Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into a conceal carry weapon for my girlfriend...I've considered the Glock 19 since its small/ergonomical and holds plenty of rounds.
However, smith and wessons newest M&P subcompact The M&P Shield looks like it might be a better fit. What do you all think of the two compared to one another?

Keep in mind, this is for a lady who is fairly new to firearms and doesn't want to lug around a big gun in her purse.

Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm not crazy about the S&W M&P's, but I think the G26 would be a better option than the G19. However, being that she is fairly new to shooting, You should have her train a lot, and become very comfortable with, a larger 9mm Glock before transitioning to the sub compact 26, and then train a lot with that.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm not crazy about the S&W M&P's, but I think the G26 would be a better option than the G19. However, being that she is fairly new to shooting, You should have her train a lot, and become very comfortable with, a larger 9mm Glock before transitioning to the sub compact 26, and then train a lot with that.
+1...she needs to shoot all of them, and make a choice based on how she likes them...I agree on the G19 first...but it's about her, not us...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
+2 - I've seen too many female shooters absolutely HATE what their guy picked out for them :)

Have her try a few different brands & models. Probably a good idea to stick with 9mm, but generally the smaller the pistol, the greater the felt recoil so there will be some point where, for her, it balances out well.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm not a big S&W fan either, but I do love my S&W99. If I had to make the choice between a Glock and a S&W I would go Glock and not because this is a Glock site. In this day in age I would not CCW an single stack anything and unfortunately that is what the M&P Shield is reported to be. With bad guys traveling in packs more now days and since they don't care to follow the law and will carry a auto and not care. I prefer to have the availability of more rounds rather than a paper weight at then end of 7 rounds.

You might look at a G26 rather than a G19 if you are looking for a purse gun or something smaller to conceal.

PS. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I completly agree !!! And if carrying in the purse be sure it is in a pocket holster or some other type of holster. You dont want her digging in the purse for it and grabbing an exposed trigger.

Reactions: spfldguns

·
Registered
655 Posts
+1...she needs to shoot all of them, and make a choice based on how she likes them...I agree on the G19 first...but it's about her, not us...
+1 she will be more comfortable if she gets a little range time in on each of them.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I had a full size M&P 9mm and .40 and liked them a lot. They are nice guns, great sights and trigger, reliable and ergonomic.

Looks like M&P shield is a bit smaller than G19 so either go with a G26 or the M&P, but let her handle both and pick what fits her best.

·
Registered
655 Posts
another good thing to do is find a range near you that rents handguns for range use. Let her try them out and see which she likes better
This is what will make the difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Most definately something to block the trigger. I might even change out the trigger connector to the NY 10.5 just to be safer. Last thing you want is for your lipstick to kick off a round in your purse :)
No matter what pocketbook/purse my wife buys, she always makes sure there is an inside pocket-preferably with a snap or zip-that she can devote to her carry piece and nothing else. I trained her well;)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm looking into a conceal carry weapon for my girlfriend...I've considered the Glock 19 since its small/ergonomical and holds plenty of rounds.
However, smith and wessons newest M&P subcompact The M&P Shield looks like it might be a better fit. What do you all think of the two compared to one another?

Keep in mind, this is for a lady who is fairly new to firearms and doesn't want to lug around a big gun in her purse.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, by the way...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my S&W M&P Pro.

I'm thinking about buying the "Shield" too, but I've got to shoot one 1st.

I'd suggest you wife look at & shoot many different brands of guns.

:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
have her try some different models before you decide to get one... maybe like a g26 which is what my girlfriend uses but if you wanna stick with the 9mm let her try a ruger sr9c to compare something with the glock. it was handgun of the year i think last year or the year before but it will give you an idea of how good or not good(very unlikely) she likes the g19

1 - 19 of 19 Posts