Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a Glock 19, I use the range ammo, recently at the range, I load up my Magazine Tube, pull back on the slide, and every 3rd to 4th load, the bullet does not load.

I have had this G19 about a year and a half, what would cause this? Range Ammo, Factory Barrel need replacing, Guide Rod Spring need replacing?

Thanks

Shinwa

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are you saying that when you try to chamber the first round from the magazine by hand, the round doesn't fully load?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If it doesent load the first round by the slingshot method (pulling back the slide past the slide realease and then letting go) then try just releasing the slide release and see if that works. With that said, I slingshot all of my first rounds.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If it doesent load the first round by the slingshot method (pulling back the slide past the slide realease and then letting go) then try just releasing the slide release and see if that works. With that said, I slingshot all of my first rounds.
Exactly.

Shinwa, when you chamber the first round, are you pulling the slide all the way back then releasing it like a slingshot?

Or are you leaving your hand on the slide, "riding" it forward?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Is the magazine fully seated? I know with my older G30, it sometimes didn't fully insert even though I thought it had. I don't have that problem with my 9mm's though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Exactly what do you mean by 'range ammo'? Is it factory new, factory reloads ? Have you tried other brands of ammo, or is it always the same stuff??

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm guessing magazine problem, or bad ammo...Does this happen with all magazines...?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm guessing magazine problem, or bad ammo...Does this happen with all magazines...?
+1 on that. I have had the bad ammo problem before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the glock back to the range, I was thinking it was the feed ramp, I was not cleaning it good enough, but, they said they just switched to truncated cone bullets and were getting a lot of this issue,

Difficult to test, can't fire in the house and range said 9mm Snap Caps might not test this, so,

I need to test fire a different bullet somewhere.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I took the glock back to the range, I was thinking it was the feed ramp, I was not cleaning it good enough, but, they said they just switched to truncated cone bullets and were getting a lot of this issue,

Difficult to test, can't fire in the house and range said 9mm Snap Caps might not test this, so,

I need to test fire a different bullet somewhere.
I missed where you said "the" range ammo. Do you know the brand/grain of the ammo that failed?

Does the range let you fire your own ammo?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The range ammo is from the range, they do not allow you to bring in your own. They are using Fiocchi.
That's not cool! My range makes you buy their ammo for their rentals, but as long as it's not steel-core ammo, you can shoot whatever you want in your own guns.

I guess it could have something to do with the ammo. I've never shot their flat-nosed 9mm before - no problems with their .357 SIG stuff, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah, I get that response alot about purchasing the range ammo. I have a small concern if the bullet gets hung, if there is any damage to the slide lock spring, or if I have to replace the recoil spring assembly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, follow up.

I took the Glock to another range, as a guest, spoke to the staff. They opened the slide lock, loaded a magazine. They said to chamber a round, Overhand and Slingshot "sometimes" might jam a bullet into the chamber, the preferred mothod of using your thumb on the slide release. Never heard that before, I was taught either way will load the chamber.

Any thoughts, might be time to have the gun looked at

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
ok, follow up.

I took the Glock to another range, as a guest, spoke to the staff. They opened the slide lock, loaded a magazine. They said to chamber a round, Overhand and Slingshot "sometimes" might jam a bullet into the chamber, the preferred mothod of using your thumb on the slide release. Never heard that before, I was taught either way will load the chamber.

You are right to question their advice. Slingshot is the correct method. You can certainly use the slide STOP lever (not release) if you choose, but a correct slingshot should never cause a round to jam.

Have you had any failures with any ammo other than the Fiocchi?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
ok, follow up.

Either method is the correct method, The overhand method can be problematic if not done correctly and the slide release method is less prone to the indicated problem. So in a way the people at the range are correct however, 'preferred' is a personal and situational opinion. You need to be mindful when using the overhand method. Do not ride the slide forward, this can cause a mis-feed. You must release the slide when fully extended to the rear. The easiest way to remember that is, when pulling the slide to the rear to break the slide lock as you reach the stopping point let your grip loosen and allow your hand to continue it's rearward motion and slip off the slide, then bring your hand back to the support position on the weapon. Run it that way slow the way you normally do the overhand release and see if you notice any difference. I have seen people pull the slide to the rear to break the lock and then try to give the slide a little push to help it out. It doesn't help it. Let the springs do what they were designed to do.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Either method is the correct method, The overhand method can be problematic if not done correctly and the slide release method is less prone to the indicated problem. So in a way the people at the range are correct however, 'preferred' is a personal and situational opinion. You need to be mindful when using the overhand method. Do not ride the slide forward, this can cause a mis-feed. You must release the slide when fully extended to the rear. The easiest way to remember that is, when pulling the slide to the rear to break the slide lock as you reach the stopping point let your grip loosen and allow your hand to continue it's rearward motion and slip off the slide, then bring your hand back to the support position on the weapon. Run it that way slow the way you normally do the overhand release and see if you notice any difference. I have seen people pull the slide to the rear to break the lock and then try to give the slide a little push to help it out. It doesn't help it. Let the springs do what they were designed to do.
Good point about continuing the backward motion with the hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts