Glock Forum banner

I need help please

8K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  barryalen1992 
#1 ·
Hello,

I got my Glock 17 about a month ago and I also got the "Blackhawk SERPA Sportster Holster". I love this holster BUT when I have it under my shirt. It is very clear that I'm carrying. I would like a good holster that will work with Glock 17 and won't be obvious that I'm carrying. I know the Glock 17 is a big gun so if you know of a holster that will do the job and conceal the gun. PLEASE let me know.

#2 ·
Well, ... ... don't you know that it's IMPOSSIBLE to hide a SERPA holster—Impossible! (I ought 'a know; I wore one all day, yesterday!) :p

If you want a decently made, inexpensive, and far more concealable holster for that G-17 (Nice pistol, by the way!) then I'd suggest you consider another design. Like, say, this one:

DeSantis Gunhide Slim-Tuk GLOCK 17

#3 · (Edited)
I have had my Glock 17 for 28 years. There is a reason I don't carry it much anymore & you just nailed it. hard to hide outside of winter

When I do carry it, it is usually in an Uncle Mikes sidekick holster (1990's vintage) on my belt with a jacket or shirt over it.

#4 ·
I am a retired LEO and worked plain clothes most of the time. There are plenty of holsters that allow you to carry without revealing that you're carrying a firearm. Unless you're wearing a leotard or skin tight clothes, you should find plenty of options.

How do you prefer to carry? IWB, OWB, appendix, small of back, etc?

FYI, Serpa holsters have a really bad reputation and are banded at some of the ranges and classes in my area. They've also been banded by a number of agencies.

#5 ·
I am a retired LEO and worked plain clothes most of the time. There are plenty of holsters that allow you to carry without revealing that you're carrying a firearm. Unless you're wearing a leotard or skin tight clothes, you should find plenty of options. How do you prefer to carry? IWB, OWB, appendix, small of back, etc? FYI, Serpa holsters have a really bad reputation and are banded at some of the ranges and classes in my area. They've also been banded by a number of agencies.
OK, I'll agree that every new LTC holder needs to learn how to 'dress around the weapon'; but, at the same time, I don't think it's a particularly fair statement to say that SERPA holsters have a really bad reputation. Remember that the U.S. military uses thousands of SERPA holsters!

What's really wrong with SERPA holsters is that too many people who are new to carrying a pistol have NOT developed the (actually vital) habit of keeping their damned trigger finger straight on the draw; and this has, most assuredly, caused a lot of serious problems for newbies with uncontrolled trigger fingers!

It is for this very reason that I, myself, will not allow anybody who is only lightly experienced with carrying a handgun to use a SERPA holster in any class that I teach. (I wear one; but the newbies cannot!) The SERPA is a good holster; but, it's critical for whomever is using a SERPA holster to,

KEEP HIS DAMNED TRIGGER FINGER STRAIGHT ON BOTH THE DRAW, AND RE:HOLSTER.

If a user hasn't, yet, developed good trigger finger habits then, yes, a SERPA holster can, indeed, be a dangerous accessory to use; BUT, that ain't the holster's fault—It's the user's (and, maybe, the instructor's) fault instead!

#9 · (Edited)
:) Naa, we're not getting off topic; instead, I think you're just becoming a little uncomfortable with the direction this thread has taken—Which ain't, necessarily, a bad thing because original topics can get a little 'stale' whenever a subject is too tightly held to. (Haven't you ever noticed how it's the threads that last the longest and go on, sometimes for months, that have this way of expanding well beyond the original premise and becoming more interesting?)

For instance I always find it, kind 'a, trite whenever someone (anyone really, and not necessarily you) comes back with a reply like, "Well MY Glock Model 19 works; so I can't understand 'Why' yours doesn't!" (No matter that Glock Model 19's have had more 'mystery upgrades' than any other pistol in Glock's Model lineup! They're even the main reason for New York City's infamous 'Phase 3' disasters!)

What I'm saying is that just because you, and just because I have never had a 'Glock leg' incident does NOT mean that plenty of other people haven't! (Cause plenty of other people have!) The illogical mistake comes in when a 'serious gunman' like you, or like me assumes that because our experience is 'this' then everyone else's experience can't be 'that'. (Understand?) ;)

Oh, one other thing: When I realized that the OP was kind 'a new to all of this. I didn't recommend another SERPA holster; so, yes, I share your opinion that he shouldn't start out with a SERPA. Instead I recommended a DeSantis holster which I think he'll do a lot better with; and, until he learns how to 'dress around the gun', will have a much easier time concealing.

ADDED: I, also, share your penchant for 'appendix carry'; and I do it much of the time; and, especially, when I'm driving. (I'm ambidextrous with all hand tools and weapons; but, whenever I'm driving a vehicle, I always make my pistol available to my righthand. 'Why'? Because no driver on this side of the Atlantic wants to disadvantage himself by having to draw and fire a pistol from the driver's seat with his lefthand.)

The big problem with 'appendix carry' is that it exposes the user's femoral artery to EXACTLY THE KIND OF PROBLEM that we're talking about, here! (And it doesn't matter what particular style of holster the wearer is using!) This is the principal reason 'Why' I do NOT recommend for ANY LTC NEOPHYTE to use an 'appendix carry' holster. (Because, if the user screws up then he'll bleed out in less than 90 seconds—Right!) :p

Reactions: BBtruck
#10 ·
Pistolero, I don't agree with most of that last statement. I will be more than happy to reply once Aldo gets the information needed and has abandoned this thread.

Aldo, here is a great review of Aliengear's Shapeshift holster system[/video] and it has even convinced me that it's a great option for concealed carry.

[video=youtube;64s1LPcRlp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64s1LPcRlp0"]Aliengear Shapeshift Review[/video]

#11 · (Edited)
Pistolero, I don't agree with most of that last statement. I will be more than happy to reply once Aldo gets the information needed and has abandoned this thread. Aldo, here is a great review of Aliengear's Shapeshift holster system[/video] and it has even convinced me that it's a great option for concealed carry.
Not to agree, Sir, is one of your inalienable rights! I'm about done with this thread, too; but before I go, my final suggestion would be for you not to encourage neophyte gunmen to use any form of carry that exposes their femoral arteries to potential harm. I mean here we are dickering back 'n forth about SERPA's being inherently unsafe holsters, yada, yada, yada; and, then, one of us turns around and recommends (of all things) appendix carry! (Reminds me of the pot trading places with the frying pan!) :D

You have a nice day; as for myself, I'm out 'a here!

Reactions: BBtruck
#13 · (Edited)
Well, this has been interesting. I think what we can learn from this thread is that the biggest safety factor is finger discipline.

I've carried SERPA holsters for years with no issues (including tactical environments). But not for concealment as like the OP stated it doesn't conceal very well.

I currently either carry appendix Crazy eyes Sidecar (https://crazyeyesholsters.com/shop?olsPage=products/ce-sidecar-iwb-kydex-holster)

or at the 4 in a Crossbreed Supertuck depending on the attire for the day.

As long as you practice propper discipline AIWB is no more dangerous than any other carry means. And it's by far the most comfortable and concealable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I use a Desantes high ride forward cant OTWB 002 type for my 17. To change it up I will also use a Don Humes H7021 that I had to trim a bit to the topstrap to clear my Crimson Trace Lazer. I just don't care for plastic or Kydex holsters. That is coarse is just my personal preference.

#17 ·
I think your best bet is a Blackhawk Thigh Rig with a QUICK DISCONNECT SYSTEM integrated. Practically invisible.

Bought probably 15 holsters trying to conceal my Glock 19 with only about 4 that were worth a damn.

Think the Blade Tech Phantom was the first that I really liked. slim as possible and comfy.

Recently, at Walmart of all places and bought an OWB Bianchi holster think it's called Bianchi 101 Foldaway. And man, all I use now. I never really liked IWB, but seemed that was the only way to truly conceal. wrong.

Point is, buy it now!!!!

Oh, and I have several Serpas and they are like, totally cool.

#20 · (Edited)

Attachments

#21 ·
I know I'm coming to the party late, but I'm looking for and open carry holster OWB for rage use something that rides much lower a then concealed carry holster they ride to high for my purpose similar to a duty holster but not a leg rig.. Any suggestions are welcomed. I was consider the Serpa holster as well, but after reading this thread... Glock 19 gen 4 Compact 4in barrel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.