Glock Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago I had a Gen2 Glock 23C. I kept it for years using it as my concealed carry piece and as my go to gun for speed shooting in competition. For years a friend bugged me about buying it. Finally one day he offered me a lot more than I had invested in it so I sold it. It was a huge mistake. Although I had a Les Baer 45 for competition and plenty of other guns to choose from for concealed carry I always missed that 23C. Not long ago I was at a gun show and among the Glocks on one dealers table was a Gen3 23C. I just couldn't resist.

Unlike my previous Glock this one is going to stay pretty close to stock. I have a much higher chance than in the past because of my career choice of actually using it in a self defense situation so I've decided I don't want to have to take a chance of having to explain in court any trigger modifications. Plus I've been carrying an unmodified 17 on duty long enough that I've grown accustomed to the factory trigger and feel I can shoot it as fast as I can a modified one. The only mods are a Glock extended mag release, Trijicon night sites (I have a lot of experience with that particular brand and have always had good service life out of them), and some Tango Down tactical floor plates. You can find them on their web site...
TangoDown
I've always thought Glock should have put indents on the sides of their mags to make changing them out quicker. I used to use weighted baseplates but frankly like the gun enough as is now not to want to add a significant amount of weight. I wouldn't automatically recommend these for everyone though as they stick out a significant amount on the sides.

For me they are perfect. If I was allowed I'd even add them to my duty mags.

So finally I have my favorite carry piece back and just the way I want it. I've amassed about 600 rounds of practice ammo and 300 rounds of carry. Now all I need to do is set my Dillon press back up and I can start having some high volume fun with it. :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Congrats on the G23 C ! I am not a fan of 40 cal but the cut outs should negate the muzzle flip a lot. I sold mine because of the 'snappy' recoil, but I would like to try the compensated model.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It looks good. I think my next one will be a compensated model. I like the floor plates too. I've never see them. I don't have a great problem with the sticking problem since the mag re-design they went through. I remember the Gen2 used to stick all the time. I like having the option to get a good grip to rip out the mag if need be.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the G23 C ! I am not a fan of 40 cal but the cut outs should negate the muzzle flip a lot. I sold mine because of the 'snappy' recoil, but I would like to try the compensated model.
I compare it to a none compensated G19 myself. With full power 40 caliber ammo (180 grain jhp at 1025 fps) it has less muzzle rise than my duty Glock 17 using Winchester T-Series +P+ ammo. About the same to me as the same Glock 17 using standard velocity 9mm.

It looks good. I think my next one will be a compensated model. I like the floor plates too. I've never see them. I don't have a great problem with the sticking problem since the mag re-design they went through. I remember the Gen2 used to stick all the time. I like having the option to get a good grip to rip out the mag if need be.
I need to compare as I have both gen3 and gen4 mags for my 23C. I've only used the gen3 so far. Even on my gen4 Glock 17 though they just don't come out as fast as I'd like during a speed reload. I just have gotten used to shaking them out (which still doesn't get them out as fast as I'd like always) while I grab a spare mag. I'd prefer to rip them out easily if there ever was a problem though.

Nice gun...
Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Congrat's on the G-23C...nice-looking pistol!

I had owned several Glock pistols, up until May / June 2009, when I lost both of my jobs within 5 days of each other (economy and school closing). We sold nearly everything we owned, except for 2 Ruger SP101's (mine and wife's) just to stay on top of things. It took us nearly 2 years to get back on our feet after I found a job. We were lucky and found a Gen II G-19 for my wife that was NIB and, after searching around, found a Gen II G-23, also NIB, for myself! We consider ourselves blessed for finding those two older pistols...we love those Gen II Glocks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrat's on the G-23C...nice-looking pistol!

I had owned several Glock pistols, up until May / June 2009, when I lost both of my jobs within 5 days of each other (economy and school closing). We sold nearly everything we owned, except for 2 Ruger SP101's (mine and wife's) just to stay on top of things. It took us nearly 2 years to get back on our feet after I found a job. We were lucky and found a Gen II G-19 for my wife that was NIB and, after searching around, found a Gen II G-23, also NIB, for myself! We consider ourselves blessed for finding those two older pistols...we love those Gen II Glocks!
1. I was lucky when I lost my job to Clintonomics as I knew it was coming years ahead of time. I was able to prepare for second career well ahead of time. I feel your pain though as sacrifices had to be made on my side.
2. The worse mistake I've ever made in selling a gun was selling my Gen2 model 23C. I call it a 23C but it was also a 23 as I had both slide assemblies. Back then you could buy them pretty cheap from Glock along with 3.5 pound connectors which seem to have disappeared.
3. Glad you are back where you want to be. I'm at peace where I am also. It ended up being a good change for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm digging the baseplates too.............. I must have for my G23... Glad to see your up and on your feet. It sucks selling guns you don't want to part with. Always a regret!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DUDE! I like, whered you get those baseplates? you have a link? I LOVE em!!
You can but them here----> TangoDown
I bought mine from Cheaper Than Dirt since I was ordering ammo anyway here ----> 2-TDVTMFP-001 - TangoDown Vickers GLOCK Tactical Magazine Floor Plates Polymer Black

The price seems kind of high until you realize that is actually 5 baseplates. :)

I'm digging the baseplates too.............. I must have for my G23... Glad to see your up and on your feet. It sucks selling guns you don't want to part with. Always a regret!
Thanks. I'm set to return to work Friday but feel good enough today I may go to the range.
It always sucks selling guns but it's good to know that they are as good as cash (and always will be) if taken care of. In fact they often will go up in value if kept long enough. Sort of makes it easy to justify buying what I want in my mind since I know they hold value so well. (My gun addiction speaking.) :D

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
".....Sort of makes it easy to justify buying what I want in my mind since I know they hold value so well. (My gun addiction speaking.) :D[/QUOTE]..."

There are worse addictions...lol :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True rowabi. My others have been...
1. Cars.
2. Nikon lenses.
3. Women.

1-2 has had good resale so I've never really lost much in money. 3 has had very poor resale value over the years. A money pit to say the least. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts