Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up a brand new Glock 27 a few days ago and took it shooting this weekend. Ran about 100 rounds of Winchester white box through it.
Disassembled for cleaning today and I noticed that the "bar" (sorry don't know the technical term) that runs parallel with the slide directly to the right of the firing pin safety is discolored. I know this picture isn't that great, but the G27 slide is on the left and I have my G19 generation 3 on the right. The G19 "bar" is still primarily black (like the rest of the
slide) with a few wear marks on it. I have had this weapon for about a year now and it has seen quite a bit of use. The G27 "bar" is very discolored, and has only seen about 100 rounds. The bar in the G27 does not appear to be rough, chipped, or damaged in any way...just discolored. The pistol was purchased brand new (guy at the store pulled it from the middle of a stack of G27s and he said it was never displayed), and this was the first time I broke it down for cleaning. It is hard to tell in the picture, and even in different lighting...but the discoloration appears to be a gold, silver, tan-ish coloring. I don't think it is rust, but this just seemed odd to me.
Anybody else notice discoloration like this on Glocks straight out of the box? Should I be concerned about this (safety, functionality, reliability, corrosion, etc.)?

sorry this pic is garbage. The slide on the left is the G27, and it somewhat highlights the discolotation I am refering to.

Electronic instrument Circuit component Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Skyscraper

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Glockski welcome to the forum first off.

Mine looks the same as yours does. Mine is a G2y0 Gen3 gun. I have about 500 round through it at this point and everything seems to be fine. I add a little extra lube to it when cleaning. I can't remember but I really think that my gun was like this after the first outing with it as well.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Factory lubrication/break in oil (I have seen it called both on the Forums) is a gold color. I assume that is what you are seeing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Texcowboy,

I had some of the factory lube on the slide, but that came off when cleaning.This discoloration is actually the entire metal piece next to the firing pin safety.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That discoloration could be a result of the copper grease. I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks like pieces are breaking off and it has a build up of rust.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mine gets pretty dirty. I scrub it well and it gets a bit shinier, but I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The OP is, more than likely, talking about the SLIDE PICK-UP RAIL. What's on it? Well, by guessing at the color it's, probably, some more of Glock's infamous 'gold-colored grease'. Which would be Loctite C-5A (formerly Permatex), or another similar German-manufactured, copper-based, ANTI-SEIZE COMPOUND.

The Loctite C5-A is there to: (1) Protect a Glock from corrosion between the dissimilar metals of the slide, and STRIKER safety (GLOCK PISTOL DO NOT HAVE A 'FIRING PIN') during PROLONGED distributor storage, as well as to (2) guarantee that a new, possibly uncleaned, and unlubricated Glock pistol will go, 'Bang!' the first time it is used.’ (No preliminary cleaning or other inspection appears to have been done on this pistol.)

Finally, there are HUGE differences between the way a 9 x 19mm pistol operates and fires, and a 40 S&W caliber pistol. (A 40 caliber frame – especially a 40 caliber subcompact frame – is subject to a great deal more mechanical stress than a Model 19 will ever experience. Stress which often shows up as: increased frame marks, dings, and slightly worn edges. I suggest that, if you like your new Model 27, you should get used to the appearance of worn metal–It ain't a 9; it'll never be a 9; so stop comparing it to one!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts