Glock Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently issued an old 2nd Gen Model 22 @ work and thought the world had come to an end as I knew it. To be honest,I've tried Glocks over the years and could never wrap my head around the total technique change required to master them. Well.....I recently accepted a transfer (same county govt. - different agency) and was issued the 22. Despite all of my stubborn objections,I knew that this gun was going to be my duty weapon and my life depends on it. After several range sessions (and UNlearning almost everything I had been taught over the last 25+ years about how to shoot!),the group sizes started to shrink. My first qualification was 92% and the next (months later) was 96% having not fired it in between.

I guess it wont surprise anyone here to find out that I bought a 33 & a 36 since then...... I guess I'm officially a "convert"!!!!!!

Charles

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
All it takes is getting used the gun. Mind over matter. It's just like getting used to any new gun. They all shoot and handle a little different. Welcome to the forum and be sure to belly up to the bar and grab a glass of kool-aid :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was recently issued an old 2nd Gen Model 22 @ work and thought the world had come to an end as I knew it. To be honest,I've tried Glocks over the years and could never wrap my head around the total technique change required to master them. Well.....I recently accepted a transfer (same county govt. - different agency) and was issued the 22. Despite all of my stubborn objections,I knew that this gun was going to be my duty weapon and my life depends on it. After several range sessions (and UNlearning almost everything I had been taught over the last 25+ years about how to shoot!),the group sizes started to shrink. My first qualification was 92% and the next (months later) was 96% having not fired it in between.

I guess it wont surprise anyone here to find out that I bought a 33 & a 36 since then...... I guess I'm officially a "convert"!!!!!

Charles
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear your groups have improved over time. Glad you like the Glock. I am pretty good (groups) on my 23 (.40), but still learning my brand new 36 (45ACP)! Again welcome!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome from Colorado!

Glocks are a disease...and you've been infected :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
gen2? Awesome. I wish my department had those.

I qualified my gen3 23C with a daytime/nighttime score of 97/100.
Soon to qualify a gen3 17C. I've actually practiced some this time so I expect a 100/100.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Gen2 G22 was my first Glock also. I got it used for a price I thought was too good to pass up, figured worst case scenario I'll sell it for what I paid for it. Surprise, surprise I shot well with it and actually enjoyed shooting it! :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on choosing two great Glocks to purchase, the G33 and G36, both hard hitting and great CCW handguns.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome from Colorado!

Glocks are a disease...and you've been infected :)

Yup, and there's no cure... :D Welcome from PA...

·
Registered
7 Posts
jacking an old thread but what technique changes had or have to be made to work with the glock platform? i'm a new shooter and have only shot glocks and an xdm 3.8 9mm 1,000rds. still learning the glock but would like to hear what changes helped, physically or mentally, thanks!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
simplicity in the design

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
If I understand the question, as a new shooter, there shouldn't be much to change or re-learn...As there are no manual safety's, it's a lot like a revolver...keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to shoot...The Glock platform isn't hard to learn...in fact it's probably the easiest...have a system, in your carry, and in your range time...stick to it. Get to know your Glock at the range...find the range and carry ammo that your gun likes, and feed it a steady diet of it. Shoot at realistic distances, 7-10 yards...Get that down, first...You don't need to hit targets at 200 yards...They make AR's and other rifles for that, lol :) The key is practice, practice, practice...did I tell you it takes practice, lol...? The more you shoot, the better you'll get. A Glock is the most dependable pistol you can own, and it will work for you when you need it. You'll hear a lot about modifying this and that...my recommendation...don't..not right away...A stock "out of the box" Glock will serve anyone well. As you get to know the weapon well, you may decide that you might want to change the trigger, sights, etc...That's totally up to you...don't do it just because someone says you need to...Shoot, shoot a lot, and shoot some more...Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts