Glock Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now we all know what WE each like to carry every day, but how much is too much for you? I am required to carry more than most people, and I know some guys i work with may carry so little it violates our required "off duty carry" policy. And some guys go so far as to carry long guns in their cars.
How much is to much of a daily carry for you?

might be a good idea for everyone to carry a note pad and pencil in order to document incidents and provide that info to LE or uphold in court.

- Here is some of what I carry every day OFF DUTY:
S&W handcuffs
pager
phone
notepad and pencil
shield
Benchmade barrage 585 (duty knife)
Glock 23 gen 3 with 2 mags.
Surefire G3 tac. light

IMG_0269.JPG

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The OP already carries more off-duty than I was required to carry while ON duty. For 25 years the only thing I had on my belt was:

1. Revolver and holster
2. two "dump" pouches...later changed to speedloaders at my option.
3. One pair handcuffs

Didn't have cell phones, belt radios, or any of the other goodies today's officers probably take for granted. My old dept. today carries:

Glocks in .45 GAP
Two spare mags
Taser
Belt radio w/lapel mike
Expandable baton
Pepper Spray
Handcuffs

I still haven't figured out how anyone can move carrying all that hardware.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The OP already carries more off-duty than I was required to carry while ON duty. For 25 years the only thing I had on my belt was:

1. Revolver and holster
3. One pair handcuffs

Didn't have cell phones, belt radios, or any of the other goodies today's officers probably take for granted. My old dept. today carries:

Glocks in .45 GAP
Two spare mags
Taser
Belt radio w/lapel mike
Expandable baton
Pepper Spray
Handcuffs

I've looked at police officers and wonder the same thing, how they can they move quickly with all that gear amazes me...of course, most of them look to be in great shape and I assume their training is ongoing with many reps and speed protocols...at least I hope so!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I carry one of my Glocks every day and a Spiderco knife. When I wear a jacket a carry an extra mag.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
the basics~ gun ,extra mag, flash light, peper spray and a gerber knife, hooker money in a hidden pocket. I leave the cuffs at home; if I shoot them and they still wanna run they will show up some where

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

1. Revolver and holster
3. One pair handcuffs

Glocks in .45 GAP
Two spare mags
Taser
Belt radio w/lapel mike
Expandable baton
Pepper Spray
Handcuffs

lol...you're right...seems like a lot until you picture one of our soldiers in Afghanistan with their daily carry...keeping it on-topic though, A Glock 30 S, extra mag, a 200 lumen light, and a Ruger LCP as a BUG... :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've looked at police officers and wonder the same thing, how they can they move quickly with all that gear amazes me...of course, most of them look to be in great shape and I assume their training is ongoing with many reps and speed protocols...at least I hope so!
Yup a pager hah, I'm on the emergency service unit. A general do all unit SAR/LE/HAZMAT. Duty belt right now is an asp baton, OC spray, taser, M&p40 w/3 extra mags 2 cuffs sometimes an extra for fatties or other subjects.800 Radio and a nextel weighs about about 20ish lbs. not to mention then we add armor. its hot as hell but i wear a steel front plate so armor is around 15 lbs. unless im wearing my lvl 4 armor. then we are talking 40 lbs. just training with it and being fit. And gun belt suspenders help a lot. If your agency allows them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My husband can't just leave the house in a hurry - I have to give him at least 5 minutes head start, lol. It took me some getting used to when we were first married.

I think this is his entire list - he tends to travel light:
- 1 set S&W handcuffs (depends where he's going)
- G23 /no extra mags
- open leather belt holster for easy conceal carry (so the natives don't get restless in WalMart check out lines)
- a knife of some sort (varies)
- some kind of lace up shoes - this is his big thing, lol

This is so much lighter than his duty rig - this is what he carries, on his actual belt...all 19 lbs of it.
- G23 with rail tac light
- holster with thumb safety
- 2 extra mags
- 2 S&W handcuffs (regular size)
- 1 Pearless handcuff (oversize - they have some big boys here; would love to find these in S&W)
- phone in duty case
- asp baton in duty case
- flash light in duty case

He refuses to be taser certified, so he sticks to the good old asp, his friend. :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My husband can't just leave the house in a hurry - I have to give him at least 5 minutes head start, lol. It took me some getting used to when we were first married.

I think this is his entire list - he tends to travel light:
- 1 set S&W handcuffs (depends where he's going)
- G23 /no extra mags
- open leather belt holster for easy conceal carry (so the natives don't get restless in WalMart check out lines)
- a knife of some sort (varies)
- some kind of lace up shoes - this is his big thing, lol

This is so much lighter than his duty rig - this is what he carries, on his actual belt...all 19 lbs of it.
- G23 with rail tac light
- holster with thumb safety
- 2 extra mags
- 2 S&W handcuffs (regular size)
- 1 Pearless handcuff (oversize - they have some big boys here; would love to find these in S&W)
- phone in duty case
- asp baton in duty case
- flash light in duty case

He refuses to be taser certified, so he sticks to the good old asp, his friend. :eek:

wont ride the lightning huh? well it felt like someone made to lacerations (where the prongs hit) and got a 1/2 inch width rope with a nice knot in it and repeditivly tore it through as fast as they could.. thats just me though haha. plus, atleast in northern colorado we are having issues where guys are using tasers when they should be using lethal force. unfortunately getting killed or injured from this mistake.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
wont ride the lightning huh? well it felt like someone made to lacerations (where the prongs hit) and got a 1/2 inch width rope with a nice knot in it and repeditivly tore it through as fast as they could.. thats just me though haha. plus, atleast in northern colorado we are having issues where guys are using tasers when they should be using lethal force. unfortunately getting killed or injured from this mistake.
I don't think it matters in some cases what is used (taser or use of force), they will yell they used the wrong thing no matter what. Especially in a school system, when ISD calls and can't control the situation, they get mad at the police for just using handcuffs.

And no, he won't ride, lol.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
i carry my g 27 everywhere i go and in the car console i have 2 fully loaded 15 rd mags and two full boxes of ammo
Me too. Sometimes a 23 in the colder months.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
everyone is going with these protec lights? i just cannot adjust to it, i have one on my 12ga and it is the dullest light even with new batts. I love my surefires although they cost a pretty penny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts