Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my glock 17 gen 4 about 5 months ago I couldn't hit s**t when i first got it, still cant hit anything i swear my grouping is terrible. Life time rifle shooting can hit a 3 inch grouping with almost any rifle at 100 yards, my glock at 10 yards couldn't hit a pop can without correcting my shot over and over. I've watched a million how to videos stance, grip, line of sight and i have my concealed weapons permit with the instructor gave some more hints how to shoot better. In the five months I've shot probably about 2000 rounds. I seen some LoS pictures how to aim 6 o'clock and all I've tried that. Put your pad on the trigger, hold the gun right all the basics I've got but i cant figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have the stock sights.

Say at 50 yards with a 22 you put the target on top of the T with a pistol at 10 yards i assume you put the T right on the target? I swear when i do i shoot high i put the target on top of the T i shoot low i aim above it I hit the can. I cant figure it out. I'm i just making that big of difference in stance or aiming each shot?

Any tips or where i should aim at different distances? Or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks i bet there a million threads on here about similar subjects, advice or maybe a link to a similar thread would be great. Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too am new to this. Same deal as you. Any long gun and I'M good to go. My problem was/is shooting left. Groups are OK but not hitting the bull. Got some good advice from these guys. First I had to believe it was me and not the gun, I did this by shooting off a rest. With the rest I had all good shots, without, left left left. For me it was 30% sight picture and 70% trigger control. Although I've watched all the vids and still do, you will get some very good advice from these guys I'm sure.
Be sure to shoot enough rounds to get comfortable during your range sessions. and follow through with the trigger squeeze.
Still new but getting better

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I would suggest letting someone else try the Glock and also try shooting off a sandbag or similar rest. If it is still off, call Glock.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Like these guys said, eliminate the pistol by shooting from rest and using decent ammo. Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I would suggest letting someone else try the Glock and also try shooting off a sandbag or similar rest. If it is still off, call Glock.
Good advice...also, try shooting another Glock...you might pick up a pattern here, and Glock may just not be the most natural pistol for you. This can be overcome if it's the gun, and even if it's the shooter. Have you shot other pistols better, or is this your first handgun experience...? You may need to try some other types of guns and see if there is one more naturally suited... Keep us posted...

·
Registered
960 Posts
I got my glock 17 gen 4 about 5 months ago I couldn't hit s**t when i first got it, still cant hit anything i swear my grouping is terrible. Life time rifle shooting can hit a 3 inch grouping with almost any rifle at 100 yards, my glock at 10 yards couldn't hit a pop can without correcting my shot over and over. I've watched a million how to videos stance, grip, line of sight and i have my concealed weapons permit with the instructor gave some more hints how to shoot better. In the five months I've shot probably about 2000 rounds. I seen some LoS pictures how to aim 6 o'clock and all I've tried that. Put your pad on the trigger, hold the gun right all the basics I've got but i cant figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I have the stock sights.

Say at 50 yards with a 22 you put the target on top of the T with a pistol at 10 yards i assume you put the T right on the target? I swear when i do i shoot high i put the target on top of the T i shoot low i aim above it I hit the can. I cant figure it out. I'm i just making that big of difference in stance or aiming each shot?

Any tips or where i should aim at different distances? Or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks i bet there a million threads on here about similar subjects, advice or maybe a link to a similar thread would be great. Thanks again.
Just curious, have you tried shooting with both eyes open? I trained myself to do this and improved my grouping and accuracy! Now that's the only way I shoot. When I first got my Glock, I found that I was always shooting left and with some help from an ex VICE squad officer that instructs at my favorite range, I hit on target and grouping is much tighter. Also breathing, finger technique both may have an effect on the grouping. Of course, that's just what works for me. Everyone is different! Good Luck!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
having a good solid grip and not letting the gun get sloppy in your hand could be one thing and (don't get mad) anticipating recoil is another but here is a vid that might help.

Edit: one thing to think about it breathing and the effects on point of aim; when you breath it will make your chest expand thus moving your arms-affecting your aim. Take a deep breath and let half out and hold it before shooting. This might help in the aiming process

[video=youtube;L880L-uM5WQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L880L-uM5WQ&list=PL631FBA4D8819D469&index=29&feature=plpp_video[/video]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all the advice. I think I'm gonna head out to the range tomorrow and try some different things suggested here, definitely shoot off a bench see how i do. I've been trying to shoot with both eyes open, heard it helped but just hard habit to keep (focus on the front sight and the target) or I was told. Don't have any one else's glock to shoot but i have shot other pistols but didn't pay attention to the grouping though.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, let you all know thanks again.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum...Good luck, give us a range report

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
take a towel and a block of wood and support the gun muzzle on the block/towel and you will know right away what it is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts