Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a glock for a number of years. I just bought a 19c today. I did so with the understanding that I could still use an Ameriglo sight. But I just read a post on another forum that I can't do that because the exhaust will melt the sight. I really wanted to use Ameriglo with a dominant from sight. Am I SOL?

If I can't use Ameriglo, what can I use and still have a bright front sight and dimmer rear sights?

I just joined the forum 10 minutes ago.

Thank you

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Due to the hot gasses coming from the porting it might damage any front sight that lights up with prolonged shooting besides shooting that gun at night will be blinding with the flashing light coming up in your eyes.

You can get a second barrel but it will just prolong the damage. you need to make a decision to do away with the compensator barrel or get regular sights

·
Registered
960 Posts
An LEO that I met at my favorite gun store has a ported 22. (He bought the barrel and slide at the same shop that stocks a lot of blue labels). He installs Meprolights right away. He told me that even with the steel sights, the front sight seems to get trashed over time. He also said the plastic sights won't last very long. This LEO is a K-9 S.W.A.T. officer and apparently shoots a lot! He said he has to replace his front sight about every 5 or 6 months. I'm sure he is tough on his Glocks and besides that, it's a Glock, made to be treated like a lawnmower left outside all of the time. IMO, I would probably go ahead and replace them.
And Welcome to the Forum from Alabama! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I did also ask that LEO if he had problems shooting at night because of the upward blast. He told me at first it was a little difficult, but he adjusted quickly and has no problem with it at all. He is a 2nd shift officer and most of his work is in the dark. He also added that he would never own a handgun without a ported barrel.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
[video=youtube;8TNcz9Ei-qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNcz9Ei-qk[/video]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate the feedback, ie, blindness, blast effect on sight, etc. So I've given up on Ameriglo. I looked at Meprolights and went to the their website. I don't see under specs if they are metal. However, they look metallic and seem like a viable alternative. I don't want to give up the porting. I had Polio as a child and have issues. I can shoot a non-ported glock but it is hard on me. I need the reduced muzzle flip. I won't have a gun that I can't practice with. It's dangerous. However, I will probably only put 200 rounds a week through it to stay proficient. I will try shooting it low light scenarios just to understand the blast effect.

So I'm not pumping rounds through it like the LEO you mentioned which should reduce wear and tear if the meprolights are made of metal. If they do wear out, I'm willing to pay the cost to replace them more frequently. I'm not too concerned about night blindness although the G20 fireball was dramatic. I will have a Streamlight on the 19c. I would never shoot at anything that I can't identify which requires illumination at night.

One last issue. I live in a town home and am concerned about my neighbors. We have big cinder block between each unit. Is there a load that will give me stopping power in 9mm but would minimize the risk to my neighbors. Maybe there is no such compromise available. But if there is, maybe you all have some suggestions.

Thank you!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I really appreciate the feedback, ie, blindness, blast effect on sight, etc. So I've given up on Ameriglo. I looked at Meprolights and went to the their website. I don't see under specs if they are metal. However, they look metallic and seem like a viable alternative. I don't want to give up the porting. I had Polio as a child and have issues. I can shoot a non-ported glock but it is hard on me. I need the reduced muzzle flip. I won't have a gun that I can't practice with. It's dangerous. However, I will probably only put 200 rounds a week through it to stay proficient. I will try shooting it low light scenarios just to understand the blast effect.

So I'm not pumping rounds through it like the LEO you mentioned which should reduce wear and tear if the meprolights are made of metal. If they do wear out, I'm willing to pay the cost to replace them more frequently. I'm not too concerned about night blindness although the G20 fireball was dramatic. I will have a Streamlight on the 19c. I would never shoot at anything that I can't identify which requires illumination at night.

One last issue. I live in a town home and am concerned about my neighbors. We have big cinder block between each unit. Is there a load that will give me stopping power in 9mm but would minimize the risk to my neighbors. Maybe there is no such compromise available. But if there is, maybe you all have some suggestions.

Thank you!
Glad to know you don't fire as much as a LEO! That being said, you would not have to replace them for quite a while. I am providing a link to Meprolight Sights on RockYourGlock.com They are steel and will last a long time. The LEO officer I spoke with said they are the most durable in his usage experience. Sorry to hear about your medical problem from the past. I hope you don't have any other lingering health problems due to the illness. As far as ammo, I will let someone else run with that. I have had a lot of ammo questions answered on this site. Good Luck! :)

http://www.rockyourglock.com/custom/MEPROLIGHT/ML-10224PB12.htm

And, by the way, that is the cheapest price that I found on the web.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I have TruGlo night sights on mine and I am very pleased with them. Amazon just had them for 56.00 a set and free shipping so at that price if you burn up the front sight all you have to do is replace it.

I myself never had the chance to do muck night firing and as you can see the flash can be devastating in the dark but someone told me once that if you close your eyes for a brief second when pulling the trigger it will help

your other question about the wall; you can try magsafe or glaser safety slugs. Both will fragment on impact and minimize damage beyond your impact point

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum ! The only experience I have had was with a Magna Ported N Frame 44 Mag years ago. Lots of Flash but it was a 44Mag, not a 9mm. I too, like a front sight that grabs my attention. TruGlo should work for you as stated above, and if the porting helps you then that is the way to go. Good Shooting!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
..."I myself never had the chance to do muck night firing and as you can see the flash can be devastating in the dark but someone told me once that if you close your eyes for a brief second when pulling the trigger it will help ...."
The only problem with that though, is that the way we train, is the way we'll react...I can't imagine training myself to close my eyes for what may one day be a CQB with that firearm..best bet I'd say is train/practice to adjust/get used to the flash quicker.

And welcome to the forum, by the way...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I've run Meps on a couple of different Glocks and like them a lot. And yes, they are metal.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
The only problem with that though, is that the way we train, is the way we'll react...I can't imagine training myself to close my eyes for what may one day be a CQB with that firearm..best bet I'd say is train/practice to adjust/get used to the flash quicker.

And welcome to the forum, by the way...
Think of it this way; how does your eyes adjust to a flash light in your face? The pulps restrict and minimize the light coming in. this is a reaction and can't be changed.

pirates didn't wear a patch over their eye because that didn't have an eye but because it keep one eye adjusted to the dark all the time so when they went from a lite room to the outside they were not blinded and could read a star scope.

Muzzle flash is not restricted to ported guns but any hand gun so I would have to agree with closing your eyes for a brief second and retain the best tactical edge you can

muzzle flash.jpg

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Think of it this way; how does your eyes adjust to a flash light in your face? The pulps restrict and minimize the light coming in. this is a reaction and can't be changed.

pirates didn't wear a patch over their eye because that didn't have an eye but because it keep one eye adjusted to the dark all the time so when they went from a lite room to the outside they were not blinded and could read a star scope.

Muzzle flash is not restricted to ported guns but any hand gun so I would have to agree with closing your eyes for a brief second and retain the best tactical edge you can

View attachment 689
As you said, your eyes are going to naturally blink for light adjustment...but I'm not intentionally going to close my eyes beyond that, and train that way, especially in training for what may take me to a gunfight (Which I pray that never happens)...that's tough with any gun, as you said, and not just ported guns. I think training for for quicker recovery/focus by fighting to keep our eyes on target would be far more beneficial (and safer) that training to intentionally close our eyes as we're shooting at a target...
And man...I'm disappointed to learn that pirates wore patches for night vision...I always thought they were tough guys...lol

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have TruGlo night sights on mine and I am very pleased with them. Amazon just had them for 56.00 a set and free shipping so at that price if you burn up the front sight all you have to do is replace it.

I myself never had the chance to do muck night firing and as you can see the flash can be devastating in the dark but someone told me once that if you close your eyes for a brief second when pulling the trigger it will help

your other question about the wall; you can try magsafe or glaser safety slugs. Both will fragment on impact and minimize damage beyond your impact point
Glad to hear another report on those sights...I just saw them online, and I'm probably gonna put them on one of mine...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Don’t get me wrong I am not saying take a nap but you’re going to be blinded by the flash anyway so why not close your eyes for a split second and avoid night blindness. After all you’re not going to see anything for that second anyway. I always thought the pirate and the patch thing had something to do with the hook replacing the hand thing, but no it was a common practice

Have any of you ever seen the movie "payback with Mel Gibson". There was a scene where MG walks in to a room with a mafia crime boss and the crime boss says "I can tell a professional when I see one" and then he mentions something that I will never forget. He says “you can tell he's one because when he entered the room he stops at the door for a minute and let his eyes adjust to the darkness"

and just for the record the truglo's are american made and steel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts