Glock Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all from Ohio (Oxford/Westerville),

I'm making the jump to Glock but am torn as to which one to get. Primary use will be CCW (IWB, OWB, Pocket depending on clothing) but I like to shoot so will be in some range time. I'm leaning toward the Glock 19 or the Glock 26. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
Michael
USAF 25+ years

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gunny down the hall bought a 19, felt good. But I had been looking at a 26. I agree probably gonna need both. Now to convince the wife!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
They both will do you good. No Glock will serve as a pocket gun unless your pants are made of nylon and can quickly convert into a survival tent :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome aboard...Similar thread on here right now... Everyone will have an opinion...but that's what they are...opinions. No one can tell you what is best for you. What you really will need to do is shoot both of these fairly extensively, and see what feels best, and which one you shoot the best... Most of the time, one gun will be both...You'll know which is your best choice...For the most part, you will learn to adapt your carry method to situations, seasons, etc... Good luck in the process...You made decide you want both, like shardy53 said...lol :)
Let us know what you decide on...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
They both will do you good. No Glock will serve as a pocket gun unless your pants are made of nylon and can quickly convert into a survival tent :)
ZK's right...not really a pocket pistol...possibly in cargo pockets, but that's not really handy or practical...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just bought a G19 that I am totaly impressed with, but It will never take the place of my Kahr CM9 for DEEP concealment. That being said, the G19 is the better all around gun and can be concealed in a holster under a shirt or jacket.

Steve

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
what is your main reason? home defense... G19..... carry in dress cloths....G26.... but either on is a fine gun. Me; I have a G23 and a G26 but something to remember if you get a G23 you can buy a 9mm barrel but if you get a G19 thats it no barrel change

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
If you're gonna have one Glock make it G19. G26 would be better for CCW but it's a bit small as a range gun IMO, G19 is just fine for the range (G17 is even better) and is still small enough to conceal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was in this same boat a couple months ago where I was weighing the 19 and 26. I really like the idea of the 26 for concealment, but I had to face reality that I am not an everyday carry and spend a lot of time at the range target shooting where the full grip and longer sight radius work better. I also found that the 19 conceals quite well and the 26 isn't really that small relative to what I need in a good concealer (thinness) since it is just as wide as the 19.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If you're gonna have one Glock make it G19. G26 would be better for CCW but it's a bit small as a range gun IMO, G19 is just fine for the range (G17 is even better) and is still small enough to conceal.
This.

For one that does it all, you can't beat a G19.

However, if you think you'll add another in the future, get a G26 now, then add a G17 later :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Sometimes when CCing a wardrobe change is in order for a lot of people. Myself; I had to give up a lot of tee shirts because of the way I am shaped and found that darker button up shirts cover the gun better and give me access without fighting the shirt and a size bigger on the pants if you are carrying IWB

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome aboard...Similar thread on here right now... Everyone will have an opinion...but that's what they are...opinions. No one can tell you what is best for you. What you really will need to do is shoot both of these fairly extensively, and see what feels best, and which one you shoot the best... Most of the time, one gun will be both...You'll know which is your best choice...For the most part, you will learn to adapt your carry method to situations, seasons, etc... Good luck in the process...You made decide you want both, like shardy53 said...lol :)
Let us know what you decide on...
What he said !

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sometimes when CCing a wardrobe change is in order for a lot of people. Myself; I had to give up a lot of tee shirts because of the way I am shaped and found that darker button up shirts cover the gun better and give me access without fighting the shirt and a size bigger on the pants if you are carrying IWB
Dark, patterned shirts are a CC'ers best friend :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree that the width of the frame is a big problem with concealed carry with any Glock. That said, the next 'issue' IMO is grip length since, for me, that seems to be what really prints under a shirt. I have carried a G23 a good bit and that has been my main gripe. The G26 is mighty attractive from that perspective.

If you get into a situation where you need your gun, you are going to want a full size pistol (okay, I'd really prefer an assault rifle...) with lots of ammo. But serious concealed carry is about finding a compromise you can live with day-in and day-out so that when the need actually arises you haven't left the Big Iron at home because you were just running out to buy some beer at half time. I think the subcompact Glocks lend themselves to this. For pocket carry, I like a S&W J frame. Its shape doesn't scream GUN the way a lot of pocket pistols do, and I haven't found any real pocket pistols that seem very reliable. The li'l revolver will go bang five times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
G26.

With Glocks, you can always "upsize" but you can't downsize. If you get the G19 and it doesn't conceal well for you, you're stuck. If you get the G26 and you feel naked with only 10 rounds in the mag, you can always carry a larger mag as your 2nd mag.

So say you need to use your G26, you empty your 1st clip, and if for some reason that wasn't enough, you put in a G19 mag of 15 rounds. This allows you to carry concealed a lot easier, but then still have an impressive amount of firepower at your disposal.

Personally, I'm going with the 12 round mags since it gives you a grip for your pinky (although I don't need it) while maintaining the low profile of the G26, but I will carry a G19 or G17 mag as my backup.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with PirateJim. I carry my Glock 17 almost always and Glock 20 alot too. I have a Glock 19 and 26 also. The actual difference in size between the 19 and 17 or even the 26 and 17 is negligable. I am 5'9" 155lbs and I carry IWB hybrid holster, no problem concealing the 17. If I need my weapon, I want the one that is the most accurate, most magazine capacity and biggest grip. The smaller grips on the 19 and 26 can hinder your draw speed and control. If I ever wear clothing that requires a smaller gun it is my LCP in my pocket. With the 17 you don't need extra mags, less stuff to conceal, no changing mags. Go big. I've been carring my 17 since 1986, never had a problem concealing it. I carried it for many years before it was legal to do so, never had a problem with concealing it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts