Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going guys? I finally gave in and bought myself my very first glock. A glock 19 generation 3 brand new. Anyway, before i go to shoot it for the first time, i have some questions and concerns.... When i initally brought it home today, i was eyeing it over and than i decided to quickly field-strip it. I did make sure that the recoil spring was all they way down in the "half moon" portion of the barrel, i reassembled and than dry fired it to confirm its function, when I took it apart again, the recoil spring was not in the half moon portion anymore, it was barely hanging on to that lip above it? I did this a few times with the same outcome. Is this normal for a brand new glock??

Before I shoot it for the first time tomorrow, i know every gun needs to be cleaned and lubed before its initial firing, should i put a little bit of oil over the factory copper grease that came from the factory in the rails? Or just not touch it at all and keep the grease in there without any oil???? And than when I do clean it after her first firing session, do i continue to leave the grease on the rails with out any oil? Or put some oil over the grease? Thanks for all the help and wisdom folks. - Ricky

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could anyone of you fellas tell me if these little burrs in the plastic towards the front of my glock should be of any concern? Sorry for being anal and thanks again for the help guys! glock frame.jpg

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had noticed that about the recoil spring on my gen3 G21 when I first bought it. I racked the slide a few times empty to ensure that it wasnt going anywhere but when I would take the slide off it would occasionally fall out in my hand rather than having to remove it. I believe once the slide is coming off I was just bumping it on the frame or un-seating it with my hand. Regardless, when I did ensure that it was put back together in the correct position it took 250 rounds through it no problems. I did not oil/lube/clean what so ever prior to shooting. (I did purchase the gun NIB not used) Glocks are good to go right out of the box. I did field strip the weapon and make sure everything was in order and there was no barrel obstruction so do your basic checks but no cleaning or lubrication required. The copper grease you see was put there by Glock and if I'm not mistaken they recommend you keep it there as long as you can. After the first 250 rounds I put through the gun I did break it down and do a basic cleaning. Just a quick wipe down and cleaned the barrel. No oil/lube/or cleaning agents, just a tooth brush and a swab to get some of the funk out of there. Please note that this is just my opinion as you may get some different advise from other users. There is a lot of knowledge floating around this forum and the higher ranking members are quick to help out and answer questions. Hope this helped and congrats on your first Glock!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Your guide rod will move around a bit. Nothing to worry about. The burrs should be fine too things will smooth out after you shoot it for a while. You should wipe down the grease and then reapply a small amount of oil to the 6 oil points and then you should be golden. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first Glock purchase

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Your guide rod will move around a bit. Nothing to worry about. The burrs should be fine too things will smooth out after you shoot it for a while. You should wipe down the grease and then reapply a small amount of oil to the 6 oil points and then you should be golden. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first Glock purchase
+1 on what he said...^^^...........and welcome to the forum, rc1988

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
just looks like spring drags to me too but its hard to tell in only one pic but if it gets worse you might want someone to look at it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i was mostly concerned with burrs in the plastic, hopefully its not my recoil spring rubbing against it. I also noticed that the top of the recoil spring is kind of knicked up? Im guessing this is from the pressure its under when it get seated in the groves on the barrel. Thanks again for all the help again guys, i will give a range report soon

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
If need be, Glock will make it right...
(770) 432-1202...If you're concerned, give 'em a call and ask for tech support...Run it by them, and see what they say...most likely if everything is working, they'll want you to give it a prescribed break-in period...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
You are going to get a few nicks from time to time, a lot of people freak out when the back right corner gets nicked but that happens when you put on the slide to hard and it hits the rail guild

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, going to pop her cherry with 100 rounds tomorrow morning, ill make sure to let you guys know how it goes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts