Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering "carrying". I own a Glock 17 I shoot for fun and some IDPA. If I carry I want to get a similar gun to my 17 (i.e there are so many similarities in glocks I do not have to relearn a new gun and I can use the same ammo).

I have shot the 26 and liked it but found it small in my hands. Some folks that have been carrying for a long time said I should consider a revolver. I would like to consider carrying the G26 in a pocket holster or in a cross draw IWB or inside the pants 1 clock position. another consideration is the G19 much to my surprise a LEO said he carried it for years as a CCW which surprised me given the size. He wore it at the 3-4 position. I shot the G19 and it was really a small 17 it seemed too big for a CCW.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The G26 is of course easier to conceal, however the G19 is not that much larger if you will lay them on top of each other and compare. I can CCW my G32 ALMOST as easy as the G33. It all depends of course on your build and your wardrobe. If the G19 is easier to control for you and you are comfortable with concealing it then that would be the one for you. As far as positions for concealing, the G33 works best for me in the appendix sposition, in all other positions the G32 conceals just as well.

Holster selections and positions for concealment are many and varied.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I carry a g26 every day and I have big hands, I think its the best gun for CCing. its a lot of gun if you just looking for a CC gun, the difference is the back strap and the way it craddles the palm of your hand when you hold it

its like holding a baseball in a way,your hand just curls around it

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I carry a g26 every day and I have big hands, I think its the best gun for CCing. its a lot of gun if you just looking for a CC gun, the difference is the back strap and the way it craddles the palm of your hand when you hold it

its like holding a baseball in a way,your hand just curls around it
Exactly. May I make a suggestion? If you're going to go with the 26, you might want to consider the 27. With the 27, it's like you get three guns in one..40, .357 sig, and 9mm. It's a great carry gun. Perfect size, and weight. I find anything heavier than that, I get grumpy after about five or six hours.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Virtually impossible to tell someone what weapon they need to carry...having said that, texcowboy makes a good point on the nominal size difference between the G26/G19...With ANY handgun, the way it feels in your hand is important. The best advice I could give in this area is to shoot any gun you're considering, and shoot it enough to know if you're gonna feel confident, and be competent with it... never buy one based on someone else's opinion of what they think you need...It needs to be the most natural for you...holsters/carry are the same way...you really have to try different holsters, and styles of carry. That's why most of us that have been shooting/carrying very long have a box of stuff we've bought, tried, and taken out of our arsenal, lol. Good luck in the search...You, like most of us will probably find that your needs may change over time...It's a fun journey...especially with a Glock...!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like barstoolguru, I also have big hands. When i first got the glock 26, it felt strange shooting with my pinky finger hanging off the grip. It didn't take long to grow accustomed and actually prefer this grip now. The 26 is accurate and a pleasure to shoot and carry.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Like barstoolguru, I also have big hands. When i first got the glock 26, it felt strange shooting with my pinky finger hanging off the grip. It didn't take long to grow accustomed and actually prefer this grip now. The 26 is accurate and a pleasure to shoot and carry.

Bruce
Welcome to the Forum Bruce !

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All good posts.

A G26 is an excellent CC piece for a G17 owner for many reasons.

·
Banned
966 Posts
Have you looked into mag extensions and basepads? Not only add a few rounds but makes a longer grip. Find one with good ergonomics and your 26 will feel "normal" without compromising the CC characteristics too much -- the butt will stick out more but no more than a 19 or 23.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
lots of people get scared because of the pinky not being used but if you do a test and hold a g26 and have someone grip it and pull it out of your hand you will be quick to see that the pinky has nothing to do with gripping a gun

·
Banned
966 Posts
lots of people get scared because of the pinky not being used but if you do a test and hold a g26 and have someone grip it and pull it out of your hand you will be quick to see that the pinky has nothing to do with gripping a gun
It might in terms of what feels right to a given individual.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
It might in terms of what feels right to a given individual.
IMO some of us have been around guns for a very long time have always had a full hand grip so when something comes along that doesn't require it; people tend to be skeptical. Glock did a superb job on the G26/G27 giving it balance and power in a design that can be controlled as well as concealed without compromise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have shot the 19 and 26 but only about 50 rds ea.

The 26 felt awkward in my hands like I could'nt control it I guess I should give it another try

I've seen the 26 with a pinkie extension grip anyone try those?

The 26 would be nice as a carry Im going to a range sat where I can borrow one

Thx

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
i have shot the 19 and 26 but only about 50 rds ea.

The 26 felt awkward in my hands like I could'nt control it I guess I should give it another try

I've seen the 26 with a pinkie extension grip anyone try those?

The 26 would be nice as a carry Im going to a range sat where I can borrow one

Thx
How'd you shoot the 26?

I'm not a fan of the extensions, but some people really like them. I do like the GAP floor plates however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new to the forum, but have owned several GLOCKs over the years. In my humble opinion, with the right ammo, the 19 has no peers as a carry gun. My wife and I both have concealed permits, and I put my 19 in my jeans pocket whenever I walk my dog, and can barely tell its there. There are so many great holsters made for this gun that I believe that it would be difficult to not find one that suits you. Again, my $.02 worth! And, to the owners and moderators, thanks for a nice place to learn, and meet other GLOCK owners.
Regards,
dlbx2

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I am new to the forum, but have owned several GLOCKs over the years. In my humble opinion, with the right ammo, the 19 has no peers as a carry gun. My wife and I both have concealed permits, and I put my 19 in my jeans pocket whenever I walk my dog, and can barely tell its there. There are so many great holsters made for this gun that I believe that it would be difficult to not find one that suits you. Again, my $.02 worth! And, to the owners and moderators, thanks for a nice place to learn, and meet other GLOCK owners.
Regards,
dlbx2
Good to have you with us...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I carry my 17 nearly all the time and my 20 otherwise. I like the full size gun for grip size and mag capacity. The real difference between the 17 and 26 is nominal. Lay one on top of the other and there is little difference. I am 5'9" and 155lbs, I carry IWB with a Hybrid holster. I sometimes carry in a Fobus holster. I have never had a problem concealing the 17 or 20. I also own a 19 and 26 but just prefer the 17. If I need my gun, I want to be able to get a good hold on it, and I want to have plenty of ammo without needing a spare mag. If you plan to carry a 26 and spare mag, you'll have not only the gun but also the spare mag to hide and carry. The weight of the 17 and especially the 20 can get heavy after a long day hiking, but it's worth it IMHO. There is a balliatic difference to consider between the 17 and 26 also. About 100-150 fps difference in bullet speed. 10% less with the shorter gun. That can affect JHP bullet performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I carry my 17 nearly all the time and my 20 otherwise. I like the full size gun for grip size and mag capacity. The real difference between the 17 and 26 is nominal. Lay one on top of the other and there is little difference. I am 5'9" and 155lbs, I carry IWB with a Hybrid holster. I sometimes carry in a Fobus holster. I have never had a problem concealing the 17 or 20. I also own a 19 and 26 but just prefer the 17. If I need my gun, I want to be able to get a good hold on it, and I want to have plenty of ammo without needing a spare mag. If you plan to carry a 26 and spare mag, you'll have not only the gun but also the spare mag to hide and carry. The weight of the 17 and especially the 20 can get heavy after a long day hiking, but it's worth it IMHO. There is a balliatic difference to consider between the 17 and 26 also. About 100-150 fps difference in bullet speed. 10% less with the shorter gun. That can affect JHP bullet performance.
I don't pretend to be an expert, but isn't it the grip that makes it obvious that someone is carrying? That is where the G26 makes the difference. It's not hard to hide a spare mag at all, as you can tuck that anywhere. Let's say I use the 12 round mag in the G26, the difference is only 5 rounds anyway but it's way easier to conceal if you live in a warm climate. If 12-13 rounds didn't get the job done, then you should be walking around with a tactical rifle and a drum.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I don't pretend to be an expert, but isn't it the grip that makes it obvious that someone is carrying? That is where the G26 makes the difference. It's not hard to hide a spare mag at all, as you can tuck that anywhere. Let's say I use the 12 round mag in the G26, the difference is only 5 rounds anyway but it's way easier to conceal if you live in a warm climate. If 12-13 rounds didn't get the job done, then you should be walking around with a tactical rifle and a drum.
Yes. The grip length is key, especially when carrying OWB (and one reason I don't do extended mags).

·
Registered
32 Posts
The difference in actual size is very negligable. If you're using the 12 round mag in a 26, you might as well be carrying a 17, getting the extra rounds, no need for a spare mag which is a waste of time, with the 17 you have the longer barrel, better bullet performance and more accuracy. The only drawback with the 17 is weight, not size. I have never had my weapon exposed in a concealed carry position and I've been carrying the 17 for more than 15 years. I carry the 20 in the woods, concealed or otherwise. If I am dressed in clothing that requires a smaller gun, I carry my LCP. The difference in size between the 17 and 26 is not enough to make a difference between being able to hide the 26 and not hide the 17. Just my experience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts