Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My department lets me choose between three 40 cal weapons. Beretta 96, Smith&Wessom M&P-40 or Glock model 22. The S&W gave me problems so I switched to the Glock. During practice sessions using 124 grain plated bullets from Rainier I got very large groups and alot of keyholed bullet strikes. I assume the Glock barrel doesn't like the plated bullets. I tried several loads with several powders and it was always the same. What would be a good barrel that I can put in this weapon that will let me shoot all bullet types? I need a drop in barrel that is of good quality. If I am staking my life on a pistol I want pinpoint accuracy and 100% reliability.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are you loading them as lead, low speed and light crimp?

I don't roll my own, but this is what I found:

...remember to load same as lead, not jacketed.
.. keep the speed down to the low to mid range, and use a light crimp. Plated projectiles (Berrys, Rainiers, etc) don't take well to hot loads or excessive crimp. Excessive being one that cuts the plating.
...too much & you can expect terrible accuracy.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Good info RMD ! That is what I like about this Forum. Quick and to the point info and no smart-alec crap as on that other large Glock forum.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My department lets me choose between three 40 cal weapons. Beretta 96, Smith&Wessom M&P-40 or Glock model 22. The S&W gave me problems so I switched to the Glock. During practice sessions using 124 grain plated bullets from Rainier I got very large groups and alot of keyholed bullet strikes. I assume the Glock barrel doesn't like the plated bullets. I tried several loads with several powders and it was always the same. What would be a good barrel that I can put in this weapon that will let me shoot all bullet types? I need a drop in barrel that is of good quality. If I am staking my life on a pistol I want pinpoint accuracy and 100% reliability.
Glen, What is your required carry load...?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a similar problem with "West Coast" plated bullets. I made some mid-range loads for my Marlin 44 Mag lever rifle & I couldn't hit the paper at all at 25 yards. I knew it had to be the bullets because with factory ammo or lead handloads the rifle was capable of under 2-inch groups at 50 yards. When I switched to "Berry's Plated" bullets, the problem disappeared & I was back to excellent accuracy.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
124gr bullet in .40? Are you sure they weren't 9mm bullets? :p Is there even such a beast? I'd stick with 165 and 180 gr for .40. I use 180gr-ers myself.

I reload and only shoot plated in ALL my guns, my Glocks never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
124gr bullet in .40? Are you sure they weren't 9mm bullets? :p Is there even such a beast? I'd stick with 165 and 180 gr for .40. I use 180gr-ers myself.

I reload and only shoot plated in ALL my guns, my Glocks never had an issue with them.
My thoughts exactly. If you were shooting 124gr out of a .40 that is probably the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had great luck reloading Berry's in both 9mm and 45ACP. Regarding drop-in barrels, just got a KKM for my G17 and it cut groups in half. Reliability has been 100 percent. Would get one for my G21 also but can't improve on one hole groups. Shown is KKM group. IMG_1105.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts