Glock Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing this pistol and was wondering how much recoil to expect. if any one has and has shot this pistol, please give my your advice.
Thanks,
Bob Merritt

I am new here and tried to reply on new peoples, but could not.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Forum ! As far as recoil goes, that is a very subjective matter. For instance, I have two 10MM Glocks and although they have a stout recoil it is not unpleasant to me. However, I sold my G22, G23 and G27 because I did not like the snappy recoil of the 40 cal. By snappy i mean that to me the 40 cal has more upward recoil than other calibers. To me my 10MM, 357 Auto and 45 acp have more push back recoil than upward recoil.

As I said this is a ver subjective matter and what is pleasant or acceptable to me may not be to others. Some ranges rent handguns, I would suggest that you try one before buying. The G22 is used a lot by law enforcement.

I do not want to start a caliber war, only stating my opinion. I would hesitate to state the above on some other Firearm Forums but the members here are friendly and not into sarcasm they will state their opinion politely.

Reactions: RMD

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am thinking of purchasing this pistol and was wondering how much recoil to expect. if any one has and has shot this pistol, please give my your advice.
Thanks,
Bob Merritt

I am new here and tried to reply on new peoples, but could not.
Welcome!

It'll be less snappy than a gen3, but I strongly suggest renting or borrowing and seeing for yourself before purchasing. Felt recoil is very subjective and what some people find very uncomfortable, others hardly feel at all.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
welcome to the forum Bob. Like Tex said it a subjective issue. I have only .40 Glocks and I can tell you that the recoil on a 22 compared to a 23 or 27 is much more manageable due to the weight and length. .40's will be snappier than a 9mm but like RMD says rent one at a local range first if you really need to know how it feels before you buy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought that same model. I put 150 rounds through it last Friday and would have to agree about the snappy recoil. I am not a small guy and I had quit abit of upward recoil. I shoot a friends Springfield 40 a few weeks ago and I would rather shoot my Glock.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I'm not the biggest fan of .40 but have a gen4 G22 and 23. They are only .40 caliber guns I own. Recoil is not too bad but more than 9mm. For new shooters I always recommend a 9mm to start with or even better a .22; it will save you some bad shooting habits later on (flinching etc). Best bet is to try it out before you buy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe that I will get a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm. This will allow me to get more range time as it is cheaper to shoot. But I will have it as a 40 for my home defense solution.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks,
Bob Merritt
Lots of good advice here from others. I like my G17 in 9mm and G21sf in 45ACP. I find both of these easier to control than 40 cal as it is snappy but nothing that could not be overcome. Keep in mind that 9mm ammo costs are far less than 40 so you would be able to shoot more if cost is an issue.
As mentioned, you sort of have to try them all and see what you like. There is nothing wrong with 9mm for defense with the new expanding ammo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts