Glock Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
@Big1,

They make a good 1911, I do like their Mil-spec model. I like those better because of a shorter and different contour of the beaver-tail.
For the money though I've heard the Ruger SR1911 though is a fine pistol. And the Remington R1 gets good reviews for the money.
Nice thing about the Ruger is it is 100% full on American made. The Rem claims this, that or the other but who really knows right.

The Springfield Armory is only American in name.
If I ever went to a 1911 it would have to be 'genuine American' anything else would be sacrilegious.

·
Registered
789 Posts
@ JWR, I went on base today and held the Ruger SR1911 Commander and man I really love that one, I can get it for $730 out the door.

Reactions: JWR

·
Registered
34 Posts
@ JWR, I went on base today and held the Ruger SR1911 Commander and man I really love that one, I can get it for $730 out the door.
G41 is a C-note less and holds 14 total rds and is about 3oz lighter than a milspec steel 1911, unloaded. Something else with the G41 is it doesn't have the out of the box 'battering' that the 1911's you speak of do. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I once owned a Colt Officer's 1911 .45 pistol...great shooter...just a mite heavy for EDC! I purchased my first Glock, a Gen III G-23 on 9/11 and had it for about a year...traded it on the Officer's model...liked that! Ended up trading it even up for a G-32 in .357SIG...and have stuck with Glocks ever since...having owned 15 of them over the past 10+ years.

That being said...I would like to build a Fusion Firearms kit to have a 1911 around...and work on some Cerakote as well! My wife wants a 1911 in 9mm so maybe that'll be the first build???

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like and own BOTH 1911`s AND glock`s. Both have their place, but its apples an oranges. I love shooting my 1911`s, but to dang heavy for EDC, so thats where the glocks come in it for me. Lighter for EDC, and you cant deny that the load capacity is far greater with the glock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I picked up the new EMP 4 from Springfield. 4" in 9mm. Great shooter and nicely finished. Came with 3 - 10 round magazines, a holster and a dual mag carrier all in the box. My first 1911 and liking it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I picked up the new EMP 4 from Springfield. 4" in 9mm. Great shooter and nicely finished. Came with 3 - 10 round magazines, a holster and a dual mag carrier all in the box. My first 1911 and liking it.
Nice looking pistol that Springer EMP4 but my 1911 absolutely must be chambered in .45.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
but my 1911 absolutely must be chambered in .45.
Absolutely !
That's as bad as shooting a 9mm out of a revolver. To each to their own but in either case would never happen with me.
A .38 Super would be alright cause it was design for the 1911 and I could do a .45 acp out of a revolver cause they where actually built back in the day, but I don't like using moon clips and only one co. make a revolver that doesn't use them in a .45. (unfortunately not a co. I trust)

Nothing is sacred anymore in the world and especially in America. To many things trying to be reinvented that don't need reinventing.
And if I'm willing to carry around 32-39 oz of mental it sure won't be holding 9mm.
Fat is the new beautiful. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run a Kimber Pro Raptor II when I'm feeling fancy. It's sexy and shoots great. There's a reason the pistol hasn't changed in 105 years. I hear people bitch about the low capacity a lot. But honestly, how many rounds of .45 does it really take to stove someone's chest in if need be?

Besides. Like I was always taught in the army...when you think you have enough ammo in your kit for the mission, double it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One Glock, one LCR .38 and one LC9s Pro which is on its way out.
Six six guns, one .45 1911 and one CZ 75B.
Polymer to carry, the others to shoot.
There's no striker I've experienced that can match the trigger of a properly prepared wheel gun or hammer'd semi.

My $0.02

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own 2 glocks ;a27 and a 19 and i have a 357 sig barrel and a 9mm barrel for the 27 . I also own colt,Dan Wesson 1911's and S and W revolvers and Colt revolvers and other brands too. You can't own too many guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
had bothand like both so felt the Glocks gave you more reliabilty and not have to worry about stratching a purty gun. Glocks are cheaper and lighter by a long shot while offering more rounds without reloads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I shoot 1911s the best, but I carry and train with a G17 or a G22. Different platforms can cause confusion for self defensive purposes. When the stress hits the fan, trying to remember how to operate a certain gun, or having a ND would not be a good experience.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I carried the same 1911 in the service for almost six years, My first six months or so were training. I had to attend the range (REQUIRED) once a month unless on assignment. I actually went to the range often because I liked shooting and it cost me nothing.
By the time I had to turn in that 45 it must have had at least 10 to 15,000 rounds through it and was as tight and functional as when it was assigned to me.
I don't every remember a single failure to fire with that gun.
I went through a few holsters in those years but my 1911 45 never needed anything but cleaning.
If I could afford to shoot 45 ammo, I probably would get a 1911, but I can't so I got my Glock 19 to shoot and my Glock 43 to shoot and carry.
I still love the 1911 45 automatic and anybody that has ever shot one probably loves them too.
Ronnie

61 - 80 of 111 Posts