Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife to the range this morning and she loved shooting at the range.

She now wants here own gun!

She can handle my Glock and Beretta 40 cals, but her wrists get tired after a couple of clips. I was thinking something in the 9mm or 380 class. She liked the feel of the Glock 19, the 26 was a bit small.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You could try the G19. It's the compact version 9mm. About the same weight as the G26 with a little longer barrel length helping to reduce the recoil a bit more

·
Registered
21 Posts
This IS the Glock forum, but you might seriously consider getting a .22 if you don't already have one. They poke holes in paper just fine, they are fun and cheap to shoot, and are easy on the shooter while working on basics like trigger control. That would also satisfy her current desire for a gun and buy a bit of time for her to get more experience before settling on a defensive weapon. I am blessed to have a number of guns, but my .22 remains the constant in the mix I carry to the range on any given day.

·
Registered
960 Posts

She can handle my Glock and Beretta 40 cals, but her wrists get tired after a couple of clips. I was thinking something in the 9mm or 380 class. She liked the feel of the Glock 19, the 26 was a bit small.

If she can rack the slide and is comfortable with a 9mm, then the 17 or 19 would be a great option. My better half does much better with a .380, so we got her a Sig Sauer P238. Easy to rack the slide and very controllable. It's fun to shoot too. We are going to get the trigger lightened a little for her, but we do like it! Let her try several options before you buy. Good luck!

Reactions: Nimbus

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Throw me under the bus but there are other guns that might be more comfortable than a Glock for her. Lots of people like a bersa thunder or even a Beretta tomcat. I will say I agree with the .22; my goes to the range with me all the time. There is no better way to extend a shooting secession and teach trigger control. me; my favorite range gun is a browning buckmark. I can't tell you how many people have shot that gun and love it. The best experience when it comes to shooting is a fun one and if someone is beat up with recoil they tend not to want to go back

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Since this is a Glock Forum I have to assume the OP is interested in Glock, therefore I am going to suggest a G19, in addition the OP also mentioned either a 9mm or 380, the G19 is a great midsize (compared to the G26 and G17) handgun.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

Is this strictly for the range, or would a CCW be in the picture...?
That's cool that you're getting her involved at the range...If she's just wanting to plink, a .22 would be good to learn effective shooting. Then she could also shoot yours...I agree with the G19, but then again, she needs to like it..Sounds like she does, so you might see how many rounds she can shoot before tiring her wrist...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. CCW is a factor, she takes her class next weekend. I will add a .22 to the picture as well. The local range has a G19 rental available, so we will try that before we buy, along with a Sig.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would suggest the G19 if she wants a 9mm. If all she wants to do is target shoot at the range, get her a .22 cal. Try the Ruger SR22. If all I was going to do is target shoot that is what I would do.

Steve

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice. CCW is a factor, she takes her class next weekend. I will add a .22 to the picture as well. The local range has a G19 rental available, so we will try that before we buy, along with a Sig.
Cool...keep us updated on the class, and the choice...happy Glocking...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice to see another lady likes to shoot. I have a Ruger .22 Mark II that I plink around with before and after I practice with my carry. She might really enjoy doing this and it is cheap to shoot. Great way to build skills and confidence at a cheap price. I carry an sr9c right now but I am looking at a Glock 19 Gen 3. Wanting to investigate and get some opinions before I decide to buy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know it's a glock forum ... but buy her something that feels good in her hand ... My wife LOVES our 17 and 22 and her brothers 19 ... What ever gun feels good to her is the right gun IMO ... that way you guys can go shoot more together !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wife scored a 98 on her range test portion of the carry class (and a 100 on the written). She loves the 19, and it great at shooting it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts