Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being out of the shooting game for a number of years, I started a search for a new 9mm pistol. Living where I do, there's very little opportunity (make that none) to try a new pistol out before buying, so I turned to the good, old internet.
I quickly narrowed my searches to a Ruger SR9c, M&P9c, Walther PPQ, and a Glock 19. I looked at every video and forum I could find regarding these. I watched them being shot, critiqued, disassembled, cleaned, dissed and praised. Believe me, this is a confusing process. For everyone who liked one or the other, there was always a "BUT" in there somewhere.
Keep in mind that I was a competitor in several different shooting forms at one time or another, but when I retired as a LEO in 1993, I simply gave up shooting (yeah, I know, what was wrong with me).

At any rate, I found a gunshop with a good selection. It quickly got narrowed down. The SR9c was out because it did not feel good in my hand at all. The PPQ was out simply because NOBODY around here had one I could even handle. The M&P9c felt great...except for the trigger. Didn't like that at all, nor did I feel like paying another c-note for a trigger kit that may or may not make me like it better. That left the G19. I had put a few thousand rounds through a Gen 1 G17 which I was reviewing for a shooting publication. Liked the trigger and the operation was absolutely flawless.

This morning I called the same gunshop and asked if they had a Gen4 G19....they did. I picked it up and it was like meeting an old friend. Same trigger as I remembered it, great balance, the size was perfect. Bottom line.....I plopped a down payment and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to getting back into shooting again and am anxious to hit the range:D

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
.....I plopped a down payment and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to getting back into shooting again and am anxious to hit the range
quote for lord of the rings; "my precious" Jaw Art Happy Snout Disfigurement

Anticipation will get to you; so here put this in your wallet. It is a scratch-and-sniff Glock Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The G19 is a good choice in a 9mm, a 'Commander' size.

·
Registered
960 Posts
After being out of the shooting game for a number of years, I started a search for a new 9mm pistol. Living where I do, there's very little opportunity (make that none) to try a new pistol out before buying, so I turned to the good, old internet.
I quickly narrowed my searches to a Ruger SR9c, M&P9c, Walther PPQ, and a Glock 19. I looked at every video and forum I could find regarding these. I watched them being shot, critiqued, disassembled, cleaned, dissed and praised. Believe me, this is a confusing process. For everyone who liked one or the other, there was always a "BUT" in there somewhere.
Keep in mind that I was a competitor in several different shooting forms at one time or another, but when I retired as a LEO in 1993, I simply gave up shooting (yeah, I know, what was wrong with me).

At any rate, I found a gunshop with a good selection. It quickly got narrowed down. The SR9c was out because it did not feel good in my hand at all. The PPQ was out simply because NOBODY around here had one I could even handle. The M&P9c felt great...except for the trigger. Didn't like that at all, nor did I feel like paying another c-note for a trigger kit that may or may not make me like it better. That left the G19. I had put a few thousand rounds through a Gen 1 G17 which I was reviewing for a shooting publication. Liked the trigger and the operation was absolutely flawless.

This morning I called the same gunshop and asked if they had a Gen4 G19....they did. I picked it up and it was like meeting an old friend. Same trigger as I remembered it, great balance, the size was perfect. Bottom line.....I plopped a down payment and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to getting back into shooting again and am anxious to hit the range:D
Awesome story! Don't know how you ever lived without them. Maybe being in Law Enforcement you just felt maybe "those firearm days were over". I've heard that from a couple of retired LEO's. Glad to see you did your homework and are happy with your "old friend". I love a great Glock story like yours! :)

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I think you made a good choice!

Ruger SR9c and M&Pc are close to G26 in size which is more compact than G19. Which means it has a longer grip and is more comfortable to hold ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats and good choice. Tenn has a 14 day waiting period?
Nope...I could have brought it home today...if I had the whole amount. My "war department" informed me that I could lay one away, but had to wait until the end of the month for the next pension check to pay it off. (No, not henpecked, just a wife who manages the money very well.);)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome story! Don't know how you ever lived without them. Maybe being in Law Enforcement you just felt maybe "those firearm days were over". I've heard that from a couple of retired LEO's. Glad to see you did your homework and are happy with your "old friend". I love a great Glock story like yours! :)
AC1, it wasn't a case of living without them, it was a case of total burnout. From the late 70's thru the mid-80's was a period where I literally lived guns. I was a very avid IPSC competitor at the time, as well as a fairly prolific gunwriter. I shot constantly. When I was off duty I was either at my reloading bench or at the shooting range, either practicing for a match, working on my skills, or testing another handgun and/or doing the photography for another article. I literally had given up playing golf and bass fishing which I loved to do. I just finally said enough. I'd gotten to the point where it was no longer any fun. I just up and sold every piece of shooting and reloading gear I owned and walked away. Just never missed it all these years until lately. I intend to give some IDPA matches a try. I'm older and I fear a lot slower than I used to be, but it will be fun all the same.:)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Nope...I could have brought it home today...if I had the whole amount. My "war department" informed me that I could lay one away, but had to wait until the end of the month for the next pension check to pay it off. (No, not henpecked, just a wife who manages the money very well.);)
Ahh good I was thinking that TN was a more gun friendly state. Have you done your LEOSA qualification for your National Carry under HR 218 yet?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I understand totally. Especially since your whole life revolved around guns and ammo. You are never too old and I'm sure you would give those young whippersnappers a run for their money! Glad you are here. You will like this place! :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh good I was thinking that TN was a more gun friendly state. Have you done your LEOSA qualification for your National Carry under HR 218 yet?
Nope. Pretty sure I would need to return to Pa. to be certified there. With a TN concealed carry permit, I'm legal in most of the states that I travel through. Just gotta get one. Have to take an 8hr class ($65), then march to a driver's license station and hand them another check for $115, get fingerprinted, and wait up to 3 months for my permit. Good for 4 years, then $50 every four years after that.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Nope. Pretty sure I would need to return to Pa. to be certified there. With a TN concealed carry permit, I'm legal in most of the states that I travel through. Just gotta get one. Have to take an 8hr class ($65), then march to a driver's license station and hand them another check for $115, get fingerprinted, and wait up to 3 months for my permit. Good for 4 years, then $50 every four years after that.
If you qualify for HR 218 all you would need is a ID from the last agency you worked for and to qualify once a year in the state you now reside. No need to travel back to PA. I got mine because the LEOSA overrides the stupid ammo restrictions that some states put in place. That way if I travel I don't have to change out my carry rounds for something less effective.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you qualify for HR 218 all you would need is a ID from the last agency you worked for and to qualify once a year in the state you now reside. No need to travel back to PA. I got mine because the LEOSA overrides the stupid ammo restrictions that some states put in place. That way if I travel I don't have to change out my carry rounds for something less effective.
I might just have to look into that. I know the local sheriff here. Maybe he can tell me where I'd have to go to get qualified. However, I need a bit of "trigger time" to get back in the race before I go for that.:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
90 days is worst case. I believe that they are turning the permits in a couple of weeks now. At least they were a couple of years ago when my wife got hers.

Regards,

Chuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts