Glock Forum banner

Glock 23 4th Gen - sights

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  ivanwi11iams 
#1 ·
Evening all,

Besides having coloured sights for night use, what is the real benefit of changing the default sights on a Glock 23 4th Gen?

And, adding to that, what sights are recommended?
Thanks all

#3 · (Edited)
Well, . . . first of all they're not 'colored sights'; they're illuminated (or glowing) sights. Second, they're not really 'night sights', either; they're low-light sights, instead. What is the advantage? Hmmm, . . . after 20, some odd, years of using these things (mostly Meprolights) I certainly don't know? In my opinion about the best of them is TrueGlo's TFX Pro 'Brite-Sites'; or, for those who prefer a smaller and less distracting front sight, Heine's 'Straight 8' sight set.

In my experience, I have found Meprolight's incredibly bright (and exceedingly large) illuminated sight sets to be, at least occasionally, way too bright to use for 'serious work' while you're in the dark–so to speak! The problem with all really bright 'night sights' is that they are designed to work best in consistently dim (rather than light 'n dark dappled) light. For instance I once had a target charge me from about 15 yards away. The movement was fast, and the target's background varied every few feet between inky blackness to various shades of reflected light–Some of it quite bright!

Well, I was so busy trying to focus on my brilliantly glowing bright green Meprolight front sight that, as the target passed through varying shades of light and dark, it disappeared right behind my brilliantly glowing front sight–right behind it! If I had fired at that exact moment the shot would have been where the target had just been rather than where it actually was (a whole lot closer to me)! Consequently, for playing gun games or fooling around at the range I think 'night sights' are great; however, for serious work out in the real world, quite frankly, I'd rather not use them.

Oh, by the way, I've known plenty of gunmen who did just fine with an all black set of metal sights (often Warren) on their Glock pistols.

Reactions: ivanwi11iams
#4 ·
I appreciate the responses thus far. This certainly gives me a lot to think about. In a quick review of a few sights, these things aren’t exactly cheap. Albeit, I am sure you get what you pay for.

In addition I’d need to get them fitted. The front sights I’m sure I could install. But the rare sights needs a tool of sorts, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
Yup! You have to make sure that the height of both sights fit YOUR Glock; and that the width of the rear sight notch is wide enough for the kind of shooting you plan on doing. (Wider notches are for fast moving targets; and narrower notches are for more precise hits on a target.) Rear sight installation (when it's done correctly) requires the use of a 'sight pusher' tool; and on Glock pistols that sight pusher needs to accept angled (or sloped) sides, as well.

It's, probably, easier to just give the dealer's gunsmith an extra $25-$35 dollars, and let him install the sights for ya! HOWEVER, I very strongly recommend that if any sort of 'Loctite Threadlocker' is used then it should be either 'Purple', (Which does work!) or 'Blue' Loctite. Stay completely away from 'Red' Loctite–Which I've seen ruin the slide on more than one Glock pistol; and 'Red' Loctite also requires a damned good machinist in order to remove an older sight from the gun.

Yes, I KNOW what a number of other 'big name' gunsmiths do on their pistol sight installations; and I'm warning you: Do NOT allow any gunsmith to use 'Red' Loctite on your Glock! 'Red' Loctite is NOT for pistol sights; and, if it is used, then sooner or later 'Red' Loctite will cause a serious (and probably expensive) sight removal problem for you to have to clean up. For the vast majority of pistol calibers (including 'hot' loads) 'Purple' or 'Blue' Loctite is going to provide more locking power than you will ever actually need.

#8 · (Edited)
Sometimes at gun shows there is a Glock certified armorer who sells and installs for free. Only thing I have is an ex-Metro Glock 22 gen4. I am guessing factory night sights. I seldom carry it. Can't say how old they are, and if they have gotten dim over the years. I have these on my G23, and my G27. I used the bars and the big dots on the front. They really help in the daytime too. Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights

#10 ·
Motorway? You sound like a "fuuriner!" Most sellers do plastic $ at gun shows. Actually check into the GSSF. My brother had some sights swapped out by a Glock certified armorer. They didn't even use a pusher tool. The guy just used a punch! A GSSF match would be a good start to shooting under pressure. I shot a club match with one of our highly respected members. Bad thing it was 100miles from me. I did shoot a club match in Key Largo last month. I had fun both times. I sucked but still had fun. I learned new things both times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.