3s. Also in reading up on Glocks it appears the gen 2 is a favorite vs gen 3 and gen 4s. Not sure why.

Any thoughts would the 17 be a good starter? what should I be careful about? I have big hands and I like the feel of the Sig, but I shot the 17 and really liked it and was nailing the target at 47 yards the first time I used it.

Regards
Frank

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum Frank.
You will see some benefits from the Glock over the Sig. Glock will be half the price of a Sig in any other state but Mass and CA, Striker fired instead of hammer operated firing pin which will allow for better control during IDPA Comps. Glocks will be easier to self maintain. I don't think one is better than the other they each have their place in the landscape. I love my Sigs and would never trade them. If you didn't like the Sig DA/SA trigger you could always change that out for a DAK or an SRT trigger but these can cost anywhere between 1 and 2 hundred bucks. Where a lighter trigger on a Glock can be obtained for .25 cents to $15.00. Each are excellent weapons and you can learned to be competitive with either. It really boils down to price point that makes you feel comfortable and which one you like better and most importantly which one feels better in your hand.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
welcome quag from brockton mass. 17 is a nice gun as are all glocks, the 226 is to big and heavy for me in comparison. expensive too as you said but if you weigh the price you might have to pay for a 14 year old glock it will probably narrow the gap in price. best place i have seen for the glocks is four seasons guns in woburn ma. he usually has a good variety of glocks and has an excellent reputation. you also may want to consider the s&w m&p or the ruger sr9c. i have them both and they are nice too . mass compliant and fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, Jimmy I've looked at the 4 seasons web site and they have 4-5 17 gen 2s in stock, but I'm looking at on-line options too. 4 seasons seem to be good people, anybody that puts their dog on their web site is a winner with me. I was worried about the weight of the sig and the price, its seems like a 17 is a better starter for me if I can get it for $500-$600

"Never trust a man that does'nt like a dog"

Mark Twain

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Quag, all of the reasons in the posts above are 100% accurate ! The reason I like Glocks so much is that everytime I pull the trigger they go bang! For years I had been a 1911 guy and was very familiar with the 'tap - rap - bang drill' of clearing FTEs. I have had a few SIGs and they are great weapons but as stated above are heavy.

Do a search on You Tube for Glock torture tests and you will see what I mean about reliability.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
There's no better weapon out there for dependability...PERIOD!
And welcome to the forum... :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
thanks guys, Jimmy I've looked at the 4 seasons web site and they have 4-5 17 gen 2s in stock, but I'm looking at on-line options too. 4 seasons seem to be good people, anybody that puts their dog on their web site is a winner with me. I was worried about the weight of the sig and the price, its seems like a 17 is a better starter for me if I can get it for $500-$600

"Never trust a man that does'nt like a dog"

Mark Twain
Quag, I too am from 'the peoples republic of mass' and I recently bought a gen.2 G20 and G21 from online auction sites. If you shop around, you should be able to find a ma. compliant G17 and get it shipped and transfreerd for under $500.00 and imho, you won't regret choosing the Glock over the Sig. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I knew Massachusetts had a capacity limit, but did not know about the whole Massachusetts approved deal. Did some looking online and wow! Got me to thinking though what happens if you live in one state and own non approved firearms outside of class III, and move to say Massachusetts or California? I realize this might not be the appropriate thread and for that I apologize. Not that I am looking to move to either mind you. On the difference between a Sig and a Glock I love both, and either of them are great for self defense. Would suggest if possible firing both before purchase if possible as they do have different trigger feel.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I knew Massachusetts had a capacity limit, but did not know about the whole Massachusetts approved deal. Did some looking online and wow! Got me to thinking though what happens if you live in one state and own non approved firearms outside of class III, and move to say Massachusetts or California? I realize this might not be the appropriate thread and for that I apologize. Not that I am looking to move to either mind you. On the difference between a Sig and a Glock I love both, and either of them are great for self defense. Would suggest if possible firing both before purchase if possible as they do have different trigger feel.
if you move to mass and you have guns that are not legal here but are legal where you previously lived and you bring them with you and register them here then they become legal here also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info. So far I have lived in fairly gun friendly states Alabama and Florida, but you never know. It would be some true BS if you were told oops gotta sell or go to jail.
if you move to mass and you have guns that are not legal here but are legal where you previously lived and you bring them with you and register them here then they become legal here also.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I've had a few of both, Sigs are well made but I like Glocks more. I was never a fan of the high bore axis on the Sigs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My G17 gen2 has been a winner for me since 1988. I just put in a KKM barrel so I could shoot more cast bullets. It cut my group size in half. I have fired several Sigs and they are pretty nice but don't care for he DA/SA setup. That makes them significantly different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks judge as a new pistolero Im glad I listened to folks about theSA/DA I think thats too much right now but the Sig 226 sure is a fine weapon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts