Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend at the range mentioned that the local police and state police in PA are dumping the .45 G.A.P. but are sticking with Glock?...

·
Registered
960 Posts
As far as I know, Florida State Police still carry G.A.P's. I have always wanted to fire one just to compare it to the acp cartridge.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Not dead, but a dedicated (small) following....
Ya gotta wonder if it's gonna make it, though...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Not dead, but a dedicated (small) following....
Ya gotta wonder if it's gonna make it, though...
I have to agree, as I stated elsewhere on the Forum, last month at Cabella's they had a Glock GAP handgun but no ammo, the same day i found the same problem at Cheaper Thank Dirt. I think the 45 GAP may have been an ingenious answer to a non-existent problem (paraphrasing Col. Jeff Cooper).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to agree, as I stated elsewhere on the Forum, last month at Cabella's they had a Glock GAP handgun but no ammo, the same day i found the same problem at Cheaper Thank Dirt. I think the 45 GAP may have been an ingenious answer to a non-existent problem (paraphrasing Col. Jeff Cooper).
"Yup "I'll would have to agree...

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
As a .45ACP owner I have to say if GAP cartridge was invented first ACP would never have stood a chance. Might just be the case of too little too late; Americans love the .45ACP and Europeans prefer 9mm so .45 GAP's future is pretty uncertain.

If I found a great deal on a gen4 GAP model I'd be pretty tempted to jump on it. Love the feel of gen4 G17/22 frame!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The Denver PD armorer I spoke to loved his, and said it has performed quite well in OIS's.

A .45 that feels like a G19 in your hand? I want one...heck, I want every model I don't yet own :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As a retired former member of the Pa State Police, I'm really interested in what in blazes they're switching to this time??? When I began with them, it was 6" Colt wheelguns in .38 Spec. Issue ammo was the old RNL round. They switched to Ruger Security Six's in .357, duty load was the WW 125JHP. During this time, I was reviewing a (then new) first generation Glock 17 for a shooting publication. I was so impressed I bought it, shot it a ton, then was told that it was not on the "approved" list for off duty carry "because it didn't have a safety":p . Just before my retirement, they sent out questionaires regarding purchase of a new duty sidearm (autoloaders). I was a firearm instructor and spoke up for Glocks. They opted instead for a DAO Beretta in .40. (I regard Berettas about one step above a boat anchor, but that's just me) Had the opportunity to fire the one issued to my replacement range officer after I retired and the trigger was a total abomination and the sights were so out of whack it was all either of us could do to hit the paper at 25 yards!! They then swapped out for a different model Beretta before changing again to the Glock in .45 GAP. Interestingly enough, when I was told they weren't an approved for carry due to lack of safety, they were issued to the members of the SERT (SWAT) team. I could go on..............

·
Banned
966 Posts
VHS vs. Betamax, Microsoft vs. Apple, .45 ACP vs. .45 GAP. The one that came along first isn't always the best but it's usually the winner in the marketing wars. Familiarity is a powerful attractant to humans.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum jdw174. With your background and experience I am looking forward to your posts, stick around and be one of us! We are a Forum composed of old timers such as myself and younger members that are just becoming handgun and/or Glock enthusiest.
We may not always agree but I think you will find we are the friendliest Firearms Forum on the Web. When we get a Troll or a person that just wants to argue for argument sake our Moderator Gray_Wolf takes care of things.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
As a retired former member of the Pa State Police, I'm really interested in what in blazes they're switching to this time??? When I began with them, it was 6" Colt wheelguns in .38 Spec. Issue ammo was the old RNL round. They switched to Ruger Security Six's in .357, duty load was the WW 125JHP. During this time, I was reviewing a (then new) first generation Glock 17 for a shooting publication. I was so impressed I bought it, shot it a ton, then was told that it was not on the "approved" list for off duty carry "because it didn't have a safety":p . Just before my retirement, they sent out questionaires regarding purchase of a new duty sidearm (autoloaders). I was a firearm instructor and spoke up for Glocks. They opted instead for a DAO Beretta in .40. (I regard Berettas about one step above a boat anchor, but that's just me) Had the opportunity to fire the one issued to my replacement range officer after I retired and the trigger was a total abomination and the sights were so out of whack it was all either of us could do to hit the paper at 25 yards!! They then swapped out for a different model Beretta before changing again to the Glock in .45 GAP. Interestingly enough, when I was told they weren't an approved for carry due to lack of safety, they were issued to the members of the SERT (SWAT) team. I could go on..............
Welcome aboard...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Gentlemen, I thank you for your welcome. My experience with Glock dates back to it's first introduction as mentioned in my first post, and sadly ended there. Due to my experience competing with 1911's, I admit the grip angle on the Glock was...different....but it was quickly learned and I managed to win several "mouse gun" matches held at various IPSC ranges. During my review, I took it on myself to fire over 5000 rounds of lead bullet reloads (yep, LEAD), without cleaning. I had one FTF at around 3500 rounds where the slide failed to go into battery by a gnat's eyelash. Chamber inspection showed a small ring of lead had built up around the chamber mouth from apparently minute shaving of the lead. I popped it out with a pocket knife and fired another 1500 rounds or so without another malfunction. I popped a few jacketed HP rounds after that and then cleaned it up. Reliable?....youbetcha.:).

I've competed in PPC, IPSC, and skeet at one time or another, and spent most of my time at a reloading bench stuffing cases or casting more bullets. This was back when powder/primers/bullets were REASONABLY priced. Did a lot of gunwriting in the late '70's and early '80's and frankly, I finally just burned myself out. It's been probably 15 years since I've pulled a trigger, but I'm now getting back into things. Looking for a 9mm and it's down to either the Glock 19 or a compact M&P. Glock is the front runner, though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jdw174,
Welcome from PA...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts