Glock Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title asks, I'm wondering if frequent detail cleaning is bad for a handgun?

I bought my Glock 19 Gen4 back in July '12 and since then have put just over 1800 rounds through it, with no malfunctions whatsoever. I clean after every day at the range, mostly just standard cleaning. I've done full detail cleanings of the frame and slide a few times already.

I'm know the actual act of cleaning is just fine, but I read somewhere that FULLY DISASSEMBLING & REASSEMBLING the frame and slide puts excess wear on the gun.

Is this true?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You wil get a few differant opinions on this, some say it puts wear on the pin holes. I cant give an opinion because I'm too chicken to do a detail strip, if any of mine are detailed it will be by my gunsmith. As far as field strip I clean mine about every other trip to the range, that is one of the things I like about Glocks. They run great dirty.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Depending on what you mean by "frequent", yes it can.

As (comparatively) easy as it is to detail strip a Glock, there are parts that wear differently when doing so than they would under normal use. The most glaring example I saw on our class guns was on the trigger mechanism housing - frequent removal & installation of the trigger spring had worn the plastic around the hole almost completely away.

This particular G22 had been detailed stripped and reassembled thousands of times, so it's an extreme case. And the parts that would wear are inexpensive to replace.

But our instructor made it a point to tell us that if you don't have to do it, don't.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup
What they say "texcowboy" and "RMD" just about covers it...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
remember Glocks are dishwasher safe (upper rack) and skip the rinse agent

·
Registered
960 Posts
I clean after EVERY range visit. Even if I'm going back the next day, I still clean. As far as how far I take it down, I'm in no way trained as a Glock Armorer, so for me it's empty chamber, magazine out, slide off, barrel and recoil spring apart, clean and reassemble. That's as far as I go anyway. Guess my military training rubbed off as far as having a clean firearm, AT ALL TIMES! :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I clean after EVERY range visit. Even if I'm going back the next day, I still clean. As far as how far I take it down, I'm in no way trained as a Glock Armorer, so for me it's empty chamber, magazine out, slide off, barrel and recoil spring apart, clean and reassemble. That's as far as I go anyway. Guess my military training rubbed off as far as having a clean firearm, AT ALL TIMES! :)
That's what I do - field strip, inspect & clean after every range session...well, most every :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
going beyond field strip is really not needed. i clean mine after every range visit no matter what the round count is. a lot of the old timers at my club clean only every 300-500 rounds on all different types of guns and none of them has ever had a problem.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Field strip and clean...all it needs under normal circumstances...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for the input.

Conclusion: Frequent detail cleaning isn't necessary, and eventually it will wear out the pin holes and possibly other parts.

But I must say after detail stripping it once, I've learned a lot about the gun. And I can thoroughly clean the Glock while it is gutted. For me, it is satisfying and assuring, knowing that all the parts of the gun are as clean as possible. It's actually a lot of fun fully disassembling & reassembling...probably why I do it so frequently ;)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks everybody for the input.

Conclusion: Frequent detail cleaning isn't necessary, and eventually it will wear out the pin holes and possibly other parts.

But I must say after detail stripping it once, I've learned a lot about the gun. And I can thoroughly clean the Glock while it is gutted. For me, it is satisfying and assuring, knowing that all the parts of the gun are as clean as possible. It's actually a lot of fun fully disassembling & reassembling...probably why I do it so frequently ;)
Good conclusion & observation :)

One thing to remember is that the firing pin, EDP and their channels need to stay clean and dry - free from debris, cleaning agents and lube. So if you do have it apart, be sure to check those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good conclusion & observation :)

One thing to remember is that the firing pin, EDP and their channels need to stay clean and dry - free from debris, cleaning agents and lube. So if you do have it apart, be sure to check those.
Yup, the firing pin, EDP and their channels ALWAYS stay clean and dry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I really need some help, I was putting the slide back onto my G19 and i somehow missed the rear rails but got the front ones to thread. I can't get the slide off now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Detail stripping is only necessary about every 15,000-25,000 rounds if that.I only do it when trying new trigger parts,strikers and doing the .25 etc..
I have heard that excessive detail stripping can wear out the pin holes.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I agree with the above comment. I have never stripped any of mine past the field stripping. There is no real need for it that compressed air and or a good hot water rinse can't do. Removing the pins to often will wallow the holes out and create bigger problems

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hey I really need some help, I was putting the slide back onto my G19 and i somehow missed the rear rails but got the front ones to thread. I can't get the slide off now.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what's going on, but have you tried to do what you'd normally do to take it off? (unloaded, press trigger, move slide back slightly, etc.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts