Glock Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just recently lost my Step-Dad to a motorcycle hit and run accident in December and he left me a Glock 37 and a Glock 38.

I had a few legal questions to ask being that I am unsure of a few things when it comes to the laws. I will start by saying I got into trouble as a teen. (Wrong place at the wrong time.) I was given a felony charge but my adjudication was withheld and I also completed my probation without any violations so I AM NOT a convicted felon.

With that being said my questions are as follows:

1. Can I legally own and possess the weapons given to me by my Step-Dad?
2. Can I shoot at a range without being hassled? (I.E. Are they going to need all the information from my case?)
3. Can I buy a weapon from a store / private party without a hassle?

The reason I am worried is because I have been in trouble before and I don't want to be there again. Any information would be greatly appreciated and I would love to hear from you guys.

Thanks, Russ.

LOCATED IN POLK COUNTY, FL - If that is of any use. (As for the laws.)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
In Colorado we have the Colorado Bureau of investigation that does background checks along with the federal check. I have heard of people contacting them about being denied for a gun purchase, to find out why. If you have that in Florida you may want to contact them to see if the trouble you were in would prevent you from owning a Handgun. It would be better to find out now than later. Sorry if that does not help, maybe some Florida members can provide more info.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Welcome Russ and sorry for your loss.

I agree with KJ, if I remember correctly you have to be cleared through FDLE on any new purchases before they are released, so your best bet would be to contact the department that does the background clearing and ask then to check for you. They will be the ones to deny or grant so it's best to go to them to be sure. FL Gun Laws

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I agree with ZombieKiller, a phone call could clear up the matter. And welcome to the Forum !

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome from Lake county, FL. I have a buddy in the same situation. His trial was a little more recent and I believe it is 7 or 10 years after the release (case closed) date it is cleared and you may then own firearms. I would just call the court house and get some clarification on this, because im not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one night.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Russ...and welcome to the forum...The above suggestions sound right to me as well...ask some questions ahead of time, and save yourself some grief...It may already be cleared...better to know...Good luck...!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry for your loss, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
655 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts