Glock Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this and I thought it was worth sharing. There is a lot of talk about using reloads and how some people have been using them for years with no problems and then one day there is a problem. When there is a problem it is generally a serious problem so the question here is how much money did this person save using reloads?

[video=youtube;_q9O-wVfQ-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9O-wVfQ-s&feature=g-all-c[/video]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not profess to be an expert or even particularly knowledgable about reloading, so I am only parroting what I deduced when I contemplated reloading .40 a few years ago. That is that .40 S&W is a pretty high pressure round, quite a lot higher than the .45 ACP. As it was explained to me, this is hard on the shell cases and they shouldn't be reloaded more than a few times. Knowing that I'm not really meticulous enough to keep track, I gave up the idea and stuck to the .45. I know others reload with seemingly good success, but I sure never want the opportunity to take a photo like that above.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ouch .... so does anyone know what the (safe) number of times a .40 casing can be reloaded?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I am starting to get into reloading, was planning on trying .40 first since that is what I shoot the most. Now I am nervous!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Back when it was nothing for me to have 400 round training session multiple times per week I was reloading non-stop for my 23. Never had a problem. Of course I only used my own reloads, wasn't trying to turn my gun into a 10mm, stayed below safe maximums, was very careful to only pick up my own brass. My advice is if you are going to reload any high pressure round keep using the cases until you reach the point they have stretched enough to need to be trimmed in length the first time. Then don't trim them. Just discard. If you are doing a lot of shooting, if you are meticulous, if you have the time, you can save a lot of money reloading. If you aren't then don't bother.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a safe number is determined by the brass and how it flows (every time shot it stretches longer) and explains. When this happens it has to be force back into size and that happens; brass fatigues and starts to crack. In a tight tolerance barrel you just throw it away but with a loose barrel this is the results.

When I was reloading 3 times was all I would push a round, after that it just wasn't worth it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts