Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have read a couple posts/articles on Glock frame colors. More specifically the new FDE exclusive from Lipsey's distributors, and several comments have stated that beginning this month Glock will begin offering numerous color frames for wide release. Anyone heard or seen anything on the truth of this, colors etc? I just picked up a G23 Gen 4 with FDE frame, but have seen several photos of Glocks with a dark grey cerakote frame that looks pretty cool. I would prefer the polymer to actually be the color and not just a coating over it. I know I know color doesn't make them more functional but a little vanity in moderation isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Havent heard anything about colors, forum member rowabi would be the one to ask. i am sure he will be along soon. I would like to have one in OD or the sand color, but then my wife wouild know I have a new one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the feeling. Bought a 23 FDE this past Saturday and mentioned would like to get a companion 19 soon. You should have seen the eye roll.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Havent heard anything about colors, forum member rowabi would be the one to ask. i am sure he will be along soon. I would like to have one in OD or the sand color, but then my wife wouild know I have a new one.
I have been assured that the special runs of color frames by Glock are due to the injection molding, and not colored later...I believe that includes the ones by Lindseys, but I couldn't speak to other dealers/distributors/individuals, and whatever special processes they use...outside of this, buyer beware...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya on the buyer beware part. Why i am interested if there is any truth to Factory Glock colors coming soon besides the Lipsey's. The 23FDE (not sure if from Lipsey's or not) I just bought is the actual polymer and not a coating. Just thought the pics I have seen with dark grey frame coating looked cool, but would prefer it to be colored during the injection molding and not a coating. BTW I know Glock did OD green in the past but the few used ones I have seen for sell the owners were a little to proud/delusional in my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Example of too proud I was at a gun show couple of weeks ago Gentlemen had a G19 Gen 4 FDE with I believe a Unimax under barrel laser. Asking price if I remember correctly was approx a grand. Pretty sure was red dot laser which is much cheaper than a green dot.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
dre23, the Glock rep told me that Lipseys is the only distributor they are using, and that FDE is all they are currently offering in color, as she said the OD is obsolete. Sounds like if it comes from Lipseys, and if you like FDE, you're good to go...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
the way i understand the color thing is yes it is in the molding process. i talked to glock about there o. d. guns a year or so ago and they said some came out green and some came out beige-ish to brown color. but they were all called o. d. green. there are certain companies out there lipsey's, talo, lew horton, etc that go to the gun manufacturers and have them make special guns as an exclusive just for them. prime example of this , if you go to ruger's website and look under there models they have a catagory called distributors exclusives. that's where you see a lot these different guns.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Maybe San Francisco PD should have a pink batch Molded up ;)
Hey, don't get something started...I'm trying to slow down on my gun buying...Pink Glocks?? I'd have to have one...And just for clarification purposes, it would be for my daughter...:) She has to have everything pink..tried to buy her a red dot sight for her pink rifle, and she didn't want it 'cause the housing wasn't pink...lol..oh well, what's a dad to do? I'm loving it, though...no complaints here. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try to upload some pics when I get a chance. Have not yet picked the gun up. For some reason have yet to get my CCW for Florida and without mandatory 3 business day wait. Yesterday was the earliest pick- up day and I left work late.
Pictures?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
the way i understand the color thing is yes it is in the molding process. i talked to glock about there o. d. guns a year or so ago and they said some came out green and some came out beige-ish to brown color. but they were all called o. d. green. there are certain companies out there lipsey's, talo, lew horton, etc that go to the gun manufacturers and have them make special guns as an exclusive just for them. prime example of this , if you go to ruger's website and look under there models they have a catagory called distributors exclusives. that's where you see a lot these different guns.
You're exactly right, 1jimmy...And as of yesterday, a Glock rep informed me that Lipsey's is the only distributor they're currently using, and only offering them pistols in FDE...It would be nice to see more color selection, but at better than a half million guns behind in production, we're probably lucky to see that one option, lol

·
Banned
966 Posts
What do they use to coat the slide? I know they use some "tenifer" process on the metal, and then it gets some kind of flat-black treatment. What is it? Paint? It's like a pearl finish of some sort.

And also, what makes the barrel black? Some sort of processing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts