Glock Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to use Winchester Ranger T 127 grain +P+ ammo in a generation 1 Glock 19 pistol? If you have any real world experience or knowledge about this please email it to me at: [email protected]. Thanks for any reliable info. If Mas reads this please send your opinions / comments to me.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sorry, don't know much about gen 1s. I know my gen 3 like it...great round btw.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
No experience with that ammo, but I dont know why it would not be safe. Is MAS on this Forum or are you thinking of GT?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have used that for some time in 1st a Gen3 and now a Gen4 model 17. Not sure if it is safe though. It's what my department issues. LOL!

I suggest you contact Glock with this question.
Contact Us | GLOCK USA
Please let us know what they reply. The +P+ t series is a seriously hot load. I fail to see the purpose of it myself as I have found it to be a poor performer vs my favorite hot load 40 cal (Corbon 135 grain JHP) while kicking just as much. I use it because I get it for free and don't have a choice unless I'm going to pay to replace my gun.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 9mm is a great round and the Glock 19 is one of the better choices in a concealed carry weapon. I'm just not a big fan of the load you mention having shot many animals with it myself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I just got off the phone with Glock.
770-432-1202
I had to call them anyway about the Gen4 recoil spring exchange for my duty issued 17. Also about the disappearing C models from the US site. While I was on the phone I asked them about the T series in any model 19. They told me they don't recommend any +P+ ammo in their guns, only +P max and no reloads and no lead (non jacketed ammo). If you are like me and using it because it is your duty issued ammunition I'd take it up with your department armorer if it is an issue. Personally I don't care. If you are using it in a civilian weapon for self defense then I'd recommend you consider the legal side of things. What if you were ever involved in a self defense shooting and had to explain why you were using a +P+ load that is restricted to law enforcement sales? It's not like no one could tell as the case head is clearly stamped +P+. You aren't gaining anything by using that load if you don't have to. If you look at the research available online you'll see that more effective +P loads exist. Like I said I wouldn't use it if I had to buy it but as it's furnished by my department and I don't get a choice I live with it even though in my own experience it really isn't an impressive load.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I just got off the phone with Glock.
770-432-1202
I had to call them anyway about the Gen4 recoil spring exchange for my duty issued 17. Also about the disappearing C models from the US site. While I was on the phone I asked them about the T series in any model 19. They told me they don't recommend any +P+ ammo in their guns, only +P max and no reloads and no lead (non jacketed ammo). If you are like me and using it because it is your duty issued ammunition I'd take it up with your department armorer if it is an issue. Personally I don't care. If you are using it in a civilian weapon for self defense then I'd recommend you consider the legal side of things. What if you were ever involved in a self defense shooting and had to explain why you were using a +P+ load that is restricted to law enforcement sales? It's not like no one could tell as the case head is clearly stamped +P+. You aren't gaining anything by using that load if you don't have to. If you look at the research available online you'll see that more effective +P loads exist. Like I said I wouldn't use it if I had to buy it but as it's furnished by my department and I don't get a choice I live with it even though in my own experience it really isn't an impressive load.
Thanks for the info...By the way, what did they say about the "C" models...?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have to agree with the thinking that it would not be a good idea in a self defense mode to use the +P+ if Glock does not recomend it but I am sure they are just covering their butt for liability reasons. I really see no need for it anyway. Want more power? Get a 10mm.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I personally wouldn't shoot +P+ if Glock didn't recommend it, but +P+ is not an NFS restricted item. Unless your state of residence says you can't possess there is no legal problem with doing so. I, thankfully live in a state with no restrictions outside of NFA.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have to agree with the thinking that it would not be a good idea in a self defense mode to use the +P+ if Glock does not recomend it but I am sure they are just covering their butt for liability reasons. I really see no need for it anyway. Want more power? Get a 10mm.
Awhile after I posted that I saw no need for 9mm +P+ I realized just what one of my favorite cartridges was: 357 SIG. :}

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks for the info...By the way, what did they say about the "C" models...?
I told him I couldn't find them on the US web site but they were still on the European web site. He told me the US web site is updated much more frequently but the C models should still be on it. He said he would look into it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's my understanding and by no means an expert is that Glock does not recommend using +p+ due to increased wear and tear on the gun i.e. parts failure and not safety issue. In other words it won't go kaboom on you but if you shoot +p+ on a regular basis you could be looking at replacing parts like the recoil spring much more often. Like I said only what I have heard and I am in no way an expert on the matter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts