Glock Forum banner

How many mags are enough?

9K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  rowabi 
#1 ·
I've been on a roll buying mags for my new G34. I'm up to 6 17 rounders and 1 33 rounder. I've just bought 4 more 17s and pondering another 4 33 rounders.

I admit, the 33 rounders are at this point, not practical and I have been debating what to use them for (I can see a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in my near future).

I have like 9 18 round mags for my P226 and my brother-in-law thinks I'm nuts, but he immediately saw the light when I showed up at our range trip with 8 mags fully loaded and not have to pause for reload.

Question is, how many mags to do keep for each gun you own?

#4 ·
I like at least 6 so I can carry 2, and 1 in the gun while the others rest. Yeah, I know with modern springs it's prolly not necessary... but I'm old. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
i think it depends on the gun, a ten round mag for a glock or any gun i would say six mags are good, although i do have some 15 and 22 round mags but they add to much to the weight to the gun. on the mouse guns that hold less like the sig p238 i have 12 mags

#11 ·
I agree with the "as many as you can afford" concept. However with that said, Glock has substantially increased the prices of their magazines in recent years. Just 4 years ago I purchased 20, 13 round Hi-Cap original Glock factory magazines for my 2 Glock 21's from Natchez Shooters Supply for just $13.99 apiece. Today they are well into the $20+ range for the exact same magazine.

Even with the price increase they, (Glock factory magazines), are still cheaper than most. For example when I purchased my Sig P-226 SCT, (Super Capacity Tactical), it shipped with 4, 20 round magazines. I then purchased a Sig P-226 Stainless Elite. I bought 4, 20 magazines for it at a cost of $54.00 each. Magazines for H&K pistols can run even higher than that. For a 31 round magazine for my H&K USP 9 they want $150.00 for one! By comparison factory Glock 33 rounders can be had for just $35.00 each when on sale from Midway.

Magazines are somewhat of a disposable item. Based on that it pays to have as many as possible, or at least as many as one can afford with the current economy. Also, with the current Democratic leadership, one never knows if or when they'll try to push another Hi-Cap magazine ban. Bill T.

#23 ·
Just keep buying mags, before you know it there might be some kind of ban on "high capacity mags". Also sign up for the botach.com newsletter, they had a 24hr sale on glock mags last week. They were $19.98 each I think, and the 33 rd one was $10 more, so I picked up a few. Although those that are in states with mag capacity limits, it may not matter.

Reactions: rowabi
#29 ·
Get em while you can. I'm stockpiling everything...guns, mags, ammo, etc. Anything could happen at any time! The economy may be bad, but I can tell you this...the last few gun shows here were jam packed every day and not just by lookers...people were buying everything! My local gun store is doing a jamming business, at the gun shows and just every day selling. I've lived a long time and I've seen a lot...and something inside of me is telling me to stock pile. I'm paying attention!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.