Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 36 this weekend and took it out shooting it is shooting very high about 10 inches at 25 yards, had a friend shoot it same results awesome grouping under 3inches for us both just high, i am switching from a full size 1911 and he shoots the springfield xds. I called glock and the said to try the 6.1mm rear sight anyone else run into this?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I purchased a new 36 this weekend and took it out shooting it is shooting very high about 10 inches at 25 yards, had a friend shoot it same results awesome grouping under 3inches for us both just high, i am switching from a full size 1911 and he shoots the springfield xds. I called glock and the said to try the 6.1mm rear sight anyone else run into this?
Welcome to the forum.

What does it shoot like at shorter distances (5/7/10 yards)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did not try it closer figured it would be the same.i will try shorter this weekend.love the groups just not how far off the sights are.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
10 inches is a good bit at 25 yards I agree. As suggested above give it a try at 7 yards which is a good self defense distance. I do my practicing at that distance and then I try at longer distance remembering that a small handgun although it can be effective at longer distances is intended for relatively short range.

If it is off at all distances then a taller sight maybe in order. I find it strange that your G36 is off if it has stock Glock sights, mine is right on as is ArmyCobra1's G35. See my thread "45acp day at the Range" In the Glock Range Reports.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
what you need to do is use sand bags or a block of wood and towel to rest the gun on and then shoot 3 shot groups and mark (connect them) and this will tell you if it is the gun or the shooters. Could be the front sight might be the wrong height; they come in different heights. 2 thousands of an inch difference in the front sight will equal up to 5 inches at 25 years

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The 6.1 is standard for the G17L, but no other model. Weird that they would suggest that, although it would drop the POI by 5 inches or so.

What marking is on the side of the rear sight?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Someone correct if I am wrong but I think the rear sight is one height and only the front sight changes

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
10 inches is a good bit at 25 yards I agree. As suggested above give it a try at 7 yards which is a good self defense distance. I do my practicing at that distance and then I try at longer distance remembering that a small handgun although it can be effective at longer distances is intended for relatively short range.

If it is off at all distances then a taller sight maybe in order. I find it strange that your G36 is off if it has stock Glock sights, mine is right on as is ArmyCobra1's G35. See my thread "45acp day at the Range" In the Glock Range Reports.
What he said...^^^ ...
Never had that problem with my G36..

·
Registered
960 Posts
In my new 36, I was shooting low and to the right. Now that was 7 to 10 feet. Never got as far as 25 yards because I need to be proficient at close range before I go beyond that. I would go back to the range, set up some 7-10 yard targets and give that a try. I have found that when I practice at shorter distances and my groupings are better, then I will move on to a little longer range. Everything is different for different shooters. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
In Glock sights, it's the reverse - one front sight height & 3 different rear sight heights.
this is what I found:
REAR SIGHT HEIGHTS
GLOCK rear sights are available in four heights. The standard rear sight height for GLOCK pistols in 9x19, .40, .45 G.A.P., .357 and .380 calibers is 6.5mm (0.256in.); .45 and 10mm AUTO calibers 6.9mm (0.27in.). Rear sights are also available in heights of 6.1mm (0.24in.), 6.9mm (0.27in.) and 7.3mm (0.29in.). Every change of the rear sight height will result in a shift of the predicted position of approximately 50mm (1.97in.) over 25m (27yds.) firing distance.

reference : GLOCK

front sights:
SOME IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT GLOCK SIGHTS:
Factory Glocks tend to shoot anywhere from 2-4" high at 25 yards, usually necessitating the use of a 6 o'clock hold when shooting bullseye and other small targets. Keep in mind that if you lined up 20 Glocks, all of the same model and caliber, not every single one would shoot to the same point of impact with a given set of sights. Glock makes a number of different height rear sights to accommodate the inherent variations in points of impact. With this in mind, an aftermarket front/rear set with a standardized height for all models - such as the one we've been selling for a few years now - can only provide an approximate elevation setting for any particular gun.

The .215" height is the most commonly used of our front sight heights, and typically provides a point of impact from 0 to approximately 2" high at 25 yards. Results will vary with individual pistols. The .235" height front sight lowers point of impact approximately 2-3" at 25 yds from the .215" tall front sight, and the .250" height lowers the point of impact approximately 3.5-5" at 25 yds, depending on your model's sight radius. One inch of elevation change at 25 yards equates to approximately .007" of front sight height. We do not recommend sighting in your pistol at any distance closer than 25 yards, as the amount of possible error generated by sighting in at shorter distances will create issues when you shoot at longer ranges.
•Glock 17/22, 19/23, 21, and 26/27 sized guns, most common is .215" front.
•Glock 34/35, most commonly uses the .235" front.

reference : Glock Rear Sight - 10-8 Performance Store

added on: I read one place offers a .250 front sjght not listed here

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
this is what I found:
REAR SIGHT HEIGHTS
GLOCK rear sights are available in four heights. The standard rear sight height for GLOCK pistols in 9x19, .40, .45 G.A.P., .357 and .380 calibers is 6.5mm (0.256in.); .45 and 10mm AUTO calibers 6.9mm (0.27in.). Rear sights are also available in heights of 6.1mm (0.24in.), 6.9mm (0.27in.) and 7.3mm (0.29in.). Every change of the rear sight height will result in a shift of the predicted position of approximately 50mm (1.97in.) over 25m (27yds.) firing distance.

reference : GLOCK

front sights:
SOME IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT GLOCK SIGHTS:
Factory Glocks tend to shoot anywhere from 2-4" high at 25 yards, usually necessitating the use of a 6 o'clock hold when shooting bullseye and other small targets. Keep in mind that if you lined up 20 Glocks, all of the same model and caliber, not every single one would shoot to the same point of impact with a given set of sights. Glock makes a number of different height rear sights to accommodate the inherent variations in points of impact. With this in mind, an aftermarket front/rear set with a standardized height for all models - such as the one we've been selling for a few years now - can only provide an approximate elevation setting for any particular gun.

The .215" height is the most commonly used of our front sight heights, and typically provides a point of impact from 0 to approximately 2" high at 25 yards. Results will vary with individual pistols. The .235" height front sight lowers point of impact approximately 2-3" at 25 yds from the .215" tall front sight, and the .250" height lowers the point of impact approximately 3.5-5" at 25 yds, depending on your model's sight radius. One inch of elevation change at 25 yards equates to approximately .007" of front sight height. We do not recommend sighting in your pistol at any distance closer than 25 yards, as the amount of possible error generated by sighting in at shorter distances will create issues when you shoot at longer ranges.
•Glock 17/22, 19/23, 21, and 26/27 sized guns, most common is .215" front.
•Glock 34/35, most commonly uses the .235" front.

reference : Glock Rear Sight - 10-8 Performance Store

added on: I read one place offers a .250 front sjght not listed here
Yeah, I forgot about the 7.3 as it's not standard.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about the 7.3 as it's not standard.
are you refering to the .250? if so why are you calling it the 7.3 ?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Somebody on this Forum wasn't taught to "play nice" with the other kids!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
are you refering to the .250? if so why are you calling it the 7.3 ?
I had said Glock makes 3 rear sights and one front, but forgot about the 7.3 rear as it's not standard on any of their models.

I'm not referring to 3rd-party manufacturers as there are a bazillion different sizes for them :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I personally enjoy when they "hoot high!"

Reactions: RMD
1 - 20 of 26 Posts