Glock Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The approaching firearm debate faced by the next Congress and president (elected or re-elected), is legislation authorizing a person to carry a concealed handgun in any state in accordance with the restrictions of that state if they could possess or receive a firearm under federal law and they have a valid license or permit to carry from any state. The National Reciprocity act, (H.R. 822) overwhelmingly passed the current House of Representatives by 272 to 154 with forty-three Democrats joining 229 Republicans last November. It has majority support in the Senate, but not quite enough for a cloture vote and has been held up till after this election.

I am not bringing up politics but I thought this would interest some

Richard Feldman: Gun Laws/Concealed Carry -- Where Do Obama and Romney Stand?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have no doubt in my mind that Obama, if he *could*, would eliminate private ownership of firearms.

I go back and forth on the bill you mention, but I know which of the two candidates is more supportive of the 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It the conservatives make a run of it and take everything in November H.R. 822 will no doubt be passed. However, if we don't win back the Senate it will not even if Romney takes the POTUS slot

on the other hand maybe we will win some blue dog dems support from the Senate when they don't have Obama to answer too.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it would be nice to see a national ccw permit for all 50 states and laws like Texas that are clear and easy to understand but IF we can at least get H.R. 822 passed it would be a step in the right direction. The fight then would be states like N.J. and New York and all of them control freaks like Bloomberg that think we need someone to tell us what is good for us

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
New Yorkers and New Jerseyers would just move into PA or CT and commute. That way they could CC under HR822 into their work states. It would be a great boost for PA and CT housing and econemy

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i think the problem now is getting each state to agree on what is acceptable to them.
from what I understand of H.R.822 it would work is that the level of requirements fall to the resident's issuing state. These become the minimum standard that all other states would have to accept. Live in PA and obtained a CCP then NY would have no option but to honor it within the NY City limits. The States would have no say as it would be federal law

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Where H.R. 822 differs from H.R. 218 that I have seen so far is that H.R. 218 says there are no restrictions on ammunition type that can be carried except that it can't be anything that is federally banned. So if I decide to carry a type of round into state where they prohibit the possession of and have defined it as illegal, there is no recourse for them to take against me. However the same situation for H.R. 822 would land the person in jail for the night. So I would say the law still needs tweaking a bit. Hopefully they will do that before it's passed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts