Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did something very stupid...had both G35 and G23 broken down and cleaning. I wanted to see what the 35 barrel would look like on the 23 slide & frame. Of course the gun is locked up now and I cannot get the slide to more forward to release off of the lower receiver. I have to keep the trigger pulled get the slide to move at all, but it's hung-up on something and will not go forward enough to release the slide from the receiver. HELP?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
There will be someone along soon to help you, we had another situation not too long ago where somone put a longer barrell in a shorter frame.
And Welcome to the Forum !!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
The slide has to move backwards to get the slide lock to release the slide. I am guessing because I can't see what you did but have you tried to take the trigger pin out to release the pressure on the underside of the slide. I can only assume it is the trigger bar stopping the slide from moving

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it...had to remove the rear slide plate, release the firing pin, then the whole slide slid forward and off the lower. I'm thinking I did not have the spring on the bottom notch before I assembled.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Got it...had to remove the rear slide plate, release the firing pin, then the whole slide slid forward and off the lower. I'm thinking I did not have the spring on the bottom notch before I assembled.
Thanks for the reply.
Welcome!

I've done something like that before where I forgot the put the spring in :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
so how did you remove the rear plate while still on the gun ?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
so how did you remove the rear plate while still on the gun ?
In my case (no spring inside), I could move the slide backwards just enough to reach the spacer sleeve & take pressure off the cover plate.

In class, the instructor showed us a way to remove the plate from the back using one of the openings. I haven't tried it, but it looked like a handy trick.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
In my case (no spring inside), I could move the slide backwards just enough to reach the spacer sleeve & take pressure off the cover plate.

In class, the instructor showed us a way to remove the plate from the back using one of the openings. I haven't tried it, but it looked like a handy trick.
Had an issue with mine one day and had to do the same thing. It's easy as long as you can get to the sleeve.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts

I can see that this would be possible through the whole to the right (looking at the gun from the rear) but this would take a specialized tool or made one that was extremely strong and very small bend at the tip. I know they sell a half plate so you can work on the insides with the gun assembled.

You mentioned the spring assembly not being in the gun. Without it the gun won't disassemble the regular way? Mine won't go together unless the spring is in the proper place and have never had the pleasure of putting it together without the spring

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
what happened?
I think the root cause was that the firing pin safety spring turned sideways under the firing pin safety during reassembly causing the slide to not come off because it was blocking forward movement. I could retract the slide so I just removed the guts of the slide to relieve pressure and it slid right off.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I can see that this would be possible through the whole to the right (looking at the gun from the rear) but this would take a specialized tool or made one that was extremely strong and very small bend at the tip. I know they sell a half plate so you can work on the insides with the gun assembled.

You mentioned the spring assembly not being in the gun. Without it the gun won't disassemble the regular way? Mine won't go together unless the spring is in the proper place and have never had the pleasure of putting it together without the spring
I don't remember what tool he said to use, but it wasn't specialized - was either a small flathead or the Glock tool I think. I'll play around with it when I get a chance and see if I can remember.

Yeah, was all excited when I got my Gen4 G17 and after taking it apart and examining it (it was my first Gen4), I just spaced on the spring. It definitely went back together, but the slide wouldn't move forward and back off the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pulling the trigger released the slide to pull it back and lock. I'm thinking the spring was not set down all the way before reassembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a G32 barrel I switch into my G27 when at the range and have had no problems yet. [The 27 is converted to .357Sig]. I use a Lone Wolf .357 barrel that is slightly longer than standard for EDC.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have a G32 barrel I switch into my G27 when at the range and have had no problems yet. [The 27 is converted to .357Sig]. I use a Lone Wolf .357 barrel that is slightly longer than standard for EDC.
Cool...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts