Glock Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody! here's my story: until this past week, the only semi-auto pistol i had ever fired was a ruger .22 i owned yrs ago. i have lots of experience (non-expert exprience, that is) with revolvers. on my job for the past 15 yrs, i have carried a S&W 686. when i was a correctional officer yrs ago, for duty outside the prison, we had rugers chambered for .38 sp. i loved those rugers we used to carry - if you ran out of bullets, it would make an excellent club cause it was solid as an anvil. i'm going to watch around and buy one of those someday.

then i was a unit armorer for an aviation national guard unit and we had revolvers for the pilots: rugers, S&W "airweights" and some very disapointing colts - everybody hated those colts cause they didn't work well. before i knew any better, once i issued one of those colts to the CO because it was really light and i thought he would appreciate it. and he got to the firing range with it and it acted up. and that was the last time i sent him a colt! (and i realize lots of folks like colts - it might just be that these we had were worn out. or maybe it was a case of having a really dumb armorer, cause i sure as heck didn't know what i was doing)

so this past week we turned in our 686's and drew a glock 22 in .40. (see my ignorance: are all glock 22's chambered for .40? if it's the same pistol chambered for .45, does the model designation change?) then we were on the range getting trained and then qualifying. what i saw on the range these 2 and a half days really impressed me. 1st, of 20 of us, 16 qualified the 1st time through the course - if you knew what a bunch of old dweebs we are, you'd know how impressive that is!

the next thing that impressed me was that out of however many rounds we all fired, (i guess in the 10,000's) i did not see one single malfunction! as a matter of fact i remember one of the instructors telling us something like "go ahead and break this weapon! i WANT to see you tear this gun up!" well, we weren't able to break it. or cause it to malfunction either.

the next thing was when i got home and went to clean the glock. i know i fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 rds (of american eagle) and expected a black mess of burnt powder that would taken an hour to remove. that's what the 686 would have been. but it was nowhere near what i thought it would be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So now, i'm fired up to get into shooting this gun. looking forward to getting a couple of boxes of ammo and going out to the farm on my days off and knock down some cans or something.

but what i'm really wanting to find out about is possibly shooting competitively. i totally enjoyed shooting this weapon and wouldn't mind getting good at it. i don't think i have some innate talent for shooting, i just like doing it.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I like first impression story’s; they are like a kid falling in love for the first time. The aww and wonder is what it’s all about. You will find many a hard core Glock fans here, some own one gun and other as many as 7-8. once you own one they grow on you and the design changes just a little for different calibers. As you shoot and read different things you will get more familiar with them and there simplicity; the simplicity and reliability that makes them a great gun. A gun you will bet your life on.

Glock’s started out in the 17's and go into the 36's and range for full size to subcompact with compact in the middle. Sounds weird but I think they came out with a compact from the full size and then introduced the subcompact (baby Glock’s ) that have been a massive market winner with millions of sales. To answer your question on size it’s easier to show you a chart that explains the different models and welcome5.jpg

Full Line of Pistols | GLOCK USA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the link, BSG! the G 35 has my attention.

when i paged down and saw the training models, i realized i have lied, i have indeed shot a glock before - and have been shot with a glock also, at least 7 times! now, how many here can say that!

about 5 yrs ago, the Ky State Police took a bunch of us creaky old security guards out and gave us some training on car stops. it was very enlightening - it is very easy to get shot by someone sitting in a car. we had the glock training models loaded with paintball ammo. and when i went home, i had at least 7 red splotches on my clothes, 3 or 4 of them on my butt. easy to get shot in the posterior if you're running away.

and once again, i remember that there were very few malfunctions, if any, with the paintball ammo.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome from Alabama! :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and to the Glock family.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the site, Mark! I'm here in the Bluegrass, started my "career" with semi-auto pistols with a Ruger Mark II, sold it, bought a Ruger Mark III Hunter a few years back. Bought my first Glock this fall; my wife bought a Ruger SR9c. While I really like the Ruger, I don't think anything can beat the Glock.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Welcome to the community from NW Florida!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts