Glock Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some hard core Glock fans here that have lots of different Glock models and generations but I'm curious as to how many of you ALSO have a 1911 or other classic all steel pistol. I love my G17 but there are other pistols I want to own as well (as opposed to getting a different Glock for each day of the week...no offense). In particular, I really want a quality 1911 in .45 and if I get another 9mm perhaps a Sig P226 or a CZ 75. How many of you feel the same way or does your pistol have to be polymer and be routed through Smyrna :) ?

BTW...I don't currently EDC although I might get to that this next year and if so I wouldn't hesitate to get a G19 or G26. My G17 is my HD and range gun.... when I'm not shooting long guns that is.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I don't have any Glocks, although I did have three. All but one was good, and the reason I went to the 1911 was that I just wasn't comfortable with the double stack feel. I think Glock is an excellent pistol, however. Now, I have two 1911's, a Springfield and a Colt.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have experience with each. What didn't go bang in the Glock went bang in the 1911. To say one is better than the other is to say an old muscle car is better that a plastic car made today. Each has their own merits.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I can appreciate a quality 1911, I just prefer to stick to one platform and not switch between two very different handguns. Not to mention Glocks are cheaper, lighter, more dependable, less maintenance, hold more ammo, etc.

Reactions: Glockcat

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have all the Glocks I want and only edc a Glock. However I do have a 1911 and plan on adding a Browning hi power after the first of the year. I am looking to add firearms that have some historical importance to hand down to my two sons when the time comes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I own several 1911's including Colt, Ruger, Smith and Rock Island. I haven't owned a 1911 that I didn't like. I love my 1911's and will not part with them. I shot my first Glock back in June and I now own three Glocks. With that being said, I have now switched to a Glock 19 Gen 4 for EDC. Each have their purpose but for me the Glock is by far more comfortable to carry all day and 9mm is by far a lot cheaper when it comes to buying ammo.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I know there are some hard core Glock fans here that have lots of different Glock models and generations but I'm curious as to how many of you ALSO have a 1911 or other classic all steel pistol.
Only steel I'll carry is my little J-Frame. And as much as I admire Mr. Browning I only admire the .45 acp round not the 1911 style handgun.
And I'm no Glock snob. I just can't get pass the ridiculous field stripping and that stupid grip safety. (which was never a Browning design by the way)

Yeah it's all nostalgic, but I don't own guns to keep in a safe or brag about.
I keep two guns and that's it and I carry both. Right now I'm down to one as I am shopping for another one and got rid of one to finance it.
Glocks just work, easy maintenance and everything is available from mags to whatever all over the world on the cheap. That's what happens when you control 65% of the worlds handgun market.

But to each their own and if you enjoy it go for it. A 1911 is hard to beat for those 'classic lines'.
And no other platform has been proven so much.

It's too bad that some of the manufactures have cheapen the story by offering them in other calibers beyond it's origins.
But the style sells and like a lot of things it's come back into fashion as they say.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Get and enjoy whatever YOU LIKE and shoot well, I only have GLOCK pistols and that's because they work for me I love them. But I would not hesitate to go with something else. I do not and never have ownd a revolver and I have been wanting one for some time now. I believe that most likely will be my next firearm purchase. I think it's part of the sport to get a variety of weapons..... Just my opinion.......

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
my Wife and I have 6 glocks (.380/9mm/.40, w/a double g19, a couple w/RDSs)- very nice pistols

we also have 1911 (9mm, .45) and quasi 1911s in .380, 9mm (sig 238 & 938) plus a coonan classic in .357mag and a Browning HiPower in 9mm (we carry the sigs - glocks in truck center consoles and nightstand duty)

then there's a few revolvers

anyone who says "glocks only" or ".45cal only" is silly, uninformed or simply can't afford anything else - and that's too bad, 'cause they're missing the joy of firearm ownership

my Coonan .357mag is my favorite to shoot - my favorite pistol owned is my GI No Name

·
Registered
422 Posts
I own Glock, Sig, and a Kahr. Love them all. Next purchase will probably be a .45 XDS. I don't discriminate! Ha-ha. Like them all, but Glocks are just extra special to me I suppose. I don't have any 1911's, but I may get one someday...

·
Registered
874 Posts
I guess I was a 1911 pattern, 'die-hard aficionado' for (What?) the first 50 years of my life. I've owned 7 or 8 of them; and every one a real beauty, too! Today, however, I'm finally ready to admit that single stack 45 ACP pistols are history - Things of the past! The other thing I've noticed is that if I wanted to duplicate one of my earlier Colt Mark IV's or Gold Cups it would cost me between 10 and 12 times what I originally paid for my first 1911's. That's just plain nutz!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I carry a G17 for duty.....excellent polymer pistol and I love it. Contemplating getting my own so I can improve the trigger, etc.

I have a SIG 1911 .45 Carry model with rail. I love it.....carry it off duty almost every day. I have some other pistols that get carried as well.......I'm carrying something everyday, just not the same one.

Though I love the Glock, the grip is nowhere as ergonomic as some other pistols, such as the M&P 40 I have. Having said that, I have no problems shooting it accurately, and it has been 100% dependable. Only thing on the Glock that needs work, compared to a nice 1911, is the trigger.

:)

Sent via phone

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
..The other thing I've noticed is that..it would cost me between 10 and 12 times what I originally paid..
yeah but, yeah but.....I just sold a home for the same "times" over what I paid for my 1st home - used to buy boxed Mac and Cheese for $0.11 in the early '60s and I paid $0.19 per gallon for gasoline when I drove from n.y. to kalifornia in '62

these are different times and, yep, I'll agree, "just plain nutz"

the .45acp 1911 "history" - naw (and neither are Mac & Cheese nor gasoline)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I guess I like 'em all--or at least most of them. Seems I have always had at least one, sometimes two, 1911 style pistol. The one I currently have is a Kimber, stainless, 4" with slightly smaller grip, sometimes carry this one. Also have 2 Glocks, 3 H&Ks, 3 Sigs, 1 Ruger .22 and a shitload of revolvers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. Sounds like many of you feel the same way I do. I'm very happy with my G17 and it is ridiculously easy to maintain but I just want to experience (actually own) a 1911 in .45 if nothing more than to admire it's beauty and have fun with it at the range. I've shot a few 1911's that friends had and for whatever reason I am particularly accurate shooting that pistol. Now...to find the right one :)

1 - 20 of 106 Posts