Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL!!!!!

Found this forum and decided to join. I am new at shooting guns. Never shot one before in my life. My brother got a Glock 32 and he convinced me to get one to go target shooting with him at the range so I went to the gun shop and got a new Glock 23 Gen 3. I gotta pick it up Saturday so I still have time to change my mind and get something else if I want.

My question to you experts is this:

I have been reading that the 23 Gen 4 is a better gun than the Gen 3 and vice versa I have read horror stories of the Gen 4. The guy at the gun shop told me he can order me a Gen 4 if I want it but he said that as an owner of a Gen 3 that he is, he prefers that model because the Gen 3 has been tested and proven.

So, what is your opinion about this? Do you think the Gen 4 is better than the Gen 3? Your help will greatly help me in my decision Saturday.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I've heard the same thing. about GEN3 and GEN4 guns I don't think there would be a wrong answer. You have a Glock practically in your hand now, a reliable time proven design or a newer design that had a few hiccups, as all new things go through. I went through something like it, buy a Gen3 G26 ( what I really wanted) that was available, or wait for a Gen4 G27 that I could have got a great deal on. It all boiled down to me being impatient.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think the Gen4 is better, I have fired them both, but I am biased as I own a Gen4 G22. I like the grip on the G4 better, and the newer recoil spring. I also like the adjustable back strap and the Gen4 comes with three mags rather than 2. That said both are good. Have you rented one to see if you like it? Do you really want .40 cal - a lot of people don't like .40 cal, I like it but others don't. One nice thing is you can buy a conversion barrel and get a G19 magazine and shoot 9mm out of it as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you would enjoy both equally. They're both Glocks after all. One thing to keep in mind is the grips. I got the gen4 Glock 19 because I have small hands and the gen4 grips are just a hair smaller, so it worked better for me. I don't care for .40 cal, but you will prolly like it okay. You can always buy another Glock if you want a 9mm or .45!!! Like kirbinster said...3 mags is better than 2!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
You would be well served with GEN 3 or GEN 4, I have both and i like the grip texture of the GEN 4 better than the GEN 3, but as you can see by my signature I have 7 GEN 3s and Only 1 GEN 4. Thats just the way it worked out, I wanted a certain model and if it was there, GEN 3 or GEN 4, I bought it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
HI ALL!!!!!

Found this forum and decided to join. I am new at shooting guns. Never shot one before in my life. My brother got a Glock 32 and he convinced me to get one to go target shooting with him at the range so I went to the gun shop and got a new Glock 23 Gen 3. I gotta pick it up Saturday so I still have time to change my mind and get something else if I want.

My question to you experts is this:

I have been reading that the 23 Gen 4 is a better gun than the Gen 3 and vice versa I have read horror stories of the Gen 4. The guy at the gun shop told me he can order me a Gen 4 if I want it but he said that as an owner of a Gen 3 that he is, he prefers that model because the Gen 3 has been tested and proven.

So, what is your opinion about this? Do you think the Gen 4 is better than the Gen 3? Your help will greatly help me in my decision Saturday.

Thanks in advance

if you did ZERO research at all prior to purchase, shame on you ;). However, you must have gotten lucky because it is one hell of a weapon!! I carry a g23 gen3 off duty and i love it. no different really from the Gen4 besides the recoil spring and grips. You will not go wrong with this weapon. A general, all around, do all weapon.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have only fired third gen Glocks and they have all been nice so far. I bet the third or fourth gen will serve you well. If you have never shot a gun before my one piece of advice would be to read up about grip and trigger control and watch your thumbs to make sure they are not in the path of the slide when shooting a semi auto! Ok so maybe that was two tips :) I personally like the 40, it's a little snappy compared to a 9mm but its not bad. I think it's more fun in a way. And the ammo is a bit easier to find than the 9mm or 45 in this time where all the ammo is being snatched up as soon as it hits the shelves. Best of luck and enjoy that new Glock!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you did ZERO research at all prior to purchase, shame on you ;). However, you must have gotten lucky because it is one hell of a weapon!! I carry a g23 gen3 off duty and i love it. no different really from the Gen4 besides the recoil spring and grips. You will not go wrong with this weapon. A general, all around, do all weapon.

I have did do my reasearch sir and from what I kept reading, everyone seemed to prefer the G3 over the G4 because of the recoil spring problems and minor annoyances such as the over sized magazine release button that is more prone to be clicked by "accident" than the one on the G3. When I went to the gun store, all they had was G3s but like I said, I paid for it but I have to wait the 3 days so my pick up day is Saturday. They told me if I change my mind and want another gun, I can do that Saturday. They did not have any G23 G4 in stock yesterday when I went to get it, but he said that if I decided to go for the G4 that they could order it for me, so I am torn right now. I don't know what to do :(

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I would have purchased a 9mm as a first gun instead of a .40. Not because its a better caliber but because it is easier to shoot which means it would be easier to control making for a more pleasurable experience.

That being said you will love your G23, I love both of mine. Full disclosure both of mine are gen4 because I like the grip texture better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have purchased a 9mm as a first gun instead of a .40. Not because its a better caliber but because it is easier to shoot which means it would be easier to control making for a more pleasurable experience.

That being said you will love your G23, I love both of mine. Full disclosure both of mine are gen4 because I like the grip texture better.
I was thinking about a 9mm but they told me the ammo is very, very hard to get for those right now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't know that there is any such thing as a "bad" Glock. I love 'em all. I bought my first one, a model 19, in 1988. Still have it. My primary carry weapon is a 23 purchased in 1990. Also have a 27 bought in late '96 and another 23 (Gen 3) purchased in 2010. My next one will likely be one of the .45 models. Between the original 23 bought in '90 and the 2010 Gen 3, my personal preference is the older one. Maybe it's just because I've been training with and carrying it for 20+ years. Either way, in my opinion, if you go with a Glock, you can't go wrong!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know that there is any such thing as a "bad" Glock. I love 'em all. I bought my first one, a model 19, in 1988. Still have it. My primary carry weapon is a 23 purchased in 1990. Also have a 27 bought in late '96 and another 23 (Gen 3) purchased in 2010. My next one will likely be one of the .45 models. Between the original 23 bought in '90 and the 2010 Gen 3, my personal preference is the older one. Maybe it's just because I've been training with and carrying it for 20+ years. Either way, in my opinion, if you go with a Glock, you can't go wrong!
And you are right. Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's better. I can't wait till Saturday to go get it and shoot it at the range.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe, but I am sure someone will correct me if not the case, that the early gen4's had a recoil spring issue but that was only in the 9mm guns. In either case, they came out with a replacement and that is not an issue in any new one you would be buying today. I highly suggest sticking with the .40 cal rather than the 9mm. The reason I say this is that as I mentioned you can get a conversion barrel to fire 9mm from the .40 cal gun but not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ammo is hard to find for all the popular calibers. 9mm is a VERY popular caliber so I would assume it may be a little more scarce. My argument was more perfect world than the current situation we find ourselves in.

I just think its easier to learn to shoot properly with the 9 than the .40. But I have 6 weapons chambered in .40. I love the caliber. And I love my G23...both of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just came from the local Walmart and that store is huge. The guy at the sporting goods section told me that he had cops from the police department come in asking for ammo but there is none. That is terrible. He said Walmart has a BIG shipment coming but it may be by mid April. This shortage thing is crazy. Not even cops have bullets...LOL

I also read on CNN that the Defense Department told the US Armed Forces to, and I quote, "Save every bullet."

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm starting to think that there is no real shortage. Just panic buying and greed taking over. I say that because my local stores are getting shipments in throughout the week. The problem is the hoarders and ammo price gougers. We have a website around here called midwest gun trader. Kind of like a craigslist for guns and ammo. There are tons of people trying to price gouge on there. They post a $20 box of 22lr for $50-$70. I hope it will all die down soon. I don't hoard ammo but like to keep a decent stash to go to the range with and have some fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm starting to think that there is no real shortage. Just panic buying and greed taking over. I say that because my local stores are getting shipments in throughout the week. The problem is the hoarders and ammo price gougers. We have a website around here called midwest gun trader. Kind of like a craigslist for guns and ammo. There are tons of people trying to price gouge on there. They post a $20 box of 22lr for $50-$70. I hope it will all die down soon. I don't hoard ammo but like to keep a decent stash to go to the range with and have some fun!

You are 100% correct my friend, The ammo hoarders went into panic mode when Obama and company mentioned the words "Gun and Ammo Control" and now we are all suffering because they all went out and bought every bit of ammo they could find and left us regular folks without anything.

...And then people wonder why the government doesn't tell the truth about aliens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.