Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any posts about Glocks .357's. Anyone have experience firing these? How's the accuracy and recoil? Just curious. I haven't fire a .357 since my old wheel gun days!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Oh yeh...we have a few of those guys around...they'll be along...:)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have the G31 and the G33, sold the G32 and regret selling it. The G33 is as small as the G26, a great summer CCW handgun. The G31 is the same size as the G17 and to me is a great CCW with a covering garment such as a jacket or vest using an IWB holster. The 357auto has outstanding ballistics, is very accurate and to me the recoil is not harsh. As compared to the 40 cal, it pushes back in recoil more instead of snapping up like the 40.

The 357 Auto is one of my favorite calibers, the others being the 10MM and the 45 ACP.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the G31 and the G33, sold the G32 and regret selling it. The G33 is as small as the G26, a great summer CCW handgun. The G31 is the same size as the G17 and to me is a great CCW with a covering garment such as a jacket or vest using an IWB holster. The 357auto has outstanding ballistics, is very accurate and to me the recoil is not harsh. As compared to the 40 cal, it pushes back in recoil more instead of snapping up like the 40.

The 357 Auto is one of my favorite calibers, the others being the 10MM and the 45 ACP.
Thank you sir! When I pick up my new 21 next week, I will try one out at the range. Might be fun to do a comparison between the recoil of the .357, my 23 and my new 21! :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Love my G32!

Practice rounds are a bit pricey ($.30-.$.34/round), but the round seems to be compiling a nice "street" record among LEOs. A bit less snappy (to me) than the .40 S&W, and quite fun to shoot :)

·
Banned
966 Posts
I don't get what everybody says about the .40 being "snappy". I've fired it alongside a .357 and .45 ACP and they all feel about the same to me, and more importantly, have about the same effect on my accuracy. Any upward movement of my hand is after the bullet has left the muzzle because my misses tend to be low-left. I can definitely feel a difference when firing a 9mm (less recoil) but I don't gain enough accuracy to warrant defending myself with that wimpy little round. Give me snappy any day! :cool:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I don't get what everybody says about the .40 being "snappy". I've fired it alongside a .357 and .45 ACP and they all feel about the same to me, and more importantly, have about the same effect on my accuracy. Any upward movement of my hand is after the bullet has left the muzzle because my misses tend to be low-left. I can definitely feel a difference when firing a 9mm (less recoil) but I don't gain enough accuracy to warrant defending myself with that wimpy little round. Give me snappy any day! :cool:
Keep in mind that recoil is a very subjective matter. What feels 'snappy' to me may not feel that way to you. I am accustomed and comfortable with the recoil of 10MM, 357Auto and 45 acp. In the past I collected S&W N frames and have shot from 44 magnum on down, my favorite at the time was 41 magnum which has about the same ballistics as the 357auto.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Keep in mind that recoil is a very subjective matter. What feels 'snappy' to me may not feel that way to you. I am accustomed and comfortable with the recoil of 10MM, 357Auto and 45 acp. In the past I collected S&W N frames and have shot from 44 magnum on down, my favorite at the time was 41 magnum which has about the same ballistics as the 357auto.
So true...While the .40 is generally considered a little "snappier" than 9mm's, that doesn't mean it's scarey, just a little more "felt"...I'm not a big recoil fan in rifles, but I'm learning to love "mini cannons"...They can all be mastered with enough practice...but isn't that the key to any caliber...?...especially to the specific one we carry...

·
Banned
966 Posts
So true...While the .40 is generally considered a little "snappier" than 9mm's, that doesn't mean it's scarey, just a little more "felt"...I'm not a big recoil fan in rifles, but I'm learning to love "mini cannons"...They can all be mastered with enough practice...but isn't that the key to any caliber...?...especially to the specific one we carry...
Very true. As long as my .40's are hitting the target center-mass I barely notice the "snap". That snap is just my round's way of saying, "I'm on my way to the target with prejudice!" :p

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Very true. As long as my .40's are hitting the target center-mass I barely notice the "snap". That snap is just my round's way of saying, "I'm on my way to the target with prejudice!" :p
I don't have snap with .45's...I just aim, shoot...they know where to go, but I don't allow them to talk along the way...No attitude in my mags...no prejudice, either... lol...They do what I expect them to do, or they get tossed...just ask TAP...ha ha..:rolleyes: Man, this is a great country...:D

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I don't have snap with .45's...I just aim, shoot...they know where to go, but I don't allow them to talk along the way...No attitude in my mags...no prejudice, either... lol...They do what I expect them to do, or they get tossed...just ask TAP...ha ha..:rolleyes: Man, this is a great country...:D
Now my Rotty...that's a different story...He has A T T I T U D E :cool:, lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now my Rotty...that's a different story...He has A T T I T U D E :cool:, lol
Aren't they supposed to have attitudes? Not just Rottys, all of them! Every one I had tended to "rule the roost"! LOL!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as the .40 being "snappy", It might be but I certainly don't notice it. I find when I fire any bore .40 and up, I seem to get the same amount of recoil. Of course the gun may make a difference and I am a believer that the spring installed in the Gen 4 does help. On one of my trips to the local range, an on-duty uniformed police officer stopped me in the parking lot carrying my range bag in. He asked me if I carry a Glock. And if so, was it a Gen 4? I said yes, I have a Gen 4 23 in my bag. He asked about the recoil compared to his 22 Gen 3. I said, you want to shoot it? He said, I thought you would never ask! He DID leave the store with a new 22 Gen 4 in his possession. And yes, the city I was in allows the officers "on duty" range time as long as it's within their jurisdiction. Just so happens there's a huge firearms store with a very nice indoor range right in the heart of his beat! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as the .40 being "snappy", It might be but I certainly don't notice it. I find when I fire any bore .40 and up, I seem to get the same amount of recoil. Of course the gun may make a difference and I am a believer that the spring installed in the Gen 4 does help. On one of my trips to the local range, an on-duty uniformed police officer stopped me in the parking lot carrying my range bag in. He asked me if I carry a Glock. And if so, was it a Gen 4? I said yes, I have a Gen 4 23 in my bag. He asked about the recoil compared to his 22 Gen 3. I said, you want to shoot it? He said, I thought you would never ask! He DID leave the store with a new 22 Gen 4 in his possession. And yes, the city I was in allows the officers "on duty" range time as long as it's within their jurisdiction. Just so happens there's a huge firearms store with a very nice indoor range right in the heart of his beat! :)
I wasn't sure why he asked if I had a Glock. Hmm...could be the Glock stickers on the outside of my jeep and the shirt that I happened to be wearing that day! LOL!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Well, well...you do realize of course that you are contributing to that backlog of 600,000 pistols in Smyrna...? :p

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, well...you do realize of course that you are contributing to that backlog of 600,000 pistols in Smyrna...? :p
Yes I do! The good thing is, the stores that I frequent ALWAYS has at least 4 or 5 of each caliber in stock. Brand new! That might be the reason for the backlog! LOL!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems like all gun stores in Alabama always have what I'm looking for or anyone else as far as that goes. So, if the 2nd Amendment ever got "altered", the folks in Alabama will be ready!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My girlfriend will be out of town on business for 4 days next week. Got my days already planned out.........Monday, go and pick up the new 21. Go to the range and take all 4 guns. Tuesday.....have some coffee early then go to the range with my LEO best friend (his off days are Tuesday and Wednesday). Wednesday....................see Tuesday. Thursday......well if I haven't spent all of my pension on ammo, one more trip to the range! Friday, explain how I was able to spend that much money in 4 short days! LOL! Oh well! :cool:

Reactions: RMD

·
Registered
188 Posts
I can definitely feel a difference when firing a 9mm (less recoil) but I don't gain enough accuracy to warrant defending myself with that wimpy little round. Give me snappy any day! :cool:
Noting wimpy about two , Gold Dots + P 124 gr in the heart and one the head with 9mms...

Just my two cents...

Reactions: RMD

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Noting wimpy about two , Gold Dots + P 124 gr in the heart and one the head with 9mms...

Just my two cents...
Believe me...that was worth a whole lot more than 2 cents...Rating of One million bucks, my friend...just ask anyone who's received a double tap center mass, followed by one to the head...let me know what their reply was... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts