Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the .40 and .45, which is better for hunting? This is in tandem with a 12 gauge of course.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Deer hunting...that is.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
A 10MM would be better than either.

·
Registered
960 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, looks like you better go out tomorrow and get one!
Ha!! Ok! Thinking about it. But, if I don't, what do you think?
I'm not now and never have been a "deer hunting" guy. Lot's of my friends are and none of them use a pistol for hunting. I do know that there are many that do but my friends all prefer nice long rifles. A couple of friends use shotguns but for the most part it seems that the 30.06 is the most popular. Just keep that 12 gauge handy if a wild boar decides to cross your path! (With extra shells!!)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No boars here...I live in southeastern Michigan. The hand gun is a "just in case" I have a deer that is too close to my tree stand for the shotgun.

·
Registered
960 Posts
No boars here...I live in southeastern Michigan. The hand gun is a "just in case" I have a deer that is too close to my tree stand for the shotgun.
That's good about no boars there! They are quite nasty overprotective critters! Michigan....hmmm......stay warm! Moved back to my original home in Alabama after many long, cold years in Wisconsin!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm a deer hunter, and I wouldn't like either for deer... I don't know...I suppose you're using slugs, scoped shotgun, and you're concerned about one slipping in real close...If you couldn't get an accurate shot with the shotgun, you'd be talking about R E A L close...Without the deer sitting in your lap, I can't imagine one being too close for the shotgun...All considered, probably the .40, if no other options...The .357, .44 mag are great in this scenario...as is the 10mm

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a deer hunter, and I wouldn't like either for deer... I don't know...I suppose you're using slugs, scoped shotgun, and you're concerned about one slipping in real close...If you couldn't get an accurate shot with the shotgun, you'd be talking about R E A L close...Without the deer sitting in your lap, I can't imagine one being too close for the shotgun...All considered, probably the .40, if no other options...The .357, .44 mag are great in this scenario...as is the 10mm
Yes! Like at the bottom of my tree stand close. Happened last year. 6 point, about 15 feet almost straight down.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It slipped in from right behind me. No way to get the shotgun around.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
hey, it happens...a lot of states forbid the use of FMJ for hunting, and rightly so...if you're gonna use one of those two rounds, get a good expanding round. And keep those eyes and ears open...lol...good luck !

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have a 45 I would use it. There is videos on youtube of Keith Warren hunting with a Glock 21. He has even killed a elk with his 45.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If I had to pick between 40 and 45, I would pick 45 !

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I agree with that.

·
Registered
178 Posts
45 with good ammo will do it. I hunt with a 44 mag some and it can be very detrimental to a pigs health. 45 ACP on a high angle shot like from a tree stand with controlled expansion rounds will work if you do your part.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your state game laws should state what handgun calibers can and cannot be used for deer hunting. When I lived in Arizona I could use my .45 for certain game, but not for deer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts